Link: ESPN reporting Miami accused of lack of control

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
Shalala already posturing and making demands, and trying to turn this into an issue based the legal system, not the NCAA system. It looks like she has the bleeding heart female writers like Dinich and Dana O'Neil all on the "U" train

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Shalala already posturing and making demands, and trying to turn this into an issue based the legal system, not the NCAA system. It looks like she has the bleeding heart female writers like Dinich and Dana O'Neil all on the "U" train
I hope no one is surprised by her actions. Since this isn't NS, I'll leave it at that.

But, you could say she learned how to twist the legal system by some real pros.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If the things that the booster (Shapiro?) accused them of are even remotely true, then the LOC is completely warranted.
From Miami's official response to the NCAA posted last night

Many of the charges brought forth are based on the word of a man who made a fortune by lying. The NCAA enforcement staff acknowledged to the University that if Nevin Shapiro, a convicted con man, said something more than once, it considered the allegation "corroborated" - an argument which is both ludicrous and counter to legal practice.
Most of the sensationalized media accounts of Shapiro's claims are found nowhere in the Notice of Allegations. Despite their efforts over two and a half years, the NCAA enforcement staff could not find evidence of prostitution, expensive cars for players, expensive dinners paid for by boosters, player bounty payments, rampant alcohol and drug use, or the alleged hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash and gifts given to student-athletes, as reported in the media. The fabricated story played well - the facts did not.
http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=206465483

Corroboration is saying something twice?

looks like they couldn't make any of that stick. Probably because they had to throw all that evidence away

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
We all know that the NCAA doesn't have to have real evidence.

And what "evidence" they have doesn't necessarily have to be thrown out. This is not a court of law. They can pick and choose what "evicence" they like. It figures that Miami will, however, benefit from the NCAA's own stupidity.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Shalala is just posturing and hoping to generate some goodwill on the ground with her woe-is-us-the-victim spiel. It won't work, but given her history it comes as no surprise that she quickly resorted to hot air being spewed publicly. A skeptic would say that is apparently the only tool she has in the toolbox.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We all know that the NCAA doesn't have to have real evidence.

And what "evidence" they have doesn't necessarily have to be thrown out. This is not a court of law. They can pick and choose what "evicence" they like. It figures that Miami will, however, benefit from the NCAA's own stupidity.
All very true. The only standard they're held to is just to follow their own rules. They didn't even do that, in our case...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The U should consider themselves lucky then. We didn't get that standard with Means or Jelks.
Oh I agree. Was outraged for us then and am outraged for them now.

This case, just like ours, proves that the NCAA decides what you are guilty of and then works to find ways to back up their conclusions with evidence. If they can't find evidence they make it up, ignore their rules and move the goal posts. Nothing new here at all other than that they got caught. Investigations should start with evidence and then draw conclusions, theirs start with conclusions and fill in evidence.

I am no fan of Shalala but I am glad she is there. The media loves her. The shenanigans the NCAA pulls needs to be exposed. Because of Donna S it will be.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=ncfnation&id=77039

Whatever happens to Miami, some good has come out of this investigation. Public perception has finally started to turn. Everyone else is beginning to realize what we've known for decades. The NCAA does whatever the hell they want to whenever they want to. It's full of bitter, incompetent people with axes to grind and the resources to grind them.

I'd be shocked if any major changes actually happen up there in Indianapolis, but there needs to be some. The President of the organization has no problem defending himself by saying he didn't know about the improprieties That happened during the investigation of Miami. But that wouldn't be good enough for a member institution. Would it? I don't find it funny that the definition of what I consider to be "lack of institutional control" is what goes on in the place that's always hurling the allegation around.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If Miami gets off with no punishment, then Alabama was treated unfairly and so was USCw. We should get ALL our victories back! Plus at least several $Billion$ from the NCAA for transgressions against UA!!!!!!!

If Miami gets off with no punishment, then anything should be legal and there should be no compliance policies for any University!!!!!!!

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I am ready for the NCAA to get this Miami thing over with and move on to the barn. That investigation has been way to quiet for a while.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.