Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 44
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
    Posts
    2,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    He couldn't stop himself until he was well past the end zone; looked like Forrest Gump...just kept on running.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spring Hill, TN
    Posts
    364
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Does Auburn have 3 good RB's? Moo. Post count thread?
    Yeah. Apparently, I screwed the pooch. :-(

  4. #29
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Tider View Post
    Now him we would definitely move to another position.
    Linebacker, of course. Maybe safety, with the appopriate ball skills. Receivers would develop alligator arms quickly when the game had to be stopped so they could pull another receiver out of his belly button.
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  5. #30
    Administrator crimsonaudio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    19,630
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Big kid, but doesn't look anything like a 4.9/40.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

    Lurch Backwater!

  6. #31
    BamaNation First Team rolltide_21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    I was somewhat impressed by this ability, but those opposing defenses were quite pathetic. But as a fellow fat guy, I love that he is playing RB. He living the fat guy dream. Eat what you want and still get to tote the ball and score touchdowns.

    Seriously, he appears to have quick feet and good strength which would make him great for either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. He would also make a good OL too. Pass rushers would have a difficult time with his quickness and strength.

  7. #32
    BamaNation Scout Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBama View Post
    Force equals mass times velocity squared. Better to be fast than big.
    Pretty good analogy! But actually force = mass times acceleration (like the kinetic energy an instant after T.J. or Jalston takes the hand-off.) Momentum = mass times velocity (one of our ball carriers traveling down the field at top speed.) Either way that Somoan is going to be difficult to bring down (best to hit him in the backfield before he gets in forward motion!)

  8. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    8,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    KFC or Bojangles?
    Popeyes!

  9. #34
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Navarre, FL
    Posts
    2,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBama View Post
    Force equals mass times velocity squared. Better to be fast than big.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsusMagnus View Post
    Pretty good analogy! But actually force = mass times acceleration (like the kinetic energy an instant after T.J. or Jalston takes the hand-off.) Momentum = mass times velocity (one of our ball carriers traveling down the field at top speed.) Either way that Somoan is going to be difficult to bring down (best to hit him in the backfield before he gets in forward motion!)
    OK, I'll take the geek-bait.

    As Ursus pointed out, Force = Mass times Acceleration, which is a function of the change in velocity over time - irrelevant in this case. We don't care how Tank's velocity changes over time - we simply care how much kinetic energy he's carrying when we hit him (or when he hits us, as the case may be - an equal amount of kinetic energy would be required to stop him).

    Kinetic energy is defined in terms of Joules and is a function of his mass in kg (known) and his velocity in m/s (speculated). The formula is Ek=1/2mv^2. That is: Kinetic Energy = 1/2 the object's mass times it's velocity squared.

    Did some rough excel calculations, and at 350lbs (158.7572kg) and a claimed 4.9 40 (7.464126 m/s) this guy is carrying 4422.43345 joules of kinetic energy. To put that into perspective, a 220-230lb RB (comparable to MI, TR and EL) would have to run about a 3.9 40 to equal the energy, which as we all know, is faster than anyone has ever run in the history of the human race. Even if our behemoth here is running a much slower 6.0 40, as some have speculated, he's still producing 2949.51742 joules of kinetic energy, equivalent to MI, TR and EL running about a 4.8 40. For what it's worth, they all run a 40 in the 4.45-4.55 range, producing 3300 to 3600 joules of kinetic energy. Truth is, roly poly here is probably running somewhere between the two extremes in the 5.2 - 5.5 range or there abouts and surpassing MI, TR and EL with 3500-3900 joules of kinetic energy. But his slower speed makes him easier for college level athletes to catch even if he is very difficult to stop.

    Great
    short yardage option at fullback. But if he's got good hands and feet, probably still better suited for fulltime DT work unless he's signed by a team that runs an I and features a fulltime fullback. That team, of course, isn't Hawaii.


    Edit: A 260lb linebacker would have to be bringing around 4.6 speed to not get run over. Nico's measurables? 260lbs, 4.62.
    Last edited by PacadermaTideUs; February 18th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

  10. #35
    BamaNation All-American bamaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    next to Boo Radley's house
    Posts
    3,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    OK, I'll take the geek-bait.

    As Ursus pointed out, Force = Mass times Acceleration, which is a function of the change in velocity over time - irrelevant in this case. We don't care how Tank's velocity changes over time - we simply care how much kinetic energy he's carrying when we hit him (or when he hits us, as the case may be - an equal amount of kinetic energy would be required to stop him).

    Kinetic energy is defined in terms of Joules and is a function of his mass in kg (known) and his velocity in m/s (speculated). The formula is Ek=1/2mv^2. That is: Kinetic Energy = 1/2 the object's mass times it's velocity squared.

    Did some rough excel calculations, and at 350lbs (158.7572kg) and a claimed 4.9 40 (7.464126 m/s) this guy is carrying 4422.43345 joules of kinetic energy. To put that into perspective, a 220-230lb RB (comparable to MI, TR and EL) would have to run about a 3.9 40 to equal the energy, which as we all know, is faster than anyone has ever run in the history of the human race. Even if our behemoth here is running a much slower 6.0 40, as some have speculated, he's still producing 2949.51742 joules of kinetic energy, equivalent to MI, TR and EL running about a 4.8 40. For what it's worth, they all run a 40 in the 4.45-4.55 range, producing 3300 to 3600 joules of kinetic energy. Truth is, roly poly here is probably running somewhere between the two extremes in the 5.2 - 5.5 range or there abouts and surpassing MI, TR and EL with 3500-3900 joules of kinetic energy. But his slower speed makes him easier for college level athletes to catch even if he is very difficult to stop.

    Great
    short yardage option at fullback. But if he's got good hands and feet, probably still better suited for fulltime DT work unless he's signed by a team that runs an I and features a fulltime fullback. That team, of course, isn't Hawaii.


    Edit: A 260lb linebacker would have to be bringing around 4.6 speed to not get run over. Nico's measurables? 260lbs, 4.62.
    Disagree with your argument, and all arguments based solely on sceince. You have to take into consideration his ability to stabilize himself once he is hit by an opposing player. Maybe one of Newton's laws would come into play here. Otherwise , Wolfolk or Ngata would be the greatest RB's in history.
    to 16 and beyond........

  11. #36
    BamaNation All-American PacadermaTideUs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Navarre, FL
    Posts
    2,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    Disagree with your argument, and all arguments based solely on sceince. You have to take into consideration his ability to stabilize himself once he is hit by an opposing player. Maybe one of Newton's laws would come into play here. Otherwise , Wolfolk or Ngata would be the greatest RB's in history.
    I'm not sure what arguement you're disagreeing with, since I wasn't making one. I don't disagree with your statement that skills and factors other than size and speed are important to a running back. The discussion however solely pertained to the amount of "force" this kid's size and speed produce. Sorry, but physics is relevant to that discussion.

  12. #37
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    When Dennis Franchione was at Alabama he brought back the junior varsity squad. He had Bart Raulston at RB in game against Georgia Military. Raulston weighed near 400 pounds.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

  13. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    7,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    When Dennis Franchione was at Alabama he brought back the junior varsity squad. He had Bart Raulston at RB in game against Georgia Military. Raulston weighed near 400 pounds.

    Who? Never heard of him
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

  14. #39
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
    Posts
    2,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

    Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    I'm not sure what arguement you're disagreeing with, since I wasn't making one. I don't disagree with your statement that skills and factors other than size and speed are important to a running back. The discussion however solely pertained to the amount of "force" this kid's size and speed produce. Sorry, but physics is relevant to that discussion.
    But the speed you use is an average based on how long it takes the player to cover 40 yards starting with a velocity of zero. It does not take into consideration the top end velocity or the velocity at any given point in which a defensive player may be making contact.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!