Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

I just don't think UVA and NCST are good gets that will grow the revenue share. They'll grow revenue but ultimately end up being a no-gain or loss in terms of the check the schools get each year. That is why I think we go big and gut the ACC if we expand further. Just absolutely make the South the SEC's to have...lets not forget that the vast majority of college football followers are in the South. Why else do you think they open Gameday with that hokey country crap? It appeals to their audience.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I agree that UNC is the big catch left out there--but one random element that I think we're all forgetting is Kentucky. I'm not sure they are ready to give up top dog status in basketball.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; February 19th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame JPT4Bama's Avatar

All of this expansion is just contributing to the overall suckification of college football. If we add only two more then I'm cool with it. Any more than that is just bs. IMO
    Ask me about my vow of silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    So who do we go for without violating the "gentleman's agreement" against in state rivals (Tech, FSU, Clemson, etc.)? I'm guessing NC State and Virginia Tech would be the most likely targets if we are going at the ACC.
    This "agreement" is the most absurd thing ever, imo. The charter SEC programs in Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi are all being penalized by the posturing of the UF's and UGA's of the League.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I just don't think UVA and NCST are good gets that will grow the revenue share. They'll grow revenue but ultimately end up being a no-gain or loss in terms of the check the schools get each year. That is why I think we go big and gut the ACC if we expand further. Just absolutely make the South the SEC's to have...lets not forget that the vast majority of college football followers are in the South. Why else do you think they open Gameday with that hokey country crap? It appeals to their audience.
    Why should Joe Fan give one rip about generating extra SEC revenue?

i do know unc loves their baseball and after joining the b1g, they can kiss their college world series hopes goodbye. from what i have read, their fans and alumni prefer the sec. more rivals, better weather and just a better fit. they are also worried about ncst going to the sec and thinking thats what they should have done. i would be happy with vt and ncst. i really believe they would take over their states with the sec connection over time.

i just dont want the b1g in sec country...with adding gt and fsu from what i have heard they might be going after.

I have a feeling the splash that txam had has no doubt had an effect on other potential members. Does unc want to go route of texas and allow ncst to rake its spot and possibly take over top billing in the state? No one probably thought that could happen with the aggies but now that it has to make one think a little harder.

If i am one of the unc ptbs, I would think the SEC would be the safe bet if you move at all provided the SEC can shed some clarity on the revenue opportunity.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MrRourke View Post
    This "agreement" is the most absurd thing ever, imo. The charter SEC programs in Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi are all being penalized by the posturing of the UF's and UGA's of the League.
    On the other hand, it keeps out Memphis, Southern Miss and the Extension Center. Not that any of them would be on the SEC's radar (maybe Memphis), but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by tambo410 View Post
    The problem with UNC and UVA to the SEC as some here are suggesting/considering is that we don't play lacrosse. For UNC that is probably their #2 money sport behind basketball and for UVA it is probably #1.

They aren't walking away from that sport to join the SEC. Period.

With VaTech and NCState no such concern. They play lax but it is not a big money maker for them.
    Lacrosse will soon be an NCAA sport every where. It is taking off big time.

My daughter goes to UNC and I've attended football, basketball, and women's soccer games. Even in a down year, against a lesser opponent, the atmosphere at a basketball game is undeniable. But for all the rich talent that rolls in to the football program, game attendance is pitiful. When NC State played at UNC, the stadium was about evenly split with fans. UNC is not a football school. My other daughter does to VT and those fans a fun and rabid.

UNC's football program would take a giant leap if the school joins the SEC. The school is great in almost every other sport. As the flagship university in a state of 9 million people, the talent is available. A move to the SEC, which I don't think is going to happen, would be a football move. Within 5 years the school would be competitive in football. Meanwhile, the SEC would benefit from one of the best brands in the country.

If you had UNC, the second team becomes a fill-in-the-blank. NCSU gives me the willies, though. Too much like AU in way too many ways.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

I suspect this is all a moot point at least for a few years. However, I find it interesting when people proclaim that UVA would add so much more to the SEC than would VaTech. Certainly UVA is one of the top public colleges in America. I get that. I've lived over 30 years of my adult life in Virginia. I follow Virginia sports... even William & Mary... If the topic is sports - and football in particular - VaTech will put more fannies in the seats, eyeballs on the sets, and visiting fans in other venues, than will UVA.

IMO UVA would be one more mouth to feed... and would expect the other SEC institutions to thank UVA for the privilege of shoveling money at them. OTOH, VaTech has a rabid fan following and would earn their keep.