Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

FWIW, the UNC Tar Pit site has locked a couple of threads on this topic, noting in one thread that UNC has had an offer from the Big Ten since they were at 11 teams. IOW, nothing new as I read the few comments on Tar Pit; just someone stirring the pot.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    On the bright side, if the SEC can't get North Carolina, there is simply no reason for them to expand at all anytime soon. Where would NC State and VT go? So, the SEC would be in no rush and could consider all options.

Let's be clear here though, if the SEC added NC State and VT after the Big 10 added NC and Virginia (which is worth less to the Big 10 than it would be to the SEC), it would be like responding to a conference adding Alabama and Florida by adding Auburn and Miami. Not the worst possible move, but obviously you don't want second pick.

I don't think UNC or VA would ever consider the SEC and vice versa. They are not SEC type schools in many ways. VT and NCS are and it would be a good fit completely across the board. I don't look at it as getting the second pick. We add two big TV markets and if the Big 10 gets aggressive I think you will see the SEC do the same and snag both VT and NCS.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I maybe wrong, and it would not be the first time, but I cannot see either UNC or UVA aligning with the SEC. I do however agree with Krazy, there is no reason not to make a run at both of them. I really, really, really hate expansion.
    You don't make a run if you don't have a legitimate shot--otherwise, you let the Big 10 and DoucheMeister Delany score cheap points at our expense.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    We add two big TV markets and if the Big 10 gets aggressive I think you will see the SEC do the same and snag both VT and NCS.
    That's just it, the SEC would be adding them for their TV markets, not because of their great history of success. NC State is the Auburn of basketball, and Virginia Tech is somewhere between Boise St. and Florida St. They're just not very attractive. UNC is incredibly valuable, just their tier 3 rights alone are worth in the neighborhood of ten million a year.

If NC and Virginia are in the Big 10, then the SEC can look around at all the TV markets and decide what they want to do. Even if you stick to the adjacent states, you have Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio for example that you could consider as well. That includes Cincinnati and Notre Dame. If only TV markets matter, then why not Syracuse?

Mainly though, the SEC should be flirting with only two programs (both long shots, UNC and Notre Dame) and if neither are a possibility I'm not really sure any other additions that seem possible would really help matters. I pretty much said the same back when Texas A&M was in play, I said that the SEC should flirt with Texas A&M because if nothing else it gave them another option to leaving for the Pac-12. It was the right move, and I'm just praying the SEC doesn't think VT is really the best addition at the moment (there's a possibility that the SEC really wanted Oklahoma, you know because they needed dinky little state). The SEC also apparently wanted Miami and FSU (instead of Arkansas and South Carolina), because you know, they aren't popular enough in the state of Florida. The SEC seems to have been as lucky as smart when it comes to expansion.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I haven't really felt great about expansion past 14 but you'd be a fool not to admit the reality of the 16+ team super conferences. It's going to happen as the impending playoff system has basically named the winners and losers.

The issue I see is the difficulty in finding at least two more suitors that add new markets and provide some actual value. I fear some teams may add markets on paper and raise overall conference revenue but the pie won't grow in line with the new mouths to feed. Basically, we end up in a situation where Alabama is getting less than they would at 14 teams. I'm not excited by the value of Virginia or NCST while the better gets - FSU, Clemson, and maybe GT - are inconsequential to the TV broadcasters due to market overlap.

At this moment, we may toss the logic of market expansion and solidify the core of the product. I think an SEC Network would do just fine being the sole major sports location in Florida with the Seminoles and Gators. GT further solidifies the ATL market. I say if the idea is 18 or more then go and get our ACC end of the season rivals (FSU, GT, and Clemson) plus VT, NCST, and maybe Miami.

BamaNation First Team Lost in TN's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I think we go after the University of San Francisco so that we can cover the Northern California TV Market. While we are at it, lets get Buffalo so that we can get the Upstate NY TV markets.

NO ADDITIONS TO THE SEC!!!!!
    IT IS FINE THE WAY IT IS!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I guess my idea is to completely rip the ACC apart between the Big Ten and SEC. We're in a cold war with the Big Ten. They have the jump on the television network but they know Alabama is positioning for something even bigger with their network. Their moves eastward are more of a preemptive attack against the SEC Network footprint than screwing over Notre Dame. To be sure, Notre Dame stands to get properly screwed if what I think is going to happen actually happens. It makes a lot of sense though...once the SEC reacts to this moves then ND has little choice but to align with the Big Ten and get them near the 20 number.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in TN View Post
    I think we go after the University of San Francisco so that we can cover the Northern California TV Market. While we are at it, lets get Buffalo so that we can get the Upstate NY TV markets.

NO ADDITIONS TO THE SEC!!!!!
    IT IS FINE THE WAY IT IS!!!!!!!
    I feel the same but it simply isn't the reality. The major players are in market acquisition mode and I fear that the end game is the SEC and Big Ten overtaking the two old guard Atlantic seaboard conferences.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The problem with UNC and UVA to the SEC as some here are suggesting/considering is that we don't play lacrosse. For UNC that is probably their #2 money sport behind basketball and for UVA it is probably #1.

They aren't walking away from that sport to join the SEC. Period.

With VaTech and NCState no such concern. They play lax but it is not a big money maker for them.
    “I think that a lot in life comes down to expectations sometimes, and we didn’t come here looking for a moral victory.”— Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by tambo410 View Post
    The problem with UNC and UVA to the SEC as some here are suggesting/considering is that we don't play lacrosse. For UNC that is probably their #2 money sport behind basketball and for UVA it is probably #1.
    UNC has football attendance around 50,000 per game. They get good support in football, I'm not sure I can buy that. I know lacrosse is important, but they could compete in lacrosse in another conference. Not saying UNC is a realistic addition, but I am saying lacrosse won't be the difference maker.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Every alum of UNC and UVA in NYC and DC I talk to want the SEC 100%. They say the big boosters closer to those campuses don't want anything to do with the Big 1G. They consider their alma maters southern schools, and they want to remain that way. Every alum I know hates the Northern Big 1G schools, hate the dying States they are in, and hate their athletic programs.

The academic argument is a joke. Stanford is not impacted by now playing sports against Utah and Colorado. And when you strip out Northwestern and Michigan from the Big 1G the academic ratings for the top half are pretty similar when comparing Florida, Georgia, A&M, Alabama, etc. to the Big 1G's top public universities.

For the SEC, UNC is obviously, for many reasons I don't have time to get into, the crown jewel of expansion. They bring a ton to the table. Virginia would be number two. Both are flagship schools, like UGA, UF, Bama, Tenn, USCe, etc.

NC State and Virginia Tech would be like adding Auburn and Mississippi State. They don't add NEARLY as much as the flagship schools in the State. If we are going to expand, Slive needs to push very hard for UNC and UVA.

Quote Originally Posted by tambo410 View Post

They aren't walking away from that sport to join the SEC. Period.

With VaTech and NCState no such concern. They play lax but it is not a big money maker for them.
    That's not true.

double post