Per BamaOnline: Mike Groh to the Bears; Billy Napier back to Bama

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
At least CMG had the common decency to wait until after signing day to take the job(unlike a certain now FSU DC).. I totally respect that & hope he has great coaching career..Never "Burn The Bridges" when you leave Alabama & Coach Saban's coaching staff..Roll Tide Roll Coach Groh!!!!!!

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
At least CMG had the common decency to wait until after signing day to take the job(unlike a certain now FSU DC).. I totally respect that & hope he has great coaching career..Never burn the bridges when you leave Alabama & Coach Saban's coaching staff..Roll Tide Roll Coach Groh!!!!!!
Can't really blame that certain FSU DC, doubt FSU would have waited another month to get him. He did stay and coach BAMA in the BCS game. If you do have an issue with what Pruitt did, what do you say about our 2 latest hires who took a job for 30 days and bailed? All three men felt they had an opportunity they couldn't pass up. IMO Cristobal got a better title and away from the NCAA mess, and Pruitt got a heck of a promotion and pay raise. Napier, is probably the one who took a lateral move but, I am happy to have him.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Can't really blame that certain FSU DC, doubt FSU would have waited another month to get him. He did stay and coach BAMA in the BCS game. If you do have an issue with what Pruitt did, what do you say about our 2 latest hires who took a job for 30 days and bailed? All three men felt they had an opportunity they couldn't pass up. IMO Cristobal got a better title and away from the NCAA mess, and Pruitt got a heck of a promotion and pay raise. Napier, is probably the one who took a lateral move but, I am happy to have him.
I should have stated that better..I actually have no problem with him working his way up the coaching ranks..That's expected with any assistant coach{especially on Coach Saban's coaching staff}..My problem was him trying to sway some of Bama commits to FSU..That's a "Bush League" move anyway you slice it..Especially after Coach Saban gave him his chance & start as a coach on the college level..

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I should have stated that better..I actually have no problem with him working his way up the coaching ranks..That's expected with any assistant coach{especially on Coach Saban's coaching staff}..My problem was him trying to sway some of Bama commits to FSU..That's a "Bush League" move anyway you slice it..Especially after Coach Saban gave him his chance & start as a coach on the college level..

I agree with you there... Shouldn't have had contact with kids he recruited at BAMA. Of course it seems a lot of rules / respect that existed 15-20 years ago dont exist today. It is rare to see coaches hang around for more than a couple of years... Not saying its good or bad but, the days of men like Coach Fuller and coach Rouzie who and coach under multiple head coaches are long gone...

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010
I agree with the previous comment; Groh seemed to be making headway with our receivers, so he will be missed. On the other hand, I'm glad the NFL is starting to take notice of our talented staff. Hopefully he and Stoutland can influence the draft for a few of our players.

RTRCharlotte

Scout Team
Jul 26, 2010
This will be one of CNS's most challenging years. Tremendous turnover on a proven offensive line and a secondary which needs to be retooled the loss of Milner and Foster. The new assistants will also have to learn the play book (Nussmeier will be new to Napier). Saban is the man to do it though

Alakablamo

1st Team
Nov 24, 2001
Upstate, SC
Pruitt steals a Bama recruit away to FSU on his way out the door.
Bama steals the FSU recruiting coordinator on his way in the door.

Seems fair to me. :p

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Up to this point every hire we have made replacing a position coach has went smoothly. I remember when we lost Davis to TX only to get coach Rumph who has did a fabulous job. We lose Pendry and here comes Stoutland who know gets promoted to the NFL. I feel good as long as Saban is the one pulling the strings.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
There’s an old story about the HOF baseball player, Rogers Hornsby. An umpire once told a rookie pitcher who was complaining about balls and strikes, "Son, when you pitch a strike, Mr. Hornsbywill let you know it.”
That’s how I feel about hiring new assistant coaches. We'll know if they’re really good. Coach Saban lets us know by hiring them.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
There’s an old story about the HOF baseball player, Rogers Hornsby. An umpire once told a rookie pitcher who was complaining about balls and strikes, "Son, when you pitch a strike, Mr. Hornsbywill let you know it.”
That’s how I feel about hiring new assistant coaches. We'll know if they’re really good. Coach Saban lets us know by hiring them.
I get what you're saying, but our WR corps has flourished beyond our wildest dreams under Coach Groh, which raises the question--how good a WR coach is Napier?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Coach Saban makes mistakes, too. Just look at Major Applewhite.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I get what you're saying, but our WR corps has flourished beyond our wildest dreams under Coach Groh, which raises the question--how good a WR coach is Napier?
I agree Groh did a very good job but our talent at WR is the best in the nation. I think Napier will pick up where Groh left off.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.