Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Re: Manziel Taking All On-Line Classes-Fishy?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRourke View Post
    It takes more discipline to get up, out and make a class, than to get up 2 minutes before and stroll to a computer.

As for the second part - No. I am not coming here for educational purposes, or to learn life skills. People used to interact with each other, now it is through devises, and I think that is rather horrible.
    What makes you think anyone using social media is doing it for educational purposes to start? You don't see the irony in you complaining about people communicating through devices by using a device to communicate?
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I personally don't think online classes should be an option for any full time students. A university is supposed to put their stamp on a graduate as someone who is at least competent and well rounded as well as trainable. You can't do that via an online class. IT's well documented that Cam Newton, The barn's greatest player of all time never set foot in a classroom in his one year in Auburn. He was basically working as a pro football player for hire for one season. Online classes make football corruption that much easier to pull off.

In my opinion the NCAA should not allow them as unrepeatable.
    BS 1989

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    I personally don't think online classes should be an option for any full time students. A university is supposed to put their stamp on a graduate as someone who is at least competent and well rounded as well as trainable. You can't do that via an online class.
    Have you even taken an online class? One of my online classes was more difficult than all but about 3 of my classroom classes.
    I
    T's well documented that Cam Newton, The barn's greatest player of all time never set foot in a classroom in his one year in Auburn. He was basically working as a pro football player for hire for one season. Online classes make football corruption that much easier to pull off.
    Mind sharing a few articles that show he never set foot in a classroom? Or do you just want to go by what many fans said was fact?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

There are pros and cons to each approach, but it is pretty clear that a student can get just as much from an on-line education as he/she can from a brick/mortar education. These are instructor led classes, not pre-recorded sessions. In the end, you get out what you put in. Those who want to learn will learn - those who are just looking for something else. Well...

IMO, the biggest risk that a school faces with something like this for athletes is that it is easier to "cheat" when all tests and papers are delivered/submitted electronically. But that can easily be overcome by requiring the students to take these classes from a controlled environment - say, within the athletic facility, monitored by someone within the athletic program. That might produce an optimal environment for learning for some of these kids.

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    I think at this point it was best for him, and the other students. If he is as big of a distraction as has been said, then no one is getting an education with him IN class. So, let him take online courses...
    I agree, it's probably best for him to go on-line to do whatever course work he has because he would be a complete distraction to any classroom he steps foot in. In fact, I wonder what his major even is or if he even cares. I bet school is not anywhere close to his top priority right now. It's football and probably as many females as he can hook up with before he leaves TAMU.

The kid is going to do Summer School so he can workout with the team this Summer and probably do just enough to stay on the team this Fall until he drops out of school after the season to get ready for the NFL draft next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTideFan View Post
    I agree, it's probably best for him to go on-line to do whatever course work he has because he would be a complete distraction to any classroom he steps foot in. In fact, I wonder what his major even is or if he even cares. I bet school is not anywhere close to his top priority right now. It's football and probably as many females as he can hook up with before he leaves TAMU.

The kid is going to do Summer School so he can workout with the team this Summer and probably do just enough to stay on the team this Fall until he drops out of school after the season to get ready for the NFL draft next year.
    He's a Sports Management major, which is what the four online classes are for.

As for the other priorities you mentioned, football and women, well, I imagine he shares that with quite a few people on his team and teams throughout the country.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    He's a Sports Management major, which is what the four online classes are for.

As for the other priorities you mentioned, football and women, well, I imagine he shares that with quite a few people on his team and teams throughout the country.
    Perfect degree to wrap up with one final semester after his NFL career is over.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    But not at UA. Our players focus solely on schoolwork and not the ladies.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

(In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I hear you guys, online classes don't always = easy. I get that. I came from a time before the internet or personal computers. So you might call me a little old school, but some old school ways are still better than the modern alternative today. For instance when I was young we ate fried food and we ate all we wanted, yet there were VERY few fat people and we rarely ever got sick. how is that? ever wonder?

Success in life isn't about the book learning, it's about your ability to handle stress, think on your feet, innovate, manage time and more than anything else DEAL WITH PEOPLE. You can't learn that from a computer, computers are just tools, they replaced the telephone of my day.
    BS 1989

Quote Originally Posted by MrRourke View Post
    Count me as one who thinks online coursing should be limited, and for special needs.

Part of the college experience is having the discipline to get up and GO to a class, and the interaction with others and teachers in that setting. You learn social skills for the real world - kids nowadays need more of that, and less internet "Social Media" imo.
    Maybe Senior status and some Grad work or maybe for someone who has a "Script A" average or at least a "B" average. This way you've earned your stripes and maybe deserve some privileges.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Maybe Senior status and some Grad work or maybe for someone who has a "Script A" average or at least a "B" average. This way you've earned your stripes and maybe deserve some privileges.
    It's hilarious to consider online classes a "privilege".

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Oh dear God
    Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I would have if I could have...
    They just didn't have a 'Laptop' version of UNIVAC.