Maryland 247sports site reporting UNC has a Big Ten offer

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we go after the University of San Francisco so that we can cover the Northern California TV Market. While we are at it, lets get Buffalo so that we can get the Upstate NY TV markets.

NO ADDITIONS TO THE SEC!!!!!
IT IS FINE THE WAY IT IS!!!!!!!
I feel the same but it simply isn't the reality. The major players are in market acquisition mode and I fear that the end game is the SEC and Big Ten overtaking the two old guard Atlantic seaboard conferences.

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
The problem with UNC and UVA to the SEC as some here are suggesting/considering is that we don't play lacrosse. For UNC that is probably their #2 money sport behind basketball and for UVA it is probably #1.

They aren't walking away from that sport to join the SEC. Period.

With VaTech and NCState no such concern. They play lax but it is not a big money maker for them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The problem with UNC and UVA to the SEC as some here are suggesting/considering is that we don't play lacrosse. For UNC that is probably their #2 money sport behind basketball and for UVA it is probably #1.
UNC has football attendance around 50,000 per game. They get good support in football, I'm not sure I can buy that. I know lacrosse is important, but they could compete in lacrosse in another conference. Not saying UNC is a realistic addition, but I am saying lacrosse won't be the difference maker.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
Every alum of UNC and UVA in NYC and DC I talk to want the SEC 100%. They say the big boosters closer to those campuses don't want anything to do with the Big 1G. They consider their alma maters southern schools, and they want to remain that way. Every alum I know hates the Northern Big 1G schools, hate the dying States they are in, and hate their athletic programs.

The academic argument is a joke. Stanford is not impacted by now playing sports against Utah and Colorado. And when you strip out Northwestern and Michigan from the Big 1G the academic ratings for the top half are pretty similar when comparing Florida, Georgia, A&M, Alabama, etc. to the Big 1G's top public universities.

For the SEC, UNC is obviously, for many reasons I don't have time to get into, the crown jewel of expansion. They bring a ton to the table. Virginia would be number two. Both are flagship schools, like UGA, UF, Bama, Tenn, USCe, etc.

NC State and Virginia Tech would be like adding Auburn and Mississippi State. They don't add NEARLY as much as the flagship schools in the State. If we are going to expand, Slive needs to push very hard for UNC and UVA.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012

They aren't walking away from that sport to join the SEC. Period.

With VaTech and NCState no such concern. They play lax but it is not a big money maker for them.
That's not true.

tambo410

1st Team
Nov 25, 2008
Fallston, MD
www.vrbo.com
UNC has football attendance around 50,000 per game. They get good support in football, I'm not sure I can buy that. I know lacrosse is important, but they could compete in lacrosse in another conference. Not saying UNC is a realistic addition, but I am saying lacrosse won't be the difference maker.
We may have to agree to disagree on this one. I can't find lax attendence listed anywhere but what I do know, the cost of fielding a 25 man lax team is a fraction of their football teams budget. I think when you factor all together it makes it too difficult to join the SEC IMHO.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Is Slive asleep at the wheel as we speak or snoring in the background?

Or is he working to counteract what the B1G may do or try to do so that we protect the SEC's interests?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We may have to agree to disagree on this one. I can't find lax attendence listed anywhere but what I do know, the cost of fielding a 25 man lax team is a fraction of their football teams budget. I think when you factor all together it makes it too difficult to join the SEC IMHO.
You have to add in the cost of a football ticket (which is higher I'm sure), PPV money from football, radio broadcast, etc...

Believe me, I've been studying numbers, income, sports revenue, all that sorts of things and I have yet to see lacrosse mentioned as a cash cow. I just don't think a lot of people realize how well the state of North Carolina supports college football (considering a complete lack of success).

For instance, in 2010 North Carolina was 30th in attendance with 58,250 per game. That's ahead of a lot of schools, and supposed football power Virginia Tech (which is atrocious at every other sport so we better hope they make good money off football) was at 66K. So, North Carolina isn't exactly Duke when it comes to football.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
North Carolina has men's teams for lacrosse, soccer, wrestling and fencing. They have women's teams for lacrosse, fencing, field hockey and rowing.

NC State has men's soccer and wrestling. Their women don't have any non-SEC sports and do not row. They have rifle, which is co-ed.

Virginia's men have lacrosse, soccer and wrestling. Their women have field hockey, lacrosse and rowing. They do not do gymnastics.

Virginia Tech men wrestle and play soccer. Their women play lacrosse. The women do not golf, do gymnastics or row.

Kentucky and South Carolina have men's soccer. The SEC sponsors a sport if four schools play it, so if two of these join, men's soccer would be an official league sport. Florida and Vandy have women's lacrosse, so if we get two of the lacrosse schools, the women's teams will have a home here. UNC and UVA could join us and UT in rowing. If we get three wrestling teams, they will be with Missouri for that sport.

Looking at this UNC would be the most out of place sports wise.

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri
Being from Roanoke, VA, I think if they are available, you have to take VT. Since mid-90s, VT has dominated that state and that area in football. It's the only big time sport really in the whole SW VA area. With fans spread out across VA, NC, TN and up past DC, you grab huge markets in Charlotte, DC, Roanoke. Also, would stoke a nice rivalry with Tennessee. I guess that would leave NC State, which isn't wonderful, but better than some schools. Wouldn't mind Clemson coming over.

To stir the pot a little, could us playing VT for a second time now in Atlanta, something to this?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That's just it, the SEC would be adding them for their TV markets, not because of their great history of success. NC State is the Auburn of basketball, and Virginia Tech is somewhere between Boise St. and Florida St. They're just not very attractive. UNC is incredibly valuable, just their tier 3 rights alone are worth in the neighborhood of ten million a year.
While neither team has had great success they are both respectable. What I have learned about our first round of expansion, the SEC can turn a #2 team in the state to the #1 team and in a hurry. And seriously it is about the money at this point.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I wonder if gatech is really in play here? While there is no correlation, if delaney were to add them I wonder if he immediately starts working on playing the big10 championship in ATL just to .... off the SEC and try build market share in the south? Helps with their recruiting, etc. That would be a bold move imo. It would be difficult for the SEC to counter just because other than the DC market there really isn't much value in expanding North.

It would seem the smartest thing for the SEC and slive to do would be to actually have an SEC network to market to potential new members. You kno what you can do with revenue projections on a piece of paper...

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
While neither team has had great success they are both respectable. What I have learned about our first round of expansion, the SEC can turn a #2 team in the state to the #1 team and in a hurry. And seriously it is about the money at this point.
Do you mean South Carolina? Because I wouldn't say in a hurry, Clemson and South Carolina have been neck and neck for a while with South Carolina only gaining ground in the past few years.

If you mean Texas A&M, they are not #1 in the state yet, but I was a huge supporter of adding them. Really big, going back to over a year before they were added. It's about what they had to offer and A&M had a lot to offer. Virginia Tech ain't no A&M, and neither is NC State. That's all there is to it. Heck, I'm not sure either are Missouri...

I don't think people get how horrible Virginia Tech's athletic department is. They have like one national championship in anything, ever (I'm trying to remember if they actually won one at all), they earn much, much less than Virginia, and they won something like one whole bowl game prior to Beamer. I'm thinking I might be giving them too much credit, but to be clear here we're talking about something like the 60th all time football program, and that's what they are good at. Mississippi State hasn't exactly become a juggernaut in the SEC, nor has Vanderbilt...

I don't dislike NC State nearly as much as I dislike VT, but NC State is just so far behind UNC. They are a clear consolation prize, and North Carolina is no Texas. Their brand is a national brand, that has ties to the likes of Michael Jordan. They're more like Notre Dame, in that people will fawn over everything they do (in basketball). NC State, and not even Texas A&M are going to get that level of adoration.

But... I'm not saying VT and NC State are horrid additions. They have to be in a list of candidates, I'd just hate to see the SEC get consolation prizes from both states.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Here is a list for lacrosse attendance I found from 2009. I think it is a spring sport so this is four years old.

2009 NCAA Men's Lacrosse
Average Home Attendance Leaders

1. Syracuse 5,832
2. Ohio State 5,762
3. Navy 5,263
4. Johns Hopkins 3,036
5. Massachusetts 2,930
6. Virginia 2,712
7. Hofstra 2,455
8. Cornell 2,317
9. Towson 2,187
10. Loyola 2,084
11. North Carolina 1,769
12. Maryland 1,653
13. Princeton 1,599
14. Stony Brook 1,554
15. Duke 1,527
16. Georgetown 1,517
17. UMBC 1,333
18. Harvard 1,271
19. Brown 1,038
20. Rutgers 1,034

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=15477

I looked on the UNC's web site and you can buy tickets for $5. So based on 2009 attendance, that's less than $10,000 a game in ticket revenue. Hardly a big money maker.

Last edited:

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
This is spot on.

UNC is the CLEAR #1 target for the SEC. UNC has a national following, a historically top 10 basketball program, and a supported and respectable football program. NC State would be like adding another Auburn or Mississippi State and would be a tremendous miss if the SEC had to go that direction.

UVA adds MUCH more value than Virginia Tech. But, the discrepancy is not nearly as wide as the UNC vs NC State comparison.

Also, North Carolina and Virginia make a lot of sense to the SEC given the geographic footprint, media markets, athletic programs, etc. And UNC and UVA are the flagship schools from those two states.

Do you mean South Carolina? Because I wouldn't say in a hurry, Clemson and South Carolina have been neck and neck for a while with South Carolina only gaining ground in the past few years.

If you mean Texas A&M, they are not #1 in the state yet, but I was a huge supporter of adding them. Really big, going back to over a year before they were added. It's about what they had to offer and A&M had a lot to offer. Virginia Tech ain't no A&M, and neither is NC State. That's all there is to it. Heck, I'm not sure either are Missouri...

I don't think people get how horrible Virginia Tech's athletic department is. They have like one national championship in anything, ever (I'm trying to remember if they actually won one at all), they earn much, much less than Virginia, and they won something like one whole bowl game prior to Beamer. I'm thinking I might be giving them too much credit, but to be clear here we're talking about something like the 60th all time football program, and that's what they are good at. Mississippi State hasn't exactly become a juggernaut in the SEC, nor has Vanderbilt...

I don't dislike NC State nearly as much as I dislike VT, but NC State is just so far behind UNC. They are a clear consolation prize, and North Carolina is no Texas. Their brand is a national brand, that has ties to the likes of Michael Jordan. They're more like Notre Dame, in that people will fawn over everything they do (in basketball). NC State, and not even Texas A&M are going to get that level of adoration.

But... I'm not saying VT and NC State are horrid additions. They have to be in a list of candidates, I'd just hate to see the SEC get consolation prizes from both states.

Last edited:

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
I wonder if gatech is really in play here? While there is no correlation, if delaney were to add them I wonder if he immediately starts working on playing the big10 championship in ATL just to .... off the SEC and try build market share in the south? Helps with their recruiting, etc. That would be a bold move imo. It would be difficult for the SEC to counter just because other than the DC market there really isn't much value in expanding North.

It would seem the smartest thing for the SEC and slive to do would be to actually have an SEC network to market to potential new members. You kno what you can do with revenue projections on a piece of paper...

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
The SEC is locked into ATL for a while.

And I doubt the Big 1G would move the game hundreds of miles from its universities. Their game is not well attended already in the Midwest. They would likely draw ACC level crowds in ATL.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I am not going to regurgitate points that Krazy has made, so I will just put in my hat saying if expansion round 3 is about to be set off..we want to walk away with UNC and UVA, and if not, just hold our cards a while...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just don't think UVA and NCST are good gets that will grow the revenue share. They'll grow revenue but ultimately end up being a no-gain or loss in terms of the check the schools get each year. That is why I think we go big and gut the ACC if we expand further. Just absolutely make the South the SEC's to have...lets not forget that the vast majority of college football followers are in the South. Why else do you think they open Gameday with that hokey country crap? It appeals to their audience.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.