Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Re: Texas Is Moving To An Up-Tempo Offense This Spring

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It's exactly the same song and dance AU's going through, and, in both cases, we're to blame...
    To the Barn's credit, at least that was what they were running before with Super Cam so they probably still have the players to run that system with Super Coach back at the helm.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

I thought they changed their offensive philosophy to a more run oriented team when Malcom Brown the rb committed to Tx over Bama.

Bet malcom wishes he could have that one back?

Guess this means the transition back to a smashmouth interior running game didn't work too well, eh? I suppose Texas fans will soon fully learn, if they haven't already, that it is less about what you run and more about how you run it.

As for Malcolm Brown, he hasn't done much in Austin. Some nagging injuries have slowed him, but honestly even when healthy I haven't seen a particularly impressive burst from him. Obviously things can change, but I think after a couple of years of on-field evaluation, it is probably safe to say that he was somewhat overrated as a prep recruit.

And I know a lot of people will say, "Well, he should have signed with Alabama." That may be, and he would certainly be running behind a much better offensive line with the assistance of a more threatening passing attack, but he would not have seen meaningful playing time in Tuscaloosa by this juncture. If he can't beat out Joe Bergeron and Johnathon Gray for playing time in Austin, he wasn't beating out Richardson, Lacy, and Yeldon in Tuscaloosa.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It's exactly the same song and dance AU's going through, and, in both cases, we're to blame...
    Texas is trying to keep up with A&M and they are changing philosophies. This is exactly what got Chiznik fired (going pro-style offense and defense to keep up with their in-state rival) and sent the Barn to their first ever no win SEC season. We are seeing the end of Mack Brown IMO.

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    We are seeing the end of Mack Brown IMO.
    You are right, this is probably his last opportunity to salvage his career at Texas. A&M has certainly put at least a nail in his coffin with their success last year but the thing is, they are out of their conference now and since they don't play, public perception is fueling the rivalry now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Yup..I agree 100% with both y'all..The Aggies are in Mack's & the SmallHorns heads since moving to the SEC..Especially after beating Bama as well..That had to chap their backsides in a major way..

Texas is trying to keep up with A&M and they are changing philosophies. This is exactly what got Chiznik fired (going pro-style offense and defense to keep up with their in-state rival) and sent the Barn to their first ever no win SEC season. We are seeing the end of Mack Brown IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTideFan View Post
    You are right, this is probably his last opportunity to salvage his career at Texas. A&M has certainly put at least a nail in his coffin with their success last year but the thing is, they are out of their conference now and since they don't play, public perception is fueling the rivalry now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I agree 100% with both y'all as well..Flip-flopping so soon after promising the last couple offensive recruiting classes that bought into the new power style offense is "Bush League" kinda stuff & will catch up to Mack with future recruits..Hope they enjoy stay at mediocrity..

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Guess this means the transition back to a smashmouth interior running game didn't work too well, eh? I suppose Texas fans will soon fully learn, if they haven't already, that it is less about what you run and more about how you run it.

As for Malcolm Brown, he hasn't done much in Austin. Some nagging injuries have slowed him, but honestly even when healthy I haven't seen a particularly impressive burst from him. Obviously things can change, but I think after a couple of years of on-field evaluation, it is probably safe to say that he was somewhat overrated as a prep recruit.

And I know a lot of people will say, "Well, he should have signed with Alabama." That may be, and he would certainly be running behind a much better offensive line with the assistance of a more threatening passing attack, but he would not have seen meaningful playing time in Tuscaloosa by this juncture. If he can't beat out Joe Bergeron and Johnathon Gray for playing time in Austin, he wasn't beating out Richardson, Lacy, and Yeldon in Tuscaloosa.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Seriously dilutes the advantage of having NINETEEN returning starters this year. Teaching old dogs new tricks. Idiotic.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

IMO, Brown has been overrated his entire coaching career. He did a good job at UNC and has had some success at UT, but I believe he is in the twilight of his career and needs to be replaced. texas would do well to clean house to include Dodds the AD as well. A program with the potential that texas has, has to expect much better than what they have been getting.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Buys more time....."We are adjusting to this new style...., same as the old style." Major didn't do so well calling spread plays for us now, did he?
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by graytide View Post
    imo, brown has been overrated his entire coaching career. He did a good job at unc and has had some success at ut, but i believe he is in the twilight of his career and needs to be replaced. Texas would do well to clean house to include dodds the ad as well. A program with the potential that texas has, has to expect much better than what they have been getting.
    shhhhhhhhhh!
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    But how many coaches have been in two of the past ten NC games?
    Seven:
    Nick Saban (4 times)
    Les Miles (2 times)
    Urban Meyer (2 times)
    Jim Tressel (3 times)
    Pete Carroll (2 times)
    Mack Brown (2 times)
    Bob Stoops (3 times)
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Going back a bit, for Texas the transition to a power running game never made any sense. Given that (1) Texas recruits solely in-state, and (2) the Texas prep ranks are so unanimously infatuated with the spread, it was always a terrible match between on-field scheme and recruiting pipeline. It's as terrible of an idea in terms of fit as was Callahan trying to install the spread at Nebraska, and the results have been just as bad.

Truth is Texas needs to run the spread, just run it better and most importantly do a far better job of player evaluation on the recruiting trails. When you tell back-to-back Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks that they aren't good enough to play in your scheme and that they will have to fight for playing time at safety, you'll never do much on offense regardless of what scheme you run.