Per BamaOnline: Mike Groh to the Bears; Billy Napier back to Bama

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Being reported by Jamie Newberg of 247.

BamaOnline link here

Also being reported by the guys at BamaOnline that (current/most recent) WR Coach Mike Groh is headed to the NFL with the Chicago Bears.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What position did Groh accept?

Napier was recruiting coordinator for FSU. That makes two new assistants that can recruit the state of Florida. Love that.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I hate hate hate losing Coach Groh I was a big fan of his. One hell of a coach! Look how awesome our WRcorps was this year. It's not just all the talent. That talent was developed by coach Groh.

Oth the recruiting coordinator from fsu?! They've been really hot on the recruiting trail. That can't hurt at all. I hope he can coach though like Groh though.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Late in what game? This time of year is pretty much the perfect time to have coaching changes.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Agreed. Much better for them to leave after recruiting is over and prior to spring practice. I liked Groh a lot but our coaches moving on to bigger and better things is inevitable. This is why Saban always fills the vacated positions with very good coaches and recruiters because they want to get the "Saban education" and then they move on to bigger and better things. It is a beautiful cycle.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
We're not getting some big Florida recruiter. Napier had only been at FSU for a month. He spent last season working for CJMcE at Colorado State.

Seems Napier's background is primarily as a quarterbacks coach. I started to question why you would hire him to coach the receivers. Then I reminded myself CNS knows how to do his job better than anyone else can tell him how to do it.

I'm still bummed about losing CMG, the 2013 Recruiter of the Year.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
We're not getting some big Florida recruiter. Napier had only been at FSU for a month. He spent last season working for CJMcE at Colorado State.

Seems Napier's background is primarily as a quarterbacks coach. I started to question why you would hire him to coach the receivers. Then I reminded myself CNS knows how to do his job better than anyone else can tell him how to do it.

Napier is a former recruiter of the year himself.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just have to know CNS will get the best, I wish CMG all the best. I hope he is happy, working with all those millionaires.

He did a very good job here, you seen improvement every year.

I truly hope no bridges burned because I expect we may see him back.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

Billy Napier was a tremendous recruiter while at Clemson. He has experience as a offensive coordinator and has spent time coaching under Nick Saban at Alabama. It is the best case scenario is replacing Coach Groh.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Billy Napier was a tremendous recruiter while at Clemson. He has experience as a offensive coordinator and has spent time coaching under Nick Saban at Alabama. It is the best case scenario is replacing Coach Groh.
Exactly. Coach Groh was fantastic for us but this was absolutely the next best thing. Coaches seem to become even better recruiters under Nick Saban. I will give you one guess why that is.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Napier is a former recruiter of the year himself.

How many "recruiter of the year" guys have we had under Saban?
Seems like several or at least several in the running...

My take.. They are good at what they do but it's all about the closer we got who helps earn that title.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
How many "recruiter of the year" guys have we had under Saban?
Seems like several or at least several in the running...

My take.. They are good at what they do but it's all about the closer we got who helps earn that title.
The great part of this hire is that Billy Napier is a great recruiter in his own right, not to mention already spending time as a "quality control analyst" in 2011 at Alabama. I can't wait to see him on the road under Nick Saban. He was a "recruiter of the year" while at Clemson and Florida State had hired him as recruiting coordinator last month.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.