Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

Full article

UNC apparently has an offer to join the Big Ten and Virginia may receive an offer contingent on UNC's approval.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

I can certainly see this as a very real possibility. With Rutgers and Maryland the BIG is at 14 and IMO, getting UNC and UVA would give the BIG the top two athletic and academic programs in the ACC, excluding Duke since its football program sucks. By going to 16 teams does that put pressure on the SEC to invade the ACC and if so which programs? Expansion is about to raise its ugly head again.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

So who do we go for without violating the "gentleman's agreement" against in state rivals (Tech, FSU, Clemson, etc.)? I'm guessing NC State and Virginia Tech would be the most likely targets if we are going at the ACC.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

If the SEC doesn't offer NC as well, they're incredibly stupid. Also, there's no incentive to going into a state the SEC is already in, this is about expanding the SEC footprint. NC is worth more than NC State and VT put together...
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Tell them all we have no more life jackets and you're on your own.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

SEC could counter with offers to Nort Carolina, Duke, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
    Bama 874-315-44 72.6% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Quote Originally Posted by GP for Bama View Post
    SEC could counter with offers to Nort Carolina, Duke, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
    Might as well. Then move Missouri and Vandy to the West.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I maybe wrong, and it would not be the first time, but I cannot see either UNC or UVA aligning with the SEC. I do however agree with Krazy, there is no reason not to make a run at both of them. I really, really, really hate expansion.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

On the bright side, if the SEC can't get North Carolina, there is simply no reason for them to expand at all anytime soon. Where would NC State and VT go? So, the SEC would be in no rush and could consider all options.

Let's be clear here though, if the SEC added NC State and VT after the Big 10 added NC and Virginia (which is worth less to the Big 10 than it would be to the SEC), it would be like responding to a conference adding Alabama and Florida by adding Auburn and Miami. Not the worst possible move, but obviously you don't want second pick.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Whatever happens, I think UNC/Duke are a package deal.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GP for Bama View Post
    How would that work with 18 teams? Just play the 8 in your division + 1 from east? Some teams would never play each other again (because the lower teams will never make it to the SECCG.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I assume this "torturus interference"(spelling?) stuff wasn't just a Baylor/Big 12/Ken Starr thing. Surely it's in play for the ACC... (??) If so, my understanding of it is the college must initiate contact with the conference, or else the conference may have some legal liability. And maybe UNC did indeed contact the Big Ten. Hopefully UNC also contacted the SEC... But if UNC goes to the Big Ten, I'm hoping NCState will approach the SEC and the SEC invites 'em in. Along with VaTech.

All predicated on the schools initiating the dialogue with the SEC first, of course...

If we're headed for another round of expansion, I hope the SEC PTBs won't go for two schools in North Carolina but instead will pick up one of the state of Virginia flagship schools.

Bottom line though: I'll be surprised if (a) the 247sports rumor is true; and (b) even if it is true, I'll be surprised if UNC bolts for the Big Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTideMang View Post
    How would that work with 18 teams? Just play the 8 in your division + 1 from east? Some teams would never play each other again (because the lower teams will never make it to the SECCG.
    You are right, if the SEC were to expand beyond 16 they might as well go to 20 teams. Then you could have 5, 4 team divisions with each team playing the 3 in their division plus at least 1 or more from the other divisions. Hope it doesn't happen that way and 16 I would hope is the max. You would think NC and Duke would want to be a package deal though so who knows?