Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...seless+players

The proposed rule will mirror the penalty for fighting. If the foul occurs in the first half of a game, the player is ejected for the remainder of the game. If the foul occurs in the second half or overtime of a game, the player is ejected for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next contest.

The committee has also decided, in an effort to address concerns when one of these plays is erroneously called, to make the ejection portion of the penalty reviewable through video replay. The replay official must have conclusive evidence that a player should not be ejected to overturn the call on the field. Additionally, a post-game conference review remains part of the rule and conferences always have the ability to add to a sanction.
    Actually, I don't have any issue with this because it does allow for video review. But I do think that any ejections should be automatically reviewed instead of merely subject to review.

Also, I am sure that Boise St. and Eastern Washington won't like the rule about having either the jersey or the pants contrast the playing field.
    Lucky #13

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

Why don't we just make it illegal to tackle and be done with it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

No.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    Might as well
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well, there's always flag football, or 2-hand touch...
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

Might as well.

The definition of a defenseless player makes defenses defenseless. It completely nullifies the safety as an enforcer and completely opens up the middle of the field for all types of crossing patterns. I get the sentiment and I'm all for the spirit of the changes in the name of player safety, but good grief!
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

A player is only "defenseless" after the whistle, imo

This stuff is getting beyond ridiculous

I could see kicking a player out for something egregious, something over the top, but automatic ejection? I saw some bad calls, and it seems like they could throw out anyone who hits a player above the shoulder. I guess they should start taking out knees, huh?
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Would this still be allowed?? Seems the D would be getting a raw deal if so,\.........

My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

IMO, the new rule will have to consider whether the offensive player lowers his head, thereby guaranteeing a head-to-head hit.

IIRC, PTI was discussing the concussion issue when the report came out about Junior Seau. I think it was Chris Mortensen said he reviewed NFL games from the 60's and early 70's, more specifically big hitters like Dick Butkus. He said that back then, players lead with their shoulders, not their heads. And, they usually didn't target the other player's head. I would like to see the game played that way again.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Why not just leave it to the arbitrary opinion of Tim Brando what constitutes a flagrant foul and suspension? I'm sure he could light up Twitter with his anti-Alabama nonsense.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

Not even considering the way it affects the way the game is played, my bigger concern is do we want to give officials more leeway in their judgments. You could see a kid suspended like the S from Ole Miss for a good clean hit, but other ones that were dirty go unpunished just based on the crew of officials. There's too much variation in the enforcement of a judgment penalty (here: what is the definition of a defenseless player) that players won't know what is acceptable and what is not.

Even helmet to helmet is problematic because an offensive player can lower their head (and some are being taught to do that).

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless player

It should be hitting above the shoulders, or is that what they define targeting is. Either way, it will be stupid because sometimes it is incidentally especially when the offensive player lowers his head.
    ROLL TIDE!