Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Texas Is Moving To An Up-Tempo Offense This Spring

Some programs, whether high school or college, prefer quantity over quality. Quantity is easier.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mack Brown and Deloss Dodds.

Ten-gallon hats, a half-pint between the ears.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

The Longhorn Network's 700 subscribers are pleased

BamaNation All-American

Guys, this is bad on two fronts.

First, it’s bad management, and that would apply whether we were talking about a football team or any other organization.

It’s bad because it indicates that the leader (Brown) has no governing philosophy. It’s not that he has a bad philosophy -- which I think the spread is…more on that later – it’s that he doesn’t have one at all.

He’s gone from multiple to power to spread in only a very few years. It takes players and coaches with different mindsets, talents and physical abilities to run them all. So when you switch, you necessarily go through a 2 – 3 year transition period. And when you switch yet again, you’re forever behind the curve with your personnel both on and off the field.

Paul Bryant, Gene Stallings, Urban Meyer, and Steve Spurrier at Florida are actually consistent on this point. True, they had vastly different philosophies. You might agree or disagree with any of their outlooks. But each ran his team and recruiting 100% consistently with his governing concept. As a result, each won a lot of games.

Second, I think the spread is a fundamentally flawed philosophy, and therefore a poor choice.

The spread gives an outmanned team its best chance at an upset. If your running QB gets a hot passing hand, it can run up a lot of yards and points. But unless you have a Heisman-caliber QB, it’s exceedingly difficult to win championships with it. To us in the Southeast, I think it seems more effective than it is because we’ve seen Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Johnny Manziel up close and personal.

If you want to build your team around a philosophy that requires a QB you’ll be lucky to get once in a generation, be my guest. If you want to build your team around a philosophy that generates considerably more consistent championship-caliber results, you’ll choose something else.

The barn’s results without Cam are highly instructive. In Chizik / Malzahn’s first year (2009), they ran up a lot of yards and points against lesser teams. But against Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and Georgia, they averaged 19.5 points a game.

In Chizik / Malzahn’s third year (a time by which their personnel should be thoroughly on board), they averaged 11.25 points against the teams that mattered, and even that’s being generous. The offense didn’t score against Alabama (fumble recovered in the end zone and a KR), and scored only a meaningless late TD against LSU, when they were already down 45-3. If you eliminate those scores, it’s a woeful 6 points a game.

Florida didn’t fare a lot better in their year under Meyer without Tebow.

UTw is looking like a drowning man grasping at anything. It’s clear that Mack Brown has no philosophy, so there are no fundamental principles to rally the troops (players, coaches and fans) around. Look no further than Bill Curry and Gene Chizik to see how this ends.

Sorry for the length. I just don't for the life of me understand why the talking heads don't pick up on this.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    I think TX high school recruits are overrated as well. Tops by far is still Florida & specifically south FL.
    But Alabama HS kids have always been underrated there is some really good down home talent.

I would be satisfied if we NEVER went to Memphis again.

Talent is one thing for sure you need but the lessons from CNS & his staff have really brought out a kids Best.

Mack can't do that, sorry. If a kid needs a little help who is there Applewhite?
    Overated like Luck, RGIII, and Johnny Football? No doubt, Florida is number one, but there is a reason that Alabama spends time recruiting in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

UTw is looking like a drowning man grasping at anything. Its clear that Mack Brown has no philosophy, so there are no fundamental principles to rally the troops (players, coaches and fans) around. Look no further than Bill Curry and Gene Chizik to see how this ends.

Sorry for the length. I just don't for the life of me understand why the talking heads don't pick up on this.
    They may not have, but the UT fans certainly have. His name is "mud" or worse on the boards which allow profanity...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Second Team tru2bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

All it takes is Coach saying he doesn't like defending the up tempo offense for every pretender out there to jump on it with two feet. Funny how they miss the fact that if coach already admitted that he already has a plan to defend it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It's exactly the same song and dance AU's going through, and, in both cases, we're to blame...
    Roll Tide Roll!!!!

BamaNation Second Team

Texas high school football may or may not be overated but that is not the problem. Texas produces enough talent for the Longhorns to run any type of offense or defense they choose. The problem is who they sign and how they develop them. Considering the UT ability to skim off pretty much whatever talent they want I don't understand why they ever went to the spread anyway. Limit Coach Saban to his pick of Texas talent and he still wins championships. Not Mack Brown.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Shhhhhhhh, y'all...this is a great idea! Up-Tempo Offense huh? Brilliant! Man, I love Mack Brown. What a great coach. May he stay at Texas another 10 years!
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine Free Sta View Post
    Texas high school football may or may not be overated but that is not the problem. Texas produces enough talent for the Longhorns to run any type of offense or defense they choose. The problem is who they sign and how they develop them. Considering the UT ability to skim off pretty much whatever talent they want I don't understand why they ever went to the spread anyway. Limit Coach Saban to his pick of Texas talent and he still wins championships. Not Mack Brown.
    I'm not saying there's not a lot of talent in TX - there is. Mainly, what I'm trying to say is that, because of the all-spread environment in the state, and the close competition with each other, it makes it hard to tell when a kid is a genuine 5* and when it's hype. I think it's not so difficult to evaluate with the skill positions but it's hard with the grunts. When I'm talking about "evaluate," I'm talking about evaluating for our pro set and for the pros, not for Oregon...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I wish him just enough success to stay on board there.

We don't want to hear the mess that will come from all corners of the world if they fire him cause you know who'll be "rumored" as his replacement!!!

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Um..............lemme guess............who else is known for doing "less with more"?

Oh, I know! CMR. He would fit right in.
    "Mark it zero. Mark it zero, or you're entering a whole new world of pain."

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    Um..............lemme guess............who else is known for doing "less with more"?

Oh, I know! CMR. He would fit right in.
    Maybe Terry Donahue would come out of retirement?