Link: Texas Is Moving To An Up-Tempo Offense This Spring

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think one reason Texas talent is sometimes overrated is due to the incorrect assumption of a direct correlation between student population and football excellence. While size does matter and that's why high schools are broken up into classifications once you get past a certain size the law of diminishing returns takes over. There are only 22 starting spots that result in significant playing time and if you don't play you don't get better. Many more very athletic students might be available in a bigger high school but due to the hard work required and the lower chance of playing time they either go to other sports or just don't play at all.

Homewood in Birmingham for instance isn't that massive but they have fielded teams in the last 10 to 15 years that could play toe to toe with the biggest Texas teams. I'm not saying they would beat them all, just that the difference isn't as much as they would like to believe.

Bottom line is that it's ALL just high school football, dress it up all you want but it's a MASSIVE step up to Division 1 college football. Any kid who can play there is going to mostly dominate in high school. That's why it takes a real expert to watch the film and know who is really great and who is just taking advantage of slow footed kids who will one day be accountants and computer programmers.
Good post...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I just saw this article about Mack brown whining bout Bama again..So I though I would just add it here since we're talking about Mack..I'm really starting to dislike Mack a bunch..Everything is bigger in Texas..As in taking a lackadaisical approach to running his football program.. And just sheer moaning & groaning..Sheesh..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Now you know what those of us in Texas have to put up with. Puts a new twist on the old "those who can, do................" speech.

Being "those that can't, whine."

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Mack already making excuses. With the deep pockets at Texas it sure seems he would be building up a massive staff with the de-regulations but I guess it is easier being lazy and moaning and groaning about it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Mack already making excuses. With the deep pockets at Texas it sure seems he would be building up a massive staff with the de-regulations but I guess it is easier being lazy and moaning and groaning about it.
Mack commented on Alabama and the de-regulations. I'll start a new thread with the link.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..Coach Saban is playing 100% by the new NCAA deregulation rules..Mack needs to retire ASAP..He's making a fool of himself...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think TX high school recruits are overrated as well. Tops by far is still Florida & specifically south FL.
But Alabama HS kids have always been underrated there is some really good down home talent.

I would be satisfied if we NEVER went to Memphis again.

Talent is one thing for sure you need but the lessons from CNS & his staff have really brought out a kids Best.

Mack can't do that, sorry. If a kid needs a little help who is there Applewhite?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
All the major programs get great recruits, truthfully how much difference is there? It's what is done with these recruits once they are on campus and obviously nobody does it better than CNS.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I think TX high school recruits are overrated as well. Tops by far is still Florida & specifically south FL.
But Alabama HS kids have always been underrated there is some really good down home talent.

Talent is one thing for sure you need but the lessons from CNS & his staff have really brought out a kids Best.

Mack can't do that, sorry. If a kid needs a little help who is there Applewhite?
since we are on the subject of overrated HS football states, y'all can throw in California too.
I will give Cali kids one thing though, they beat Texas kids most of the time in head to head competition.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Go ahead but the trouble started before Aggy went to SEC and before anyone knew who Johnny Manziel was. If Mack doesn't mope around and actually coaches or handed the program to Muschamp, the course of history changes.

At the time the run was over, Aggy had nothing to do with it. We had just come off two straight wins over them, including the largest margin in series history. Mack decided to give up and pout after Colt got hurt. That's where it all began, 3 seasons before 11-2 and a Johnny Football Heisman
Took that off ShaggyBevo site.
They still can't get over it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Guys, this is bad on two fronts.

First, it’s bad management, and that would apply whether we were talking about a football team or any other organization.

It’s bad because it indicates that the leader (Brown) has no governing philosophy. It’s not that he has a bad philosophy -- which I think the spread is…more on that later – it’s that he doesn’t have one at all.

He’s gone from multiple to power to spread in only a very few years. It takes players and coaches with different mindsets, talents and physical abilities to run them all. So when you switch, you necessarily go through a 2 – 3 year transition period. And when you switch yet again, you’re forever behind the curve with your personnel both on and off the field.

Paul Bryant, Gene Stallings, Urban Meyer, and Steve Spurrier at Florida are actually consistent on this point. True, they had vastly different philosophies. You might agree or disagree with any of their outlooks. But each ran his team and recruiting 100% consistently with his governing concept. As a result, each won a lot of games.

Second, I think the spread is a fundamentally flawed philosophy, and therefore a poor choice.

The spread gives an outmanned team its best chance at an upset. If your running QB gets a hot passing hand, it can run up a lot of yards and points. But unless you have a Heisman-caliber QB, it’s exceedingly difficult to win championships with it. To us in the Southeast, I think it seems more effective than it is because we’ve seen Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel up close and personal.

If you want to build your team around a philosophy that requires a QB you’ll be lucky to get once in a generation, be my guest. If you want to build your team around a philosophy that generates considerably more consistent championship-caliber results, you’ll choose something else.

The barn’s results without Cam are highly instructive. In Chizik / Malzahn’s first year (2009), they ran up a lot of yards and points against lesser teams. But against Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and Georgia, they averaged 19.5 points a game.

In Chizik / Malzahn’s third year (a time by which their personnel should be thoroughly on board), they averaged 11.25 points against the teams that mattered, and even that’s being generous. The offense didn’t score against Alabama (fumble recovered in the end zone and a KR), and scored only a meaningless late TD against LSU, when they were already down 45-3. If you eliminate those scores, it’s a woeful 6 points a game.

Florida didn’t fare a lot better in their year under Meyer without Tebow.

UTw is looking like a drowning man grasping at anything. It’s clear that Mack Brown has no philosophy, so there are no fundamental principles to rally the troops (players, coaches and fans) around. Look no further than Bill Curry and Gene Chizik to see how this ends.

Sorry for the length. I just don't for the life of me understand why the talking heads don't pick up on this.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

Overated like Luck, RGIII, and Johnny Football? No doubt, Florida is number one, but there is a reason that Alabama spends time recruiting in Texas.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
UTw is looking like a drowning man grasping at anything. It’s clear that Mack Brown has no philosophy, so there are no fundamental principles to rally the troops (players, coaches and fans) around. Look no further than Bill Curry and Gene Chizik to see how this ends.

Sorry for the length. I just don't for the life of me understand why the talking heads don't pick up on this.
They may not have, but the UT fans certainly have. His name is "mud" or worse on the boards which allow profanity...

tru2bama

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Birmimgham, AL
All it takes is Coach saying he doesn't like defending the up tempo offense for every pretender out there to jump on it with two feet. Funny how they miss the fact that if coach already admitted that he already has a plan to defend it.

It's exactly the same song and dance AU's going through, and, in both cases, we're to blame... :D

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
Texas high school football may or may not be overated but that is not the problem. Texas produces enough talent for the Longhorns to run any type of offense or defense they choose. The problem is who they sign and how they develop them. Considering the UT ability to skim off pretty much whatever talent they want I don't understand why they ever went to the spread anyway. Limit Coach Saban to his pick of Texas talent and he still wins championships. Not Mack Brown.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.