Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 40
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hueytown, Al
    Posts
    4,311
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonSEC View Post
    That was Florida St.
    Ah, thanks. Well he lost control of them too I'm sure.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    he did coach there as an assistant at one point, If I recall. or i could be thinking about someone else.
    Mark Richt played at Miami. He coached at Florida State.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

  4. #29
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Shalala is just posturing and hoping to generate some goodwill on the ground with her woe-is-us-the-victim spiel. It won't work, but given her history it comes as no surprise that she quickly resorted to hot air being spewed publicly. A skeptic would say that is apparently the only tool she has in the toolbox.
    And, god forbid, if we ever find ourselves in this position again, many of us would want our president to come out swinging. But since it's Miami, it's only blustering.
    Last edited by CrimsonEyeshade; February 22nd, 2013 at 03:45 PM.

  5. #30
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Oh I agree. Was outraged for us then and am outraged for them now.

    This case, just like ours, proves that the NCAA decides what you are guilty of and then works to find ways to back up their conclusions with evidence. If they can't find evidence they make it up, ignore their rules and move the goal posts. Nothing new here at all other than that they got caught. Investigations should start with evidence and then draw conclusions, theirs start with conclusions and fill in evidence.

    I am no fan of Shalala but I am glad she is there. The media loves her. The shenanigans the NCAA pulls needs to be exposed. Because of Donna S it will be.
    It may surprise you to learn that this is exactly the method that virtually all police departments follow, all except for the very best...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  6. #31
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    I'm not surprised. And it's not just the police - DA's have been known to do the same too, to keep their conviction % high. A massive flaw in our judicial system.

    Can't blame the NCAA TOO much if we act like we're okay with the American Legal System doing the same thing.

    Now, that said - I thought the NCAA had backed off of Miami? I haven't scoped the entire thread yet to see if that was addressed...
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

  7. #32
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    42,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by skrayper77 View Post
    I'm not surprised. And it's not just the police - DA's have been known to do the same too, to keep their conviction % high. A massive flaw in our judicial system.

    Can't blame the NCAA TOO much if we act like we're okay with the American Legal System doing the same thing.

    Now, that said - I thought the NCAA had backed off of Miami? I haven't scoped the entire thread yet to see if that was addressed...
    They never said they were going to back off. All they announced was that they were going to exclude some of the evidence gathered because it was gathered in cooperation with law enforcement agencies and that there had been improprieties in the way it was gone about. They had an internal investigation, fired some people involved and proceeded with the case. There was speculation that they would have to back off, but that didn't come from the NCAA...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; February 21st, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Typo...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

  8. #33
    BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    If Miami gets off with no punishment, then Alabama was treated unfairly and so was USCw. We should get ALL our victories back! Plus at least several $Billion$ from the NCAA for transgressions against UA!!!!!!!

    If Miami gets off with no punishment, then anything should be legal and there should be no compliance policies for any University!!!!!!!
    I appreciate your point however for me any way, no matter what happens to Miami, or any other school. Alabama was treated unfairly. Never before or since has a school had to go thru such a conspiracy lead by a rival.

  9. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Trussville, AL, USA
    Posts
    6,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Volatile on TideFans.com

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    I don't think that there is really a parallel with law enforcement and the NCAA.

    In law enforcement, they don't start a case until a crime has been committed, so they already know (in most cases) what the primary charge is going to be and they are usually looking for a suspect or have the suspect in custody, so the fact that the crime is generally known prior to the identification of a suspect decrees that the process of building a case starts with the charges being filed against the defendant and then building the evidence afterward to build the case. Typically, the prosecutor or DA already requires that a reasonable amount of evidence be presented prior to filing charges or signing search and arrest warrants to gather evidence and take the suspect into custody.

    The NCAA process typically works from allegations against an institution and then they send in investigators to find evidence of wrongdoing. I guess that they generally don't release details of what violations they are investigating prior to publishing their findings, but I assume that they always know the primary violations that they are investigating because of the allegations which spark an investigation.

    My main problem with the NCAA is that there is no oversight and appealing findings through the same organization which produced them is a joke of a process. The NCAA does look for proof of violations, but if they can't find it, they'll just fill in evidentiary blanks with supposition in a pathetic attempt to justify their opinions, which are presented as fact. We've also seen that they don't respect their already insufficient rules if those rules would prevent them from being able to get the "facts" to support their charges.

    I'd love to see the NCAA get whacked unmercifully and completely and violently dismantled, but with the well-published history of behavior at "the U", I can't see them being the bellcow of a case for NCAA injustice.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

    "Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

  10. #35
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    near Perry, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    1,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tolerant on TideFans.com

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    The NCAA is a private organization that universities are free to leave at any time (of course, you won't have anyone to play sports with). The rules are set by the members and courts very rarely get involved, except when judges or governors are seeking re-election.

    If the membership wants to change the enforcement process, they can vote to do so.

  11. #36
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It may surprise you to learn that this is exactly the method that virtually all police departments follow, all except for the very best...
    I agree, but the difference is that the NCAA doesnt follow the same standards that law enforcement agencies must. Their enforcement of violations defies the laws of logic, and while im no fan of the Miami Hurricanes, Im glad to see that the NCAA is being made to show their stuff by Ms. Shalala...

  12. #37
    BamaNation All-American Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Atlanta 'Burbs
    Posts
    2,596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It may surprise you to learn that this is exactly the method that virtually all police departments follow, all except for the very best...
    doesn't surprise me at all, sadly.

  13. #38
    BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    694
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...22113?m_n=true

    Courtesy of IBCR

    This is turning into a real CF (oops. Sorry mods if I shouldn't use that. Just don't zap me please. I'll take it out) I could never feel sorry for the U; I hate them and the NZAA to the utmost. Emmert should've been gone as soon as he blew the scam/*U fiasco (I guess that horse is so far out of the barn never to be brought back). I'd like to see the NCAA and Miami both ruined. But what's to stop rogue programs like aubrens if the NCAA gets declawed? The boogs are supposedly already under investigation. What happens if Emmert and company start losing all the attacks they're under? Miami deserves to and should get nailed. The boogs have already been emboldened by all they've gotten away with these last few years. If this investigation of them goes bust then there's no stopping them and they'll find another scam to buy. I want to see Emmert get his due but something has to fill the void where the NCAA used to be. Sure I know the NCAA's not going to die right now. But if they get really stymied by the Miami mess and other attacks then look out. It'll just be a free-for-all out there.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

  14. #39
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Anniston, Alabama
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

    NCAA found $170K in Shapiro benefits..Not looking good for The U..

    Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!