Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...-david-fangupo

I, and almost a million other people, can't stop watching this clip of Fangupo this season at Kealakehe (Kailua-Kona, Hawaii) High School. We're transfixed by a man that big with 4.9 speed, the equivalent of a four-wheel drive vending machine on roller skates.

We're glued to how he churns ahead with four or five tacklers clinging to him, like remora on a whale. We're astonished by his twinkle toes, like watching a hippo dance an arabesque.

It's a giggle, really, to see a man that big running that fast over that many human beings. You watch the video. Fangupo is pulling away from people who could fit in one of his pant legs.

"When I first started, I didn't want to hurt anybody," says Fangupo, who just turned 18 and didn't play at fullback until his senior season. "But then I just decided it was me or them."

Most of the time, it was them.

In a playoff game this season, one poor safety found himself face-to-face with the full Fangupo and wound up flatter than a pupu platter.

"Afterward, he came up to me and said, 'Dude, why you got to make me look bad in front of my family?'" Fangupo remembers. "But I told him, 'You shouldn't feel bad, brah.'"
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

That kid is insane. I've seen his highlights on Youtube, but I forgot how to post videos here. His video is really easy to find though.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I wonder if now other teams will offer.

Does he play high school ball in Hawaii?

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

I am sorry, but I wasn't that impressed. Now if he was moved to Dtackle he might be a talent.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I am sorry, but I wasn't that impressed. Now if he was moved to Dtackle he might be a talent.
    How were you not impressed?! This is a guy that should be playing lineman or something but runs the ball! Lol

BamaNation Hall of Fame gmart74's Avatar
    My Mood
    Innocent on TideFans.com

That is not 4.9 speed.

BamaNation All-American Relayer's Avatar

Based on that video, I'm not that impressed with his RB skills, either. But, if you're hard up for a back, or badly need a huge goal line option at RB, he might be your man.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNinja View Post
    That kid is insane. I've seen his highlights on Youtube, but I forgot how to post videos here. His video is really easy to find though.

Step 1: Go to YouTube page with the video you want to share.
    Step 2: Highlight the web address in your web browser's address bar and copy the address (Right-Click | Copy, Ctrl + C, or Ctrl + Ins).
    Step 3: In your post on the Tidefans.com Message Board, click the "Insert Video" button in the post editor toolbar to bring up the "Insert Video Clip" dialog box and paste the address (Right-Click | Paste, Ctrl + V, or Shift + Ins) into the "Enter your video clip URL below" text box. This will embed the video in the post.
    --- OR ---
    Simply paste the address into the body of your post. This will, at least, create a link in the post that people can click on to visit the video page or, if you're lucky, sometimes it will recognize the link to a video page and embed it for you.

Easy peasy.

I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmart74 View Post
    That is not 4.9 speed.

He's moving a lot faster than he looks. Count how long it takes him to get 30 yards or so downfield on a couple of these runs. He very well may - on a track and/or even grass without pads - be capable of a running 4.9 40-Yard Dash. He'd probably average 5.2 to 5.5 if he had to run 5 of them over a short period of time but he's got some pretty good acceleration and top-end speed for a 350+ pound guy!

EDIT:
    Actually, in all three of those runs, he was over 30 yards past the line of scrimmage in less than 6 seconds from when he took the hand-off 5 yards yards behind the line of scrimmage - even while "dodging" or running over defenders.

He may not look like he's going that fast but he's covering ground in a pretty decent hurry.

And, at 350+ pounds, that's a whole lot of kinetic energy to try and stop. As a fullback that carries the football, he might be just about as automatic a first down as it gets on 3rd or 4th and two yards or less.
    Last edited by uafan4life; February 17th, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I bet you would be impressed if you had to try to tackle him or catch him. That is a huge man moving fast, quick and with power.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Level of competition in Hawaii High School football is not very high, so an athletic big man should be able to do what he wants but they guy won't make it as at RB in college. However at DT or NT he could be a monster.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.