Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless player

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    It should be hitting above the shoulders, or is that what they define targeting is. Either way, it will be stupid because sometimes it is incidentally especially when the offensive player lowers his head.
    It's going to be a mess more likely than not. The more the officials are involved is not always for the best regardless of intent.
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

Quote Originally Posted by TidefaninOS View Post
    Well, there's always flag football, or 2-hand touch...
    If this is true, then how many people would be in Bryant-Denny Stadium on a Saturday game day? Answer, the coaches, the players and possibly mom and dad and little brother and sister. By the way, bring your own refreshments. No security needed. Oh! We don't have enough money for uniforms, so players will need to buy their own. Since football pays for most other sports we will need to drop every sport except those sports that are making money.

Football would be DEAD on arrival with 2-hand touch or flag (NOT foot)ball!

By the way, would there be more crime since nobody on the farm or in the hood would have anything positive to participate in.

Maybe we could have UA professors come to the stadium and fill it to the brim for a lecture. They could use the TV screens for PowerPoints to make it easier to take notes.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

The game is changing that's for sure..Football has always been a rough sport since its creation..That's part of its popularity..The players know its a dangerous sport..When I played in high school..I knew every time I put the pads on..There was a chance I may end up in the ER..Nobody is forcing them to play..It's a personal decision to put their bodies in harm way..Leave the game alone before they kill the sport..

Interesting that Shaw said after the SECCG that mere helmet to helmet contact would never be penalized because it happened on 80% of all plays. I guess that will be re-thought...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Can we get rid of the stupid sit out a play if your helmet falls off? I thought for sure that rule was gone, I saw that crap abused more than any rule I've ever seen. Lacy had his helmet ripped off multiple times in the Michigan game and I believe the Mizzou game.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1224 View Post
    Can we get rid of the stupid sit out a play if your helmet falls off? I thought for sure that rule was gone, I saw that crap abused more than any rule I've ever seen. Lacy had his helmet ripped off multiple times in the Michigan game and I believe the Mizzou game.
    When it's ripped off, if needs to be a penalty. I saw that only a few times, when it was ripped off with the face guard. It should be right up there with face mask and horse collar, then it wouldn't be so popular. OTOH, it's a hard call when it happens down under the pile, where the refs can't really see it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Ok something else for SEC officials to screw up.

BamaNation All-American

Seems to me that if this rule is to be adopted then ALL officials should be shown an example of this type hit and all leagues should sponsor a training day for officials and coaches to include on field and video training. This then is given to the players in practice. Won't prevent all related "bad" calls but could go a long way in implementing the intent of the rule (player safety) and when it should/should not be called. Maybe something like this is included/planned for??

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    When it's ripped off, if needs to be a penalty. I saw that only a few times, when it was ripped off with the face guard. It should be right up there with face mask and horse collar, then it wouldn't be so popular. OTOH, it's a hard call when it happens down under the pile, where the refs can't really see it...
    Yeah the one against Eddie in the championship game and Hubbard against Michigan were times it was recognized by refs because it was not in a pile. But i remember another play in the michigan game where eddies got ripped off, when he got to the sideline the coaches were yelling at him and you could see him say they ripped it offf.

I watch way too much college football though and saw it affect too many other games. Georgia tech had their qbs ripped off on a 3rd and goal situation. They has do go for it with a backup qb.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot30 View Post
    IMO, the new rule will have to consider whether the offensive player lowers his head, thereby guaranteeing a head-to-head hit.

IIRC, PTI was discussing the concussion issue when the report came out about Junior Seau. I think it was Chris Mortensen said he reviewed NFL games from the 60's and early 70's, more specifically big hitters like Dick Butkus. He said that back then, players lead with their shoulders, not their heads. And, they usually didn't target the other player's head. I would like to see the game played that way again.
    I played high school ball in the late 60's early 70's and we were taught to use the shoulder and protect your head. I made a mistake when tackling a big fullback once and paid for it with a knee to the head. Hello birdies.

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Keep in mind that this is not the NFL. Most will never see the NFL. If we can protect college players without effecting the game too much, I'm all for it. Its all a matter of degree, pun intended.

The more international/European sports do a much better job regulating this sort of thing. Whether it's soccer, rugby, Aussie Rules, whatever - for things like "targeting" and hard fouls, it's not automatic, it's up to the discretion of the ref. Whenever you call for automatic ejections for this sort of thing, two things happen:

1) It gives the refs a chance to react FAR to strongly to something that wasn't targeting, but incidental contact, and negatively impact the game.

2) It makes the game MORE dangerous, because instead of calling a penalty for a defenseless player, an official doesn't call it because he knows he also has to eject the player.

To take an example from a somewhat recent game of our - the Tyrann Mathieu facemask on Dre in '11, penalty called, but totally unsportsmanlike and potentially with deliberate intent to injure. Should have easily been ejected, but there's no room for the ref's discretion.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the refs eject a player at their discretion as it is? Or do they really have their hands tied? I always thought if a player said or did something bad enough, the refs had the right to eject the player without finding some sort of rule that says automatic ejection.

If that isn't the case, there should be a rule that allows for ejections in the case of egregious actions (like the Mathieu mugging). If they are allowed to do that, then there is no need for more rules. If they see something really bad, tell them to throw the player out.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"