Florida Atlantic Football Joins The Prison-Industrial Complex

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm fairly positive that this will wind up on the Non-Sports board before the day is out, but since it's football, I'll start it here.

Link here

Florida Atlantic University has sold its naming rights to its (heretofore unnamed) stadium to The Geo Group, one of the world's largest operators of detention centers and for-profit prisons.

Their largest sources of income are U.S. state and federal prisons, and detention centers for illegal immigrants: both of which have come under criticism for alleged violations of civil liberties and human rights. The CEO of Geo Group holds bachelor's and master's degrees from FAU.

The terms of the agreement and the stadium's official name are still unknown, but FAU will receive about $5 million over the length of the deal.

Nothing official, but rumor has it that they'll (unofficially) call the stadium Owl-Catraz.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
When you attend a football game at Owl-Catraz, do you get a typical bag search and periodic pat down or do they pass go and go straight for the body cavity search?

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
This is an example of the over-capitalization of sports. It's just getting ridiculous, but this isn't as ridiculous as bowl naming has become. If I were dictator of college football, the first thing I'd do is restore some self-respect to bowl naming. I'd even be okay with the Chickfila Peach Bowl, or the Capital One Citrus Bowl, but not just the Chickfila Bowl

ETA: Everyone is far too concerned with making money as opposed to putting out a respectable product. It can also be seen in conference expansion and how Boise State and San Diego State almost ended up in the Big ....... East

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.