Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

I'd add, that the ACC has been in the quandary for a decade now. They expanded into New England with Boston College and to the edge of Florida with Miami while bringing in Virginia Tech - the second best Big East football power - in the process. What did it do for them in football? Nothing much really.

Miami is only a factor when they are a contender. The whole City of Miami is a ring chasing bunch. They were a Dolphins town under Shula, a Canes town from the late-80s through the early-2000s, and now they're a Heat town under the Wade/Shaq and Wade/Lebron runs. Miami hasn't been a contender and therefore they've been a market non-factor to the ACC. Boston College is in the heart of pro sports country. Virginia Tech has been their biggest win and they don't even compete well against the elite of the sport.

They over-expanded their sphere of influence and bought into two brands that really add very little when they aren't a contender. VT was basically just the tagalong to get them a ACCCG and they've been the best inclusion of the bunch. I'd be wary of expanded into markets where college football isn't king. Texas A&M and Mizzou were good fits in that regard. I'm concerned about going into North Carolina expecting SEC football to become a big deal there.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I'd add, that the ACC has been in the quandary for a decade now. They expanded into New England with Boston College and to the edge of Florida with Miami while bringing in Virginia Tech - the second best Big East football power - in the process. What did it do for them in football? Nothing much really.

Miami is only a factor when they are a contender. The whole City of Miami is a ring chasing bunch. They were a Dolphins town under Shula, a Canes town from the late-80s through the early-2000s, and now they're a Heat town under the Wade/Shaq and Wade/Lebron runs. Miami hasn't been a contender and therefore they've been a market non-factor to the ACC. Boston College is in the heart of pro sports country. Virginia Tech has been their biggest win and they don't even compete well against the elite of the sport.

They over-expanded their sphere of influence and bought into two brands that really add very little when they aren't a contender. VT was basically just the tagalong to get them a ACCCG and they've been the best inclusion of the bunch. I'd be wary of expanded into markets where college football isn't king. Texas A&M and Mizzou were good fits in that regard. I'm concerned about going into North Carolina expecting SEC football to become a big deal there.
    UM averages under 50K attendance...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Talking about Mizzou or Miami?

TOO. MANY. UM.

haha

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Took a look at Mizzou's website and answered my own question. They averaged somewhere between 64-66k this season at Faurot Field. Must be Missouri.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

At what point does the business model stop working in practice? What gains do we really get in modest football markets in Virginia and North Carolina
    When we can not add more eyeballs watching our games. The excitement of the SEC coming to these markets will be huge as it has been in Texas. In th.e long term if we get the NC and VA markets we are moving up the eastern coast (the most heavily populated area of the country) and with VA you add the DC market. I don't think you can classify it as a modest football market.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is DC a college sports town though? I should have been clearer with that...will they be interested in college football like the Skins?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

That's my point really. At what point does the business model stop working in practice? What gains do we really get in modest football markets in Virginia and North Carolina...especially when it seems like we will be getting the Auburn equivalent of each state in the process?
    As to your latter point, I don't think the SEC should expand just to expand. If they make the right additions, great, but they shouldn't go into a state simply to be there. Otherwise, why not just go straight to Ohio or New York? As to the first point... you are kind of on to something. I think cable fees are nearing unsustainable levels. When we first got basic cable it was $12, now ESPN alone is like $6. Eventually all this money they are throwing around is going to dry up, unless they make some real changes. People are not going to pay $200 a month for cable.
    You add two programs whose combined attendance in football isn't much more than that of Alabama's and that's how it goes. People keep thinking success on the football field is a sure fire indicator of value to a conference. If that was the case, every conference would have been dying to add Boise St. There are many other factors and clearly Miami and Virginia Tech didn't bring those with them. They are proof positive you can't just pile teams that have won a lot of football games lately on top of other teams that have won a lot of football games lately and come up with something better.
    Is DC a college sports town though? I should have been clearer with that...will they be interested in college football like the Skins?
    They have slowly and grudgingly given Virginia Tech some attention. But everything I have seen indicates they are a pro football town, and are far too diverse to get behind a single college football team even if they did care about college sports. That's one reason I don't see the state of Virginia was being that attractive.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Post Thanks / Like

Took a look at Mizzou's website and answered my own question. They averaged somewhere between 64-66k this season at Faurot Field. Must be Missouri.
    No, I meant Miami. Last I looked they were somewhere in the mid to upper 40Ks...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Many of my Virginia years were in the DC area. DC is a pro town. Redskins uber alles. (This is despite Dan Snider doing all he can to drive away the Redskins fans. But I digress...) Nats & Wizards compete for a very distant second place. DC residents are from all over; and bring their college allegiances with 'em. Heck, there's a credible Bama following in the DC area! But my own observations - via lots of college football discussions over almost three decades in the DC area - are that VaTech and MD have more support than any other single school.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Krazy, you seem to be on about the same page as me on this subject. So do you think at a certain point that if we're going to add teams that the decision may be to look within the market footprint and bring in programs who have fan interest and the ability to share the weight like Clemson and FSU?

My thing is that I think FSU and Clemson are as good or better additions with no market expansion involved than any reasonable market expansion option. I'm kind of starting to agree with you about the Notre Dame idea. They're the biggest jewel available and worth stretching the geographic bounds over. Obviously, I prefer the FSU+Clemson plan to Notre Dame but if we're going to get a bigger footprint then lets really get something out of it.
    Last edited by rgw; February 20th, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

I still believe is ND would just join a conference that would be the end of all this.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

You are correct that DC is a pro sports city but we would get a certain percentage of that area to watch.

With VA we would get the 12th largest populated state with 8.1 mil people and with NC we would get the 10th largest populated state with 9.7 mil people. They would be #4 and #5 most populated states if they joined the SEC behind only TX, FLA and GA. We would be adding over 19 mil people if you include DC to the SEC footprint and I think this would certainly outweigh adding Clemson and FSU who are already in our footprint. I totally agree Clemson and FSU would make our league better in football but.....
    Last edited by TiderJ; February 20th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

That 19-mil isn't going to all watch college football though. That is the problem, we may pull one over the broadcasters with the big market numbers for a contract but they'll tell us to readjust our offers if they aren't pulling in acceptable numbers in those new states. As krazy said, sports on basic cable have been a huge driving factor in the growth for cable/satellite subscription cost. We're going to find the ceiling for which the cable providers are willing to pay to have ESPN and others on basic cable. When basic cable packages start moving to premium packages because of their cost, the viewership will drop and the television contracts with the conferences will get readjusted.