Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

Re: Manziel Taking All On-Line Classes-Fishy?

Just to throw out a little about online classes. There are many schools with a very large online class taking population. It brings in lots of money to the school and the schools don't have to build the physical infrastructure to house the students courses. There are many schools that use software for the online tests that require the student to have a webcam that they will have activated when the test is being taken. The test is administered through a web browser that will not let there be any other apps running at the time. The student is recorded as they take the test. At the host site, where the video files are dumped, a flag is placed on the video if there is any excessive movement, i.e. a door opening, student turning around, moving to open a book, etc. The instructor then can go to the video file and see what the excessive movement is. The idea is there to try and prevent cheating. I know that every time a better mousetrap is made, the mice get bigger and smarter. I would question a student being able to take ALL of their courses online though. It would seem a bit over the top for a student to be able to take an entire courseload online. There's too much that goes into setting up a course to be taught online.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    Just to throw out a little about online classes. There are many schools with a very large online class taking population. It brings in lots of money to the school and the schools don't have to build the physical infrastructure to house the students courses. There are many schools that use software for the online tests that require the student to have a webcam that they will have activated when the test is being taken. The test is administered through a web browser that will not let there be any other apps running at the time. The student is recorded as they take the test. At the host site, where the video files are dumped, a flag is placed on the video if there is any excessive movement, i.e. a door opening, student turning around, moving to open a book, etc. The instructor then can go to the video file and see what the excessive movement is. The idea is there to try and prevent cheating. I know that every time a better mousetrap is made, the mice get bigger and smarter. I would question a student being able to take ALL of their courses online though. It would seem a bit over the top for a student to be able to take an entire courseload online. There's too much that goes into setting up a course to be taught online.

I guess with this, you could still have a Cheat Sheet.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Second Team UnNFormedFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

All this "celebrity" talk that has him taking these online courses, I say let him keep listening to it. Let him continue thinking he is the best thing since sliced bread. Pump him up, lets see how he handles himself. Fame DOES change people and this will actually show just how mature he is. He will find out that he caught us beat up and let down after a come back victory at LSWho. Things will be much different this year.
    Non-poster

BamaNation First Team MightyWingman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTideFan View Post
    Probably exact opposite I bet. He will probably camp out at the football complex if he doesn't have class and watch film/work out. I thought he was pretty close to wrapping up his degree anyway.
    He's set to graduate in May of 2014.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

So should I assume McCarron and Ingram have never gone to class?
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

If I could have taken all my classes online I would have. I don't see a problem with it unless the classes aren't available to everyone.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I shouldn't be surprised by some of the ridiculous posts in this thread, but I still am. Some of you never cease to amaze me.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I was reading where Johnny Football is taking all on-line classes and will only be on campus one time a month.
    Seems to me like the NCAA shouldn't allow something like this.
    I'm not saying it will happen but wouldn't that make it mighty easy for someone to take your classes for you?
    sip

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...02--ncaaf.html
    Not sure that would happen but I sure do not like it or think it is right.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefan23 View Post
    Is that so? I found out a particular player was in one of my management classes back in '93 or '94 the day of the final.
    If I'm not mistaken Coach Saban has a very strict policy about class attendance, and I mean players walking their butts into a class room and sitting down at a desk beside other students. lol.. If they don't choose to do so he'll suspend them in a heartbeat. I like this approach.
    There may not be anything actually "wrong" with what Manziel is doing. My son is getting his masters on-line and it's very convenient for him as a newlywed.
    So I know I'm using a double standard here but I just think football players should go to class. Furthermore, if one can take on-line classes then I think they all should be able to.
    I know. I'm sounding like my grand father lol
    sip

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I have no problem with the online classes. I think it's going to become a trend especially for athletes because work can get done on their schedule (e.g. If I'm CNS and I know I have kids having issues going to class, they're doing online classes during their study hall session with someone looking over their shoulder with a pitcher of cold water ready to go). As long as the classes aren't a sham, then I have no problem with JM doing it.

Suspended

Count me as one who thinks online coursing should be limited, and for special needs.

Part of the college experience is having the discipline to get up and GO to a class, and the interaction with others and teachers in that setting. You learn social skills for the real world - kids nowadays need more of that, and less internet "Social Media" imo.

Suspended

University of Phoenix and its academic reputation has been a great addition to the SEC.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    University of Phoenix and its academic reputation has been a great addition to the SEC.
    They have an NFL-quality football stadium