Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

Loved him as a player. As a coach, not so much.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Alabama22's Avatar

Re: Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

I met CRP just before the 1983 season began when he spoke at a Touchdown Club meeting in Macon, Georgia. He was not very friendly and extremely arrogant toward me and several other individuals. Not sure why the attitude, but it was certainly very different than CPB, who I met while in school at Alabama. Huge difference! Plus, I wasn't too crazy about his skills as a head coach. But we will never really know how good he could have been since he didn't stick around. However, he was there long enough for me. The boneheaded move to hire Curry as his successor was what I never really understood. BTW, I also loved him as a player.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama22 View Post
    I met CRP just before the 1983 season began when he spoke at a Touchdown Club meeting in Macon, Georgia. He was not very friendly and extremely arrogant toward me and several other individuals. Not sure why the attitude, but it was certainly very different than CPB, who I met while in school at Alabama. Huge difference! Plus, I wasn't too crazy about his skills as a head coach. But we will never really know how good he could have been since he didn't stick around. However, he was there long enough for me. The boneheaded move to hire Curry as his successor was what I never really understood. BTW, I also loved him as a player.
    It Don't Cost Nothin' To Be Nice
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

[QUOTE
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; February 18th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

BamaNation All-SEC p'colabamaman's Avatar

I believe he alienated everybody right off the bat when he had Bear's tower dismantled. They should have left the tower intact in remembrance, if for no other reason.
    Let those who don't want none have memories of not getting any. Let that not be their punishment, but their reward. Brother Dave Gardner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Mamacalled's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by p'colabamaman View Post
    I believe he alienated everybody right off the bat when he had Bear's tower dismantled. They should have left the tower intact in remembrance, if for no other reason.
    This is why most did not like him. My girlfriend is best friends with Lisa, his wife and my encounter has been pleasant with him. Of course, due to the relationship between his wife and my girlfriend could be why my experience was a positive one.

He was a great receiver for us and the Colts. He was my choice to succeed Bear (confession: I also thought Fran was the right choice - oh well...). I thought he was a good coach with the Giants and TOUGH enough to succeed Bear. Yeah tough all right. He makes CNS seem like Dale Carnegie. If he was a good coach at the college level I guess I'll never know. I view him now as a jerk and a mercenary for the way he took the money and left us. When I read something about his opinions about us, the program, coaches, etc., it falls on my deaf ears. I'll always remember him fondly as a player; as someone who put Bama first, not so much. Jackie Sherrill without the probation? Jackie would've crawled to T-town on his hands and knees. Yeah, he would've probably gotten us on probation, but he would've been more loyal to Bama and Bear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Only knew him when he played for Alabama. I will just say he was not real approachable or humble.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Wink Re: Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by exiledNms View Post
    So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop in H'burg this a.m. (along with all the other hipster wannabes ), and in walks Ray Perkins & his Mrs. As one who knew who he was on the 1966 team when I was a kid, and when he played in the NFL, and when he coached the Giants, and--of course--when he succeeded Coach Bryant @ UA--I had to battle my groupie tendencies mightily. Luckily, they left after only a short stay. Thus, I didn't do any embarrassing fawning. My oh-so-tattered mancards are still intact.

Note: he is now HC of a jr. college team nearby.

Further note: anyone else tired of off-season type posts--like, say, this one--already?
    exiledNms, how can someone living in Hattiesburg, capital of the Hospitality State, flunk Hospitality 101? Just do as the hired help does at Waffle House or as the did regulars in the old sitcom Cheers, i.e., say, "Hello Coach. Roll Bobcats!

One can do something similar anytime a celebrity walks in the door, or as you head to rest room, or as you leave. Coach Perkins was at a public place, in the area he grew up. It ain't like you'd be interrupting foreplay. Bet he'd just smile. If he want to talk further, he'll let you know. Lots of folks know who he is in that neck of the Pinebelt woods. Ain't nothing groupie 'bout that, is it? Next time, we expect a better report.

BTW, one of my sons is a Jones grad, as is a step-daughter. I highly recommend JCJC for academics and total experience at a bargain deal. My son got an academic full ride. He was impressed. Link to JCJC football: http://www.jcjcathletics.com/football/coach.php

Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

I recently read Keith Dunnavant's book about the 1966 team and gained a new perspective on him. He almost died from injuries he suffered at practice but was able to make it back. He was also a bit older (I think) than the other players and that made him a bit of a loner and could explain his personalty issues.

I am too young to remember his playing days, not a fan of his when he coached here. He won, but I agree he was a jerk to take the money and run.

On the plus side, he did not get us on probation, did not pass out drunk in a strip club and did not date his secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I recently read Keith Dunnavant's book about the 1966 team and gained a new perspective on him. He almost died from injuries he suffered at practice but was able to make it back. He was also a bit older (I think) than the other players and that made him a bit of a loner and could explain his personalty issues.

I am too young to remember his playing days, not a fan of his when he coached here. He won, but I agree he was a jerk to take the money and run.

On the plus side, he did not get us on probation, did not pass out drunk in a strip club and did not date his secretary.
    Whenever someone mentions Perkins I always think of his awkwardness on his weekly radio show while at Alabama.
    As an example, a caller would ask Perkins why Alabama ran a certain play or some other fairly tame question and Perkins would answer "Are you a coach?" Dead air for a second or two and then a meek "no." Point being that it seemed Perkins took every question about his decisions as a direct challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958againbear View Post
    He was a great receiver for us and the Colts. He was my choice to succeed Bear (confession: I also thought Fran was the right choice - oh well...). I thought he was a good coach with the Giants and TOUGH enough to succeed Bear. Yeah tough all right. He makes CNS seem like Dale Carnegie. If he was a good coach at the college level I guess I'll never know. I view him now as a jerk and a mercenary for the way he took the money and left us. When I read something about his opinions about us, the program, coaches, etc., it falls on my deaf ears. I'll always remember him fondly as a player; as someone who put Bama first, not so much. Jackie Sherrill without the probation? Jackie would've crawled to T-town on his hands and knees. Yeah, he would've probably gotten us on probation, but he would've been more loyal to Bama and Bear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Didn't he have platinum placed in his skull after an injury? Seems like I recall a newspaper article by Benny Marshall or someone in the 1960's regarding that.

He probably had to make sure he did not play golf while lightning was near by.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Didn't he have platinum placed in his skull after an injury? Seems like I recall a newspaper article by Benny Marshall or someone in the 1960's regarding that.
    He probably had to make sure he did not play golf while lightning was near by.
    I don't know any details about his injury but I remember it being brought up during his playing days that he had a metal plate in his head.