Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

Re: Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by exiledNms View Post
    So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop in H'burg this a.m. (along with all the other hipster wannabes ), and in walks Ray Perkins & his Mrs. As one who knew who he was on the 1966 team when I was a kid, and when he played in the NFL, and when he coached the Giants, and--of course--when he succeeded Coach Bryant @ UA--I had to battle my groupie tendencies mightily. Luckily, they left after only a short stay. Thus, I didn't do any embarrassing fawning. My oh-so-tattered mancards are still intact.

Note: he is now HC of a jr. college team nearby.

Further note: anyone else tired of off-season type posts--like, say, this one--already?

Blew it dude.

You should have spoken and scored the autograph. He is a living link to the greatest college football coach in history. It would not have been groupie like at all. IMO

I have many regrets of not getting some cool autographs when I had the chance. Oh well..
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I met Coach Perkins several times. I really like him. He had the misfortune of following Coach Bryant, and was scorned for removing the tower. Coach Perkins was tagged as 'Perk the Jerk'
    by the press. Imagine having a coach at odds with the press.
    Ray was ahead of his time. He wanted to develop an Alabama team that played
    Pro type ball. Sound familiar?
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; February 18th, 2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: format

Big A Re: Random Encounter w/ Coach Perkins

... exiled, i have to say that my chance encounter with him was a very positive experience, unlike some of the other posts above

... back in the early 80's, i was part of the entertainment one evening for a company function, seems like it was coca-cola bottling, on the coast of alabama - point clear, maybe

... anyway, as i came off stage, someone came up to me and told me someone wanted to meet me - i was then introduced to ray perkins, who i had no idea was even there

... he was very cordial to and complimentary of me, but what impressed me most was that he made the effort to seek me out - and i am definitely not someone that he would have known or should have known

... and being the BAMA goober that i am, i told him that i remembered him most from the mid 60's when he and dennis homan were catching everything thrown their way

... it was just a nice couple of minutes that made a lasting impression on me

.. and exile, btw, i was living in hattiesburg at the time

... just my two
    Bama's Back

BamaNation All-American Crimson Speed's Avatar

Yes, Ray and Dennis Holman were amazing to watch on the mid sixties Bama teams. I do recall that Ray had a metal plate in his head from an injury; could be the answer for his rather strange personality. He did a decent job as head coach at Alabama, but everybody I knew at the time thought he was doomed because he had the task of following the great one.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

A story my in-laws told me some years back. When he was a student, Perkins was a member of my father-in-law's National Guard unit in Northport. One day in the 80's, my mother-in-law was at The Landing in Tuscaloosa (long gone, I think) and as she was coming out, Coach Perkins was coming in. He stopped and remembered her from the '60s and asked about my father-in-law and was very pleasant.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

From a 1983 SI

Ray Perkins is busy clearing up some misconceptions. For one, there's no metal plate in his head. The three holes are there all right, but no metal plate. And none of the holes in his head is the one he presumably had to have to take the job at Alabama as Bear Bryant's successor. Perkins thinks it's funny you should remember. The holes don't even show.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Back in the eighties, I had the chance to go to the Capstone when he was coach and interview him about Coach Bryant. I was a student at Samford University taking a speech class. Well naturally as a Bama fan I did the speech on coach Bryant. I called his office to set up an appointment to come and interview him. He called me back and we set up a time for me to come. The day came and I drove from Birmingham to the University. His office was in Coleman at that time. You got to understand, I was an ol' country boy from Toney, Alabama sitting in the Head coaches office Of the University Of Alabama fixing to interview the head coach which was Coach Perkins ! This was a high light of my life that I'll always treasure. He was busy, but he took time out of his schedule to let me talk to him and ask him questions of Coach Bryant for my speech I would prepare for. He gave me a coaches shirt, autographed pictures, and invited me to come to the practices. I did that maybe once or so. I was able to stand next to a giant one day. The name of the player slips my mind, but he was huge, tall and played on defence. Maybe some of you can help me remember who he was. If I could hear his name I know I would recall it. Coach Perkins may not have been the best coach we ever had, but I will always be thankful for the opportunity I had to sit in a major college football coaches office at the Greatest University ever; The University Of Alabama! ROll TIDE !!
    Last edited by BamaRevT; February 19th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
    Alabama Quotes: "Momma called. And when Momma calls, you just have to come runnin'." -- Bear Bryant

My Mood

I recall the players name. It was BIG John Hand
    Alabama Quotes: "Momma called. And when Momma calls, you just have to come runnin'." -- Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRevT View Post
    I recall the players name. It was BIG John Hand
    he was a biggun alright.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm not one to bash former coaches all I will say is for Ray Perkins to be a Nice Guy, it was an amazing transformation. I guess people can change but this would be a biggie.

I got to know him very well in Tampa & to be associated with him was an embarrassment many times.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Ray made my day when he went to Tampa Bay.
    RIP Hub

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    ...he had a metal plate in his head.

...are you talking about Ray Perkins or Eddie, Clark Griswold's cousin?

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood

I've never met him, but from what I've seen of recent interviews and on TV, Ray seems to have mellowed out quite a bit with age. Didn't he divorce and then remarry a much younger woman and even have another child by her? If so, that might explain a lot of it.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings