Link: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless players)

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Seems to me that if this rule is to be adopted then ALL officials should be shown an example of this type hit and all leagues should sponsor a training day for officials and coaches to include on field and video training. This then is given to the players in practice. Won't prevent all related "bad" calls but could go a long way in implementing the intent of the rule (player safety) and when it should/should not be called. Maybe something like this is included/planned for??

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
When it's ripped off, if needs to be a penalty. I saw that only a few times, when it was ripped off with the face guard. It should be right up there with face mask and horse collar, then it wouldn't be so popular. OTOH, it's a hard call when it happens down under the pile, where the refs can't really see it...
Yeah the one against Eddie in the championship game and Hubbard against Michigan were times it was recognized by refs because it was not in a pile. But i remember another play in the michigan game where eddies got ripped off, when he got to the sideline the coaches were yelling at him and you could see him say they ripped it offf.

I watch way too much college football though and saw it affect too many other games. Georgia tech had their qbs ripped off on a 3rd and goal situation. They has do go for it with a backup qb.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
IMO, the new rule will have to consider whether the offensive player lowers his head, thereby guaranteeing a head-to-head hit.

IIRC, PTI was discussing the concussion issue when the report came out about Junior Seau. I think it was Chris Mortensen said he reviewed NFL games from the 60's and early 70's, more specifically big hitters like Dick Butkus. He said that back then, players lead with their shoulders, not their heads. And, they usually didn't target the other player's head. I would like to see the game played that way again.
I played high school ball in the late 60's early 70's and we were taught to use the shoulder and protect your head. I made a mistake when tackling a big fullback once and paid for it with a knee to the head. Hello birdies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Keep in mind that this is not the NFL. Most will never see the NFL. If we can protect college players without effecting the game too much, I'm all for it. Its all a matter of degree, pun intended.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The more international/European sports do a much better job regulating this sort of thing. Whether it's soccer, rugby, Aussie Rules, whatever - for things like "targeting" and hard fouls, it's not automatic, it's up to the discretion of the ref. Whenever you call for automatic ejections for this sort of thing, two things happen:

1) It gives the refs a chance to react FAR to strongly to something that wasn't targeting, but incidental contact, and negatively impact the game.

2) It makes the game MORE dangerous, because instead of calling a penalty for a defenseless player, an official doesn't call it because he knows he also has to eject the player.

To take an example from a somewhat recent game of our - the Tyrann Mathieu facemask on Dre in '11, penalty called, but totally unsportsmanlike and potentially with deliberate intent to injure. Should have easily been ejected, but there's no room for the ref's discretion.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the refs eject a player at their discretion as it is? Or do they really have their hands tied? I always thought if a player said or did something bad enough, the refs had the right to eject the player without finding some sort of rule that says automatic ejection.

If that isn't the case, there should be a rule that allows for ejections in the case of egregious actions (like the Mathieu mugging). If they are allowed to do that, then there is no need for more rules. If they see something really bad, tell them to throw the player out.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Seems to me that if this rule is to be adopted then ALL officials should be shown an example of this type hit and all leagues should sponsor a training day for officials and coaches to include on field and video training. This then is given to the players in practice. Won't prevent all related "bad" calls but could go a long way in implementing the intent of the rule (player safety) and when it should/should not be called. Maybe something like this is included/planned for??

They already do this. All training is standardized. It doesn't seem to help does it? The problem is even with video evidence, interpretations of the rules can be different and things happen so fast, they don't always process everything that happens at the moment. With video replay, you lose an element (intent of the hit) when it is slow motion.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They already do this. All training is standardized. It doesn't seem to help does it? The problem is even with video evidence, interpretations of the rules can be different and things happen so fast, they don't always process everything that happens at the moment. With video replay, you lose an element (intent of the hit) when it is slow motion.
Good points. Sometimes we don't realize the speed with which they're expected to react. I've long thought that the reason there are so many bad calls in basketball is that the action is fast and continuous. Granted, they don't have as many players to watch, but there're not so many of the officials, either...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NCAA proposed rule changes (includes ejections for targeting defenseless player

The main discussion has been about the big proposal: ejecting players. Here are the others proposed:

2. Blocking below the waist. The NCAA has tried (and largely failed) over the last two years to streamline the ruling on blocks below the waist. To help make a difficult call easier for on-field officials, the committee proposed that any block below the waist that occurs in front of a defender is legal; all other blocks below the waist are not.

3. Clock runoff. The committee proposed a 10-second clock runoff with less than a minute left in either half "when the sole reason for the clock to stop is an injury." This rule would join one already in place forcing a 10-second runoff for an offensive penalty with less than a minute remaining in either half. While this does not prevent teams from feigning injury during normal play – like several teams have done to slow down Oregon's offense – it does eliminate the chance that an offensive player would choose to go down on the field to give his team more time to regroup during a no-huddle situation.

4. Spiking the football. This might be the strangest proposal: The committee suggested that an offense be prohibited from spiking the ball and stopping the clock with less than three seconds on the clock. Instead, the team could only run an offensive play with one or two seconds remaining.

This won't be popular. What happens when your team, down two points, hits a big gain to inside the opposition's red zone with two seconds left? If you're out of timeouts, the rule would prevent a team from spiking the ball and kicking a field goal. Instead, it would be on the quarterback to throw a game-winning score as time expired.

5. Number changes. In a potential nod to USC, which was accused of such gamesmanship during a win over Colorado, the committee proposed a rule requiring a team to announce to an official when a player switches numbers during the course of a game. The official will then announce the changed number, which would prevent a team from deceiving an opponent.

6. Same number at same position. Similarly to the rule above, the committee proposed a rule preventing teams from having players who play the same position share the same number. For example, having two quarterbacks who share the same number could, yes, deceive the opposition.

8. Electronic communication. I'll let the rules committee describe this one: "To allow the use of electronic communication by the on-field officiating crew after successful experimentation by the Southeastern Conference. This is not a required piece of equipment but will allow officiating crews to use this tool."

Old-school refereeing: Officials talk like normal human beings, face-to-face and in person. New-school refereeing: Officials can talk remotely, from one end of the field to another. Whatever increases communication between officiating crews is good for football. Let's try this one out with Pac-12 officials, please.

9. Eighth official. If passed, this rule would allow the Big 12 to use an eighth official during conference games. The added official would line up alongside the referee in the backfield. Another set of eyes can't hurt. Let's give the Pac-12 an extra official.

10. More instant replay. In the past, officials could only use instant replay to adjust the clock at the end of each half. If passed, this rule would give officials the right to use replay to measure time at the end of each quarter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.