Texas says they are banning commits visits elsewhere

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
Just one more visit on this. I read the title and the article. A sports writer wrote the title to the article. A poster here wrote the thread title. My point is that if you read the article, which is what this thread is based on, Brown just said that being committed should mean you're committed and if you look, then they'll look too. Look, Shop, same-o, same-o. Didn't see the word 'banned' anywhere. Where is that different from what CNS said? Before anyone gives me a cow call, I was in Pasadena in '09 and I wasn't wearing burnt orange. If there's an article here that I missed stating these other things, my apologies.
Man, when do they give out shorts, assign numbers, something, anything, I need some football!!

Denisevi4

3rd Team
Aug 9, 2006
I don't know why people saying that this strategy would definitely hurt Texas. Think about it more and try to put yourself on a commit's place.

Let's say a kid is committed to Texas. There is no doubt that it's a great school to be at. But let's say the kid has doubts that maybe there is a better place out there. Maybe there is, maybe not. Is it worth trying to visit other school, knowing that he's going to lose a spot at Texas? Most probably not.

Actually, does anyone remember when Kiffin was just hired, they started their "recruiting". Saban specifically banned several our commits to visit Tennessee. He knew that something fishy was going on there. The kids could visit any other school but not Tennessee, otherwise he'd pull the offer. Result? Kids did not visit them and signed LOI with Alabama. But there were several commits from other SEC schools that traveled there and flipped to Tennessee that year. Jackson, Teague and Richardson come to mind, but maybe there was somebody else.

I actually think for a team like Texas, this is a better strategy in the end. But you must stick with it, otherwise it will not work.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Parent's perspective - I would not allow my child to commit to a school until he/she had visited all of the schools in which he/she expressed an interest. I take my role as a parent seriously, and I expect my children to show integrity in everything that they do. Saying that you are "committed" to a school when you have not made up your mind to attend that school is fundamentally wrong. If you are not certain, identify your favorites but refrain from committing. How is that difficult?

Most of these kids keep their commitments, so the concept can't be all that difficult to grasp. I certainly don't blame coaches for clarifying their position.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
funny..my goodness ol' Mack is on his last leg
This...and I think it will backfire. Texas only has decent classes because they load up on in-state talent really early in the process. This will keep kids from committing early, look around, and have time to discover better things.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This...and I think it will backfire. Texas only has decent classes because they load up on in-state talent really early in the process. This will keep kids from committing early, look around, and have time to discover better things.
I've said this before, but I think some of the "legendary" UT recruiting classes have more "legend" in them than the number of stars they're allocated. It's a big state and they just play each other and it's a 100% spread state. Sometimes you can't go just on "measurables."

I've said this before, but I think some of the "legendary" UT recruiting classes have more "legend" in them than the number of stars they're allocated. It's a big state and they just play each other and it's a 100% spread state. Sometimes you can't go just on "measurables."
Spread state? I was sure it was a state that played power football! ;)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Spread state? I was sure it was a state the played power football! ;)
They sure don't practice against it. Why should they? During my time at UA was when Bobby Dodd was accusing Coach Bryant of teaching "brutal" football. A friend of mine, Bobby Solomon, signed with GA Tech out of HS and played end for them (two ways). Sometime during the four years he played for them, I ran into him and he told me about his practices. Mostly, they played volleyball. He said that the practices at Decatur HS under Coach Shorty (6'9") Ogle were much more grueling than anything he ever had to do at GT. Also, Bobby was not a smoke-blower. He had other offers, but he was a bright kid and wanted to be an engineer, so that's where he went...

They sure don't practice against it. Why should they? During my time at UA was when Bobby Dodd was accusing Coach Bryant of teaching "brutal" football. A friend of mine, Bobby Solomon, signed with GA Tech out of HS and played end for them (two ways). Sometime during the four years he played for them, I ran into him and he told me about his practices. Mostly, they played volleyball. He said that the practices at Decatur HS under Coach Shorty (6'9") Ogle were much more grueling than anything he ever had to do at GT. Also, Bobby was not a smoke-blower. He had other offers, but he was a bright kid and wanted to be an engineer, so that's where he went...
Volleyball? Wow!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.