Manziel Taking All On-Line Classes-Fishy?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I hear you guys, online classes don't always = easy. I get that. I came from a time before the internet or personal computers. So you might call me a little old school, but some old school ways are still better than the modern alternative today. For instance when I was young we ate fried food and we ate all we wanted, yet there were VERY few fat people and we rarely ever got sick. how is that? ever wonder?

Success in life isn't about the book learning, it's about your ability to handle stress, think on your feet, innovate, manage time and more than anything else DEAL WITH PEOPLE. You can't learn that from a computer, computers are just tools, they replaced the telephone of my day.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Count me as one who thinks online coursing should be limited, and for special needs.

Part of the college experience is having the discipline to get up and GO to a class, and the interaction with others and teachers in that setting. You learn social skills for the real world - kids nowadays need more of that, and less internet "Social Media" imo.
Maybe Senior status and some Grad work or maybe for someone who has a "Script A" average or at least a "B" average. This way you've earned your stripes and maybe deserve some privileges.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I hear you guys, online classes don't always = easy. I get that. I came from a time before the internet or personal computers. So you might call me a little old school, but some old school ways are still better than the modern alternative today. For instance when I was young we ate fried food and we ate all we wanted, yet there were VERY few fat people and we rarely ever got sick. how is that? ever wonder?

Success in life isn't about the book learning, it's about your ability to handle stress, think on your feet, innovate, manage time and more than anything else DEAL WITH PEOPLE. You can't learn that from a computer, computers are just tools, they replaced the telephone of my day.
Dealing with people on computers is just as important, and arguably will be more important in the next 40 years...

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
So I guess the naysayers missed the part about him taking an English class and it being a huge problem. Kids asking for pictures and autographs in the middle of class. I took some online classes while at Bama. Worst decision I ever made.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Call me crazy, but I don't trust one bit that he is having to put forth much effort as a Heisman winner in 4 online Sports Management courses. There is no easier way to arrange for cheating than having classes exclusively online. Not that moving kids into the classroom will guarantee effort is made for the grades achieved *see UT*, but at least they have a responsibility to show up in a set location every day. Seems like if you're being called a student-athlete, you should have to put something in. And I'm not saying all online classes are a breeze, but I'd be very surprised if these 4 classes require much good-faith effort.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Call me crazy, but I don't trust one bit that he is having to put forth much effort as a Heisman winner in 4 online Sports Management courses. There is no easier way to arrange for cheating than having classes exclusively online. Not that moving kids into the classroom will guarantee effort is made for the grades achieved *see UT*, but at least they have a responsibility to show up in a set location every day. Seems like if you're being called a student-athlete, you should have to put something in. And I'm not saying all online classes are a breeze, but I'd be very surprised if these 4 classes require much good-faith effort.
You said to a degree what I've been trying to say only you said it much better. It's almost like an attitude of "I'll be your Heisman winner and I'll come to practice but as far as a student I'm just too important to be on campus more than once a month"...

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
It's almost like an attitude of "I'll be your Heisman winner and I'll come to practice but as far as a student I'm just too important to be on campus more than once a month"...
He probably only shows up for classwork once a month but I imagine he is "on campus" quite a bit more. I know he has been Mr. Johnny Public Appearance lately but I bet he is working out at the football complex alot when he isn't at Mardi Gras or at the NBA All-Star game. As far as him being a regular student, that will never happen now. He is a phenom Heisman trophy winner as a Freshman who by some figures brought in over $30M to the school by winning that trophy. I am sure he would cause a riot if he walked through campus so the school is probably giving him alot of freedom.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
It's hilarious to consider online classes a "privilege".
Well, you could sit in your dorm room/apartment/home in your under garments while eating a pizza, an apple, etc. or having a drink and being relaxed while
online.

Underclassmen/women who are not making the grade don't deserve the "privilege". It could be that they are still too immature and
unorganized to perform/excel online.

Oh well, it could be better than going to class and being brainwashed by some Prof.

Have you found the courses tougher that actually attending class?

Well, you could sit in your dorm room/apartment/home in your under garments while eating a pizza, an apple, etc. or having a drink and being relaxed while
online.

Underclassmen/women who are not making the grade don't deserve the "privilege". It could be that they are still too immature and
unorganized to perform/excel online.

Oh well, it could be better than going to class and being brainwashed by some Prof.

Have you found the courses tougher that actually attending class?
Again, online courses are not and never will be "privileges" no matter how you try to spin it. No university will ever adopt that mentality.

To answer your other question: I took a Microsoft Excel class where we had to do all the work at home and only come to class for the tests. A couple of the advanced concepts in the program would have been easier to handle with input by the professor/instructor.

Granted, I don't mind in retrospect. The instructor clearly did not want to be teaching the course as it was during the summer.

I also wish I would have been able to take my Roman History course online and avoid the horrible professor Alabama employs to teach that course.

Last edited:

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013

Well said - you do not get the experience of coming to class and being forced to respond to a difficult question in front of your peers "online". In fact, I think an online degree cheats the student out of many of the greatest things about the college experience.

I do think there is much more opportunity for fraud as well - does anyone think Ferris Bueller would actually have been sitting in front of his computer on a lovely Spring day, or would he have programmed a holographic image to stand-in for him?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Purely On-line classes were the hardest classes I've ever taken. Of course, almost all classes have an on-line element these days. The all-on-line classes were much more work than "regular" classes. Usually not just "busy work" as someone said, but also more written "papers" to show that you actually have a good grasp on the subject matter.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
How can him being in a class be a huge distraction? I can see the first day there might be a wow factor, but when you see him three days a week for a whole semester, you should grow up and get used to a Heisman winner sitting next to you.

If I'm a professor and people are taking pictures or asking for autographs while I'm trying to lecture, I ask the offenders to leave.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
As for being able to cheat on an online test, has anyone ever taken a class with a hundred or more students in it? You don't think someone has ever had someone else take the test for them and the professor is none the wiser?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I would like to see more classes on line but the question is about Deliverence Boy.

I think sometime between now & by the time we play them something will happen. I think he is a punk. I just got a feeling the school is not going to be able to hide everything.

All I know is I hope we do get another shot at him because Honey Badger & Deliverence Boy are about the same to me.

You know how that turned out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.