Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar

Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop in H'burg this a.m. (along with all the other hipster wannabes ), and in walks Ray Perkins & his Mrs. As one who knew who he was on the 1966 team when I was a kid, and when he played in the NFL, and when he coached the Giants, and--of course--when he succeeded Coach Bryant @ UA--I had to battle my groupie tendencies mightily. Luckily, they left after only a short stay. Thus, I didn't do any embarrassing fawning. My oh-so-tattered mancards are still intact.

Note: he is now HC of a jr. college team nearby.

Further note: anyone else tired of off-season type posts--like, say, this one--already?
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

2. Advertisement

Re: Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

You should have taken his cup home with you

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If you saved his napkin, I can probably find someone to sign it...

“Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation Second Team GCtidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He was part of a sports meet-n-greet at an Ocean Springs bar a few weeks ago. Very nice guy.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

He was partially responsible for building the Giants Superbowl team that Parcels took credit for. He was also a top offensive assistant in the NFL for many years after his time at Alabama. His time at Alabama was strange. He knew how to score points but his defense was never that great, that with some of the best defensive talent ever. (Thomas, Bennett). I seem to remember our secondary always being terrible. He pulled some awesome upsets against Auburn and others but would always drop a game he shouldn't.
    BS 1989

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar

Agreed, Bamaslammer. It seemed to me that he approached the season in Tuscaloosa with a "make the playoffs" mindset. Works in the NFL; not so much in college. But I did love the 4-6 Bama team ending the season by beating a loaded Auburn team.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GCtidefan View Post
    He was part of a sports meet-n-greet at an Ocean Springs bar a few weeks ago. Very nice guy.
    Yep..and that little sports bar, "Kwitzkee's", is about 100 yards from my office downtown. Unfortunately they didn't publicize the event at all and I had no idea..

Ray Guy was also there..Willie Richardson..and a few other notables. Would loved to have stopped by had I known.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

I'm no Perkins apologist but he was probably doomed even if he had been an above average coach simply because of who he followed. Keep in mind that Perkins 1983 team was a near carbon of Bryant's 1982 team. Same record, losses to 2 of the same foes and a robbery at Penn St. In his efforts to carve out an identity he alienated people. Keep in mind also that he was hamstrung by Pat Dye's recruiting tactics, both legal and illegal. The problem with his lone losing season was not the defense but the offense. When Kerry Goode went down after getting nearly 300 all-purpose yards in one half, the die was cast for 1984.

His bigger faux pas was plummeting from a number 2 ranking in late October to a Sun Bowl. Losses to LSU and Auburn in Nov - games in which we greatly outplayed the opposition but failed to finish - sent him packing. Had he won just the SEC in 86 even at 9-2, he'd have been back.

I think Ray was in over his head. And I think to give him credit for starting the Giants rebuilding goes too far. Sure he drafted Lawrence Taylor but who wouldn't have? His lone playoff appearance only happened because the 7-1 Eagles imploded and finished 9-7. Dallas mailed it in the final game and the Giants won to make the playoffs, I believe on a Danelo FG in OT.

The Giants were 3-13 in 1983, so giving Perk credit for something anybody would have done doesn't strike me as wise. Are we going to thank the next bozo who doesn't blow his hand off putting away his handgun?

Thanks Ray, here's your watch, Roll Tide.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

There weren't many people CRP didn't go out of his way to alienate during his time in Tuscaloosa. I met him at a celebrity golf event, got his autograph, had a picture made, he kept my pen. The autograph and pic are long gone... I still miss my pen, it was a nice one.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by edwd58 View Post
    There weren't many people CRP didn't go out of his way to alienate during his time in Tuscaloosa. I met him at a celebrity golf event, got his autograph, had a picture made, he kept my pen. The autograph and pic are long gone... I still miss my pen, it was a nice one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW5Nu...e_gdata_player
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GCtidefan View Post
    You caught him on a rare good day.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

I was young at the time but all I've seen is that Perkins was sort of a Jackie Sherrill without the probation - insanely arrogant and closed-minded.
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation First Team

Selma, I don't think he was in over his head. He was doing some good things at Alabama, and in my opinion was poised to do some great things. I think he would have been highly successful. He was a great recruiter, and in 1986 when he left, we were about to have a top 5 recruiting class. He was a good coach and we played good hardnosed football which is what we all love. His house had just been paid off as a gift to him. His problem is that he ran away and left our University at possibly the worst time because of what Dye and aub were doing. Talk about a career decision. I'd say that was one of the worst ever made.