Link: Texas Is Moving To An Up-Tempo Offense This Spring

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Looks likes Texas & Mack Brown aren't man enough to play SEC style football("Big Boy" football I should say}.Even though I hope Mack stays another 10yrs just to keep the most arrogant & most idiotic at times(even more so than auburn's) fanbase in constant misery..Mack simply needs to retire..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
No one in Cowhorn country noticed when Mack didn't get the job done spreading the field.
They never noticed the Cowhorns couldn't play 'Big Boy Football' either.

Mack has been behind the curve for a number of years.

Nothing like trying an offense after it's been out several years, and defenses are catching up.
Guess we will find out if Tx. noticed they better have a great defense when they run
a quick three and out.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
It sure seems like the game has passed him by. But how many coaches have been in two of the past ten NC games? It seems confusing to recruit for one style, then change it up so often.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
Agreed that this sounds like the move of a desperate man. I do think if Texas doesn't win and win big this year, Mack will be given the option of "retiring" or being fired.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
So, he goes from spread to power to up tempo no huddle in a span of a few years. Someone sounds desperate.
Exactly..It takes time & patience to install a new style offense..Takes a couple 2-3 recruiting classes to bring in the right type players to run it..And the right kinda coaches to run it & perfect it..Which Texas doesn't have..Mack needs to concentrate his recruiting towards the D side of the ball & no matter what offense you run..The offense will work itself out with a top tier D backing it up.

It makes sense when every single texas high school player plays in that type of offense.
I agree with ya to an extent..What makes no sense is flip flopping offenses every 2-3yrs..You're setting your football program back unnecessarily..It's like self inflicting yourself with NCAA sanctions..It reeks of desperation..Which will negatively impact every part of the football program..Especially recruiting..That's JMO..

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I thought they changed their offensive philosophy to a more run oriented team when Malcom Brown the rb committed to Tx over Bama.

Bet malcom wishes he could have that one back?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Guess this means the transition back to a smashmouth interior running game didn't work too well, eh? I suppose Texas fans will soon fully learn, if they haven't already, that it is less about what you run and more about how you run it.

As for Malcolm Brown, he hasn't done much in Austin. Some nagging injuries have slowed him, but honestly even when healthy I haven't seen a particularly impressive burst from him. Obviously things can change, but I think after a couple of years of on-field evaluation, it is probably safe to say that he was somewhat overrated as a prep recruit.

And I know a lot of people will say, "Well, he should have signed with Alabama." That may be, and he would certainly be running behind a much better offensive line with the assistance of a more threatening passing attack, but he would not have seen meaningful playing time in Tuscaloosa by this juncture. If he can't beat out Joe Bergeron and Johnathon Gray for playing time in Austin, he wasn't beating out Richardson, Lacy, and Yeldon in Tuscaloosa.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's exactly the same song and dance AU's going through, and, in both cases, we're to blame... :D
Texas is trying to keep up with A&M and they are changing philosophies. This is exactly what got Chiznik fired (going pro-style offense and defense to keep up with their in-state rival) and sent the Barn to their first ever no win SEC season. We are seeing the end of Mack Brown IMO.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
We are seeing the end of Mack Brown IMO.
You are right, this is probably his last opportunity to salvage his career at Texas. A&M has certainly put at least a nail in his coffin with their success last year but the thing is, they are out of their conference now and since they don't play, public perception is fueling the rivalry now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I agree 100% with both y'all..The Aggies are in Mack's & the SmallHorns heads since moving to the SEC..Especially after beating Bama as well..That had to chap their backsides in a major way..

Texas is trying to keep up with A&M and they are changing philosophies. This is exactly what got Chiznik fired (going pro-style offense and defense to keep up with their in-state rival) and sent the Barn to their first ever no win SEC season. We are seeing the end of Mack Brown IMO.
You are right, this is probably his last opportunity to salvage his career at Texas. A&M has certainly put at least a nail in his coffin with their success last year but the thing is, they are out of their conference now and since they don't play, public perception is fueling the rivalry now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with both y'all as well..Flip-flopping so soon after promising the last couple offensive recruiting classes that bought into the new power style offense is "Bush League" kinda stuff & will catch up to Mack with future recruits..Hope they enjoy stay at mediocrity..

Guess this means the transition back to a smashmouth interior running game didn't work too well, eh? I suppose Texas fans will soon fully learn, if they haven't already, that it is less about what you run and more about how you run it.

As for Malcolm Brown, he hasn't done much in Austin. Some nagging injuries have slowed him, but honestly even when healthy I haven't seen a particularly impressive burst from him. Obviously things can change, but I think after a couple of years of on-field evaluation, it is probably safe to say that he was somewhat overrated as a prep recruit.

And I know a lot of people will say, "Well, he should have signed with Alabama." That may be, and he would certainly be running behind a much better offensive line with the assistance of a more threatening passing attack, but he would not have seen meaningful playing time in Tuscaloosa by this juncture. If he can't beat out Joe Bergeron and Johnathon Gray for playing time in Austin, he wasn't beating out Richardson, Lacy, and Yeldon in Tuscaloosa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.