RB depth next season

Bama Prof

Jul 18, 2012
Can anyone give me and the board a rundown of RB depth going into next season. Yeldon obviously comes in at number one, but who will get significant carries after that? Is Dee Hart's rehab on schedule? I assume Calloway is gone. So who is number two and three at this point?

Thanks for any information.

Neos

Suspended
Nov 14, 2011
I'm guessing it's Yeldon, Drake, Fowler/Henry. Fowler might be two if he heals well, but he was situational to begin with. After the first 3/4 spots I have no idea.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeldon is the obvious #1. Drake would appear to be the #2, but there's no telling. Spring practice will tell more about Drake and Henry's standing in the pecking order. Fowler and Hart depend on their rehab. Fowler's rehab appeared to be going well in December, which bodes well for his recovery. The timing of his injury helps, too. If a player is going to have a season-ending injury, better for it to be in September rather than November.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Seems like every year at the A-Day Game, we have a new guy separate himself from the pack.
This year will likely be the same. My guess is Yeldon, Fowler, Drake, Henry. Drake or Henry just might
have something to say about the pecking order. We have already seen flashes of greatness from Drake,
and everyone sez that Henry is another big strong Stud Horse Running Back. It's gonna be fun to watch.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
A year in the strength and conditioning program will really help Drake. He played well at times last year as a true freshman but he needed more bulk to take the pounding of SEC defenses every week. He could surprise people this year. Henry will play early IMO. He's physically advanced and going through spring practice/fourth quarter program will really help him. Yeldon is the obvious #1 back.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Don't know about the rest of you guys, but if I were Coach Nuss, I'd be thinking about the formation shifts I could manage with both Fowler and Howard on the field, and I'd go to sleep dreaming about doing bad things to defenses. BAD things, man.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
here is my take

1 - TJ Yeldon: Has freakish burst, second level speed. is true breakaway runner with size which is rare. Needs: Needs to get stronger physically, mainly to endure the increased work load. As he number one he will face fresher defenders. Staff needs to avoid over working him early in the season.

2 - K. Drake: Is electric with the ball in his hands. Very elusive and has some speed. Needs: needs to get bigger and stronger, fumbled more than once, needs to improve pass blocking. He gets the nod for the #2 spot by default since nobody else has carried the ball in college who isn't recovering from a blown knee.

3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Candidates

true freshman Derrick Henry, a jumbo athlete who broke the national all time yardage record for a running back. He will begin at running back. At 6' 3" 243 pounds with true top level speed he is a bit of an oddity. He looks a bit like cam Newton with the ball in his hands and did run the wildcat for his high school a good bit. Questions remain how he will translate to the college game

Jalston Fowler: technically an H-Back Fowler blew a knee last year and will attempt a comeback. Were it not for the injury he would likely be the #2 back.

Demetrius Hart: Unfortunately two blown knees makes his future a real question. He was actually taking caries away from Yeldon when he went down. Real shame.

Those guys will all be there this spring then this fall three more hopefuls join the fray.

Altee Tenpenny: 5' 11" 200 lbs. Very strong, very elusive. He reminds me of Mark Ingram. The best classic power back in this class. With or without Henry Tenpenny will most likely be a star running back at Alabama.

Alvin Kamara: 5' 10" 192. More of a third down utility back. Could play slot receiver as well. I really think we will see him return the Roy Upchurch sort of thing to our offense.

Tyren Jones: Smaller scat back with good power for his size. He will likely replace Hart's roll in the offense, either now or later depending on Harts ability to return.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good summary bamaslammer.

I'm supper excited about Henry, but I wouldn't sleep on Tenpenny or Tyren Jones. Both are similar in size to guys like Ingram and Richardson coming out of H.S. IIRC. CNS seems to have an eye for guys that fit this mold.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
After Yeldon, there are really a lot of ? Drake would seem likely; his big issue was fumbles in practice apparently (not sure on his pass blocking). If healthy, Fowler plays a good bit as #2 or as a FB/HB. After Drake and Fowler, it's an even bigger series of questions; is Dee going to be back; is he healthy? I think at most 2 of the true freshmen play (barring injury). I think Henry has the obvious advantage of being on campus early.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
How bout Fowler returning to the three-slot while using H/specialty packages for additional PT? That woud allow developement of a back-up with little pressure on time frame. Too many options here to even speculate until September on a true #two.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Nudie has a lot he has been dealing with, rehab has been tough & he is about to have another child. I remain hopeful, I can tell you he knows what's at stake for his career.

Don't forget Henry did not play the hat game & got in early he MAY just be the same kind of surprise we got with TJ last year, you knew he was good but Wow not that good.

Drake has all the skills but something else is going on (clutter) if that has been corrected then he could really step up.

I really, really like Hart especially for kick off & punt returns but his injuries remind me of Cadillac Williams he has the Heart but the knee just won't get there. I hope I'm wrong.

Burton Burns will have the very Best playing whoever it is, so I feel good.

It may sound silly to say about an Alabama team but our receivers are going to take a lot of pressure off the run game, and AJ is going to have a Great year.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
here is my take

1 - TJ Yeldon: Has freakish burst, second level speed. is true breakaway runner with size which is rare. Needs: Needs to get stronger physically, mainly to endure the increased work load. As he number one he will face fresher defenders. Staff needs to avoid over working him early in the season.

2 - K. Drake: Is electric with the ball in his hands. Very elusive and has some speed. Needs: needs to get bigger and stronger, fumbled more than once, needs to improve pass blocking. He gets the nod for the #2 spot by default since nobody else has carried the ball in college who isn't recovering from a blown knee.

3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Candidates

true freshman Derrick Henry, a jumbo athlete who broke the national all time yardage record for a running back. He will begin at running back. At 6' 3" 243 pounds with true top level speed he is a bit of an oddity. He looks a bit like cam Newton with the ball in his hands and did run the wildcat for his high school a good bit. Questions remain how he will translate to the college game

Jalston Fowler: technically an H-Back Fowler blew a knee last year and will attempt a comeback. Were it not for the injury he would likely be the #2 back.

Demetrius Hart: Unfortunately two blown knees makes his future a real question. He was actually taking caries away from Yeldon when he went down. Real shame.

Those guys will all be there this spring then this fall three more hopefuls join the fray.

Altee Tenpenny: 5' 11" 200 lbs. Very strong, very elusive. He reminds me of Mark Ingram. The best classic power back in this class. With or without Henry Tenpenny will most likely be a star running back at Alabama.

Alvin Kamara: 5' 10" 192. More of a third down utility back. Could play slot receiver as well. I really think we will see him return the Roy Upchurch sort of thing to our offense.

Tyren Jones: Smaller scat back with good power for his size. He will likely replace Hart's roll in the offense, either now or later depending on Harts ability to return.
pecking order on that bunch?!? What a very pleasant problem to have!! :cool:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.