Chances of our winning the SEC tournament!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think that we can win the SEC tournament provided we get the 2nd seed and avoid Florida. A perfect scenario is that we are on the other side of the bracket and Florida loses a game on thier side since they will already have a spot wrapped up in the Big Dance. Their only motivation would getting a higher seed.

Ole Miss seems to be slumping and we have a great chance of getting the 2nd seed. I think the SEC may be a 1 bid league this year and we do not get in unless we win the SEC tournament. I don't see any reason this does not play out as long as we hold up our end.

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
Re: Chances of us wining the SEC tournament!

We gotta lock up one of the double-byes, and then who knows how things could play out?

It is time we added another SECTC though!

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

I realize this is a message board and all, but this is a classic example of putting the cart before the horse.

I guess if you're gonna dream, dream BIG!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Bama's chances of getting the #2 seed went up Tuesday night with this...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I realize this is a message board and all, but this is a classic example of putting the cart before the horse.

I guess if you're gonna dream, dream BIG!
Look at the league standings today and the remaining schedule. We are tied with UK for 2nd with games left against some of the lesser teams in the league. The 2 seed is a real possiblility.

Here is the remaining schedule:

South Carolina at home- We'll be favored
MSU at home- We should be them silly
LSU away- We should beat them but this one could be a toss up being at their place.
Auburn at home- we'll get revenge in a big way
Florida Away- It may not be pretty
Ole Miss away- this one will determine our fate -Toss up right now.
Georgia at home- We should win this one.

Ole Miss is behind us by a game at 7-4 in the league so they will likely have to beat us and go undefeated against the rest of their schedule to hope to share 2nd place. UK just lost their best player so they are vunerable right now. They also have games against Florida, Tennessee, and Mizzou left so the schedule favors us. I believe we also hold the tie breaker since we beat them earlier in the year.

Again this is contingent on someone knocking Florida off from the other side of the bracket and then us beating whoever beat Florida. Not very likely, but possible.

RTR

Last edited:

lorange

1st Team
Jan 21, 2005

Watch out for Sou. Carolina on Saturday. This has all the makings of another shocker.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I admire your enthusiasm, but it is hard for me to imagine this team winning any kind of championship after seeing some of the games we have played. I think Coach Grant is getting the most out of the team that he can because we lack a post presence and depth and the ability to hit outside shots. Those things don't add up to a lot of consistent play. We may get some wins with our defense, but it is unlikely that we go on a tournament winning streak. However, that is why they play the games. Pollard, Jacobs, and Gueye may suddenly give us an inside scoring and rebounding threat. One or two of our scorers may suddenly become shooters. We may find another body who can eat some minutes to help with depth. It would be fun to watch good Bama basketball deep into March again. It has been a while.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Watch out for Sou. Carolina on Saturday. This has all the makings of another shocker.
Any game we play has all the makings of a shocker lol
If we play our best in each remaining game we could win them all.
Conversely, if we play at less than our best we could lose them all as well.
I've said this before. Forrest Gump's Mama said, "Bama basketball is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"..
It will be interesting to see.
Think about this though. Assume it's before each of the following games...and be honest.
How would you have answered if I asked before the game..
Will Bama beat Kentucky?
Will Bama beat a 2-0(in conference at the time) Mississippi State in Starkville?
Will Bama beat Vandy in Nashville?
Will Bama beat a Georgia team on a five game win streak in Athens?
Will Bama beat an undefeated in conference(at the time) and 12-4 much bigger Texas A@M in Tuscaloosa.

Now....continuing

Will Bama lose to Tennessee?
Will Bama lose to Auburn?

I don't know about you, but at the time and before those games were actually played I would have answered "No" to every single question.

The one thing predictable about this team is their unpredictability. That's what makes them so interesting yet frustrating to watch.

You just never know. But I love their effort regardless.

sip

spacerats

Scout Team
Nov 11, 2006

thats why we need to build momentum b/c confidence will make a few more jumpshots go in. And if we are hitting jumpers watch out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Alabama would be on the fringe of making the NCAA tourney if not for those Tennessee and Auburn second half performances. They have a reasonably exploitable stretch between now and the Florida road game (followed by Ole Miss).

Best case, we finish 13-5 in conference which may be good enough for the double bye. If we get that double bye, we just need some help with Florida, Mizzou, and Ole Miss. I think we may be able to beat Ole Miss but we'll see how they look against us in a few weeks.

We need help because we aren't in the same league as Florida and Mizzou is a bad matchup because of their ability to control the pace the way they want it with their guards. Ole Miss may be beatable. Still, if we win every game we should down the stretch we could be sitting around until the quarterfinals and minimize our number of games. If we don't get the double bye, I don't trust our offense to maintain any decency for a long stretch of games.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

very slim. it doesnt matter the seed when you play as inconsistently as our team does. i just dont see us stringing together 2-3 games like that. so i'll put us at a 10% chance.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Re: Chances of us winning the SEC tournament!

I think that we can win the SEC tournament provided we get the 2nd seed and avoid Florida. A perfect scenario is that we are on the other side of the bracket and Florida loses a game on thier side since they will already have a spot wrapped up in the Big Dance. Their only motivation would getting a higher seed.

Ole Miss seems to be slumping and we have a great chance of getting the 2nd seed. I think the SEC may be a 1 bid league this year and we do not get in unless we win the SEC tournament. I don't see any reason this does not play out as long as we hold up our end.
As bad as we are, we are at least a three bid league. UF is in, barring losing out really. UK will likely get in too, as they should still win most of their remaining games. Plus all of their losses to this point are to teams who are either in, or close to in (we are the worst loss). Missouri has a really good resume, aside form their losses to LSU and aTm, they've only had good losses...plus have a few good wins (VCU, Illinois, Bucknell). They have the toughest road, as they still play UF and UK. So they can either play their way in or out... I think we'll actually be battling against Ole Miss for a fourth (and final) SEC spot. They only have two bad losses (aTm and Indiana St.), but need to stay ahead of us down the stretch as their SOS is over 40 spots behind ours.

RK (RPI)TEAMRPID1 W-LSOSNCRPNCSSCFRPCFSS1-2526-5051-100L12LRPIOFFQDEFQASM
1 (4)Florida.663020-31237611921-24-05-111-1249.914.624.6
2 (35)Missouri.605518-661439052900-22-14-28-41211.53.214.6
3 (43)Kentucky.593017-755778628880-30-24-29-31510.34.915.3
4 (51)Ole Miss.586618-61093526141830-11-34-28-44513.2-0.912.3
5 (62)Alabama.575015-86612463381140-01-35-19-384-3.910.46.5

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

14-3 with Steele
2-5 without Steele

That will play well for us when the look at our team

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

It would be hard to keep a fourth out if they finish in the top 50 in RPI...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

If I were placing money on a team to win the Tournament outside of UF, it's Mizzou. I think they'll get hot down the stretch.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

If I were placing money on a team to win the Tournament outside of UF, it's Mizzou. I think they'll get hot down the stretch.
We need all the conference favorites to win their tournaments. The more cinderella teams that win, the worse our chances become unless we win the SEC tournament.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.