Welfare is the reason the country is in debt.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Yesterday I was talking to a girl who works for the same company as me. Her husband just got out of prison. Hes been there the last 8 months. He is a big time loser who hasnt worked in 10 years. All he does is sit at home smoking weed and playing video games. He went to jail for stealing a gun from her dad.

We got into a conversation about all the "assistance" she gets from the government. I started added these figures up in my head and I was alarmed to say the least.

She has 3 kids from 3 different guys. Those guys pay next to nothing in child support. A total of 6552 a year. She makes 26500 a year from working. Of that amount she pays 0 taxes. In fact she gets a net "refund" of 6600 from the irs. The government pays 18,720 a year for her kids to be in day care!! She gets 4800 a year in food stamps. She gets free health care for her entire family, which I estimated to be worth 8,840 a year. She gets 800 per year to help with her heating bills. She recieved 7500 in grants for taking online classes this past year.

Thats 80,310 per year that she netted AFTER TAXES! A normal hard working american would have to make over 140k to bring home over 80. And Im being generous.. its probably over 150k.

NOw for all you bleeding hearts out there who think we should be doing these transfer payments..... Why in the world do we need to be subsidizing her income to increase it from 26500 up to 150k??? What incentive does she have to improve herself and make more money?? Why on earth would her loser husband do anything other than sit at home and smoke weed?

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A co-worker in my office just got let go in early January.
We had a farewell luncheon last week.
When asked how she was doing, she said she is enjoying unemployment. She has no intention of seeking employment (beyond the pro forma job apps to keep unemployment checks coming). She plans on riding unemployment "for a year or two."
One of my co-workers told me about his unemployed brother. The brother had been unemployed for years, and, when benefits were about to expire, he told my co-worker "Now I have to go get a job." When Congress extended unemployment benefits, he told my co-worker, "Great. Now I don't have to get a job for another year."

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Is she hawt?

Unemployment benes arent but like $100 a week or something, right? Or am I wrong about that?
Depends on where you live, married, children etc. I know from experience it is not enough to live on. I was miserable on it. I hated every second of it. sitting at home doing nothing gets real old real fast (at least for me it did).

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Reason I ask is my wife is currently unemployed. I told her might as well get the bene, not like you haven't paid enough into the system. When she looked, I believe the bene was $100 or 140 a week. We said forget it. Not worth the hoops to jump through for that.

Just cook some more meth. ;)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It does depend on how much you make, but there is a ceiling.

I am the same as most of you. Job before this one I was laid off at least once a year every year for four years. Hated the unemployment, food stamp dance. Having kids we received a lot of benefits, at least in the food stamp department, but the unemployment checks weren't exactly making us rich. I hated the feeling of worthlessness during those times. That's when I started looking around and haven't looked back ever since.

As to the OP, some people actually need assistance. The programs don't need to stop, they need to be audited. Far more strict guidelines need to be in place. IMO you should be subject to drug tests, inspection of government provided housing, and more strict guidelines on purchases of food with the EBT. As taxpayers we are investing in other Americans to improve themselves and I feel we have the right to know how that money is being spent.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
Yesterday I was talking to a girl who works for the same company as me. Her husband just got out of prison. Hes been there the last 8 months. He is a big time loser who hasnt worked in 10 years. All he does is sit at home smoking weed and playing video games. He went to jail for stealing a gun from her dad.

We got into a conversation about all the "assistance" she gets from the government. I started added these figures up in my head and I was alarmed to say the least.

She has 3 kids from 3 different guys. Those guys pay next to nothing in child support. A total of 6552 a year. She makes 26500 a year from working. Of that amount she pays 0 taxes. In fact she gets a net "refund" of 6600 from the irs. The government pays 18,720 a year for her kids to be in day care!! She gets 4800 a year in food stamps. She gets free health care for her entire family, which I estimmated to be worth 8,840 a year. She gets 800 per year to help with her heating bills. She recieved 7500 in grants for taking online classes this past year.

Thats 80,310 per year that she netted AFTER TAXES! A normal hard working american would have to make over 140k to bring home over 80. And Im being generous.. its probably over 150k.

NOw for all you bleeding hearts out there who think we should be doing these transfer payments..... Why in the world do we need to be subsidizing her income to increase it from 26500 up to 150k??? What incentive does she have to improve herself and make more money?? Why on earth would her loser husband do anything other than sit at home and smoke weed?
Obviously she is not very good with money if she is getting a tax refund of that size. Why would you want to give the Treasury an interest free loan of $6600 ? Although I'd guess she probably doesn't see it that way. Probably thinks its a bonus from the gubment.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
As to the OP, some people actually need assistance. The programs don't need to stop, they need to be audited. Far more strict guidelines need to be in place. IMO you should be subject to drug tests, inspection of government provided housing, and more strict guidelines on purchases of food with the EBT. As taxpayers we are investing in other Americans to improve themselves and I feel we have the right to know how that money is being spent.
Did you read it at all??? We arent investing in people to better themselves. We are incentivizing them to stay right where they are.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Obviously she is not very good with money if she is getting a tax refund of that size. Why would you want to give the Treasury an interest free loan of $6600 ? Although I'd guess she probably doesn't see it that way. Probably thinks its a bonus from the gubment.

YOure missing it completely... She paid in aropund 5k for the year... SHe got back over 11000! 6600 is the amount of welfare that was transfered from you and I to her. That includes all the taxes she had deducted from her check.. Social security, fica or whatever.. evertything that was deducted from her check

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Did you read it at all??? We arent investing in people to better themselves. We are incentivizing them to stay right where they are.
I read it. All I'm saying is that not all cases are like that. My mother had rheumatoid arthritis, was diabetic, and had an oxygen tank because a bad bout of pneumonia weakened her lungs. She wanted to work, but couldn't. Her prescriptions were in the thousands each month, after insurance. Her request for disability was denied initially. Some people need that money, I was just cautioning against a large blanket of "everyone on assistance is cheating the system."

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
YOure missing it completely... She paid in aropund 5k for the year... SHe got back over 11000! 6600 is the amount of welfare that was transfered from you and I to her. That includes all the taxes she had deducted from her check.. Social security, fica or whatever.. evertything that was deducted from her check
No, I get it, just being sarcastic. Why have anything withheld? Calculating what should be withheld from her check for Social Security/Medicare/Unemployment should be under $3000. Anything above that and she is hurting cash flow and should adjust her W-4 accordingly.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The programs don't need to stop, they need to be audited. Far more strict guidelines need to be in place.
^^^This^^^ I have witnesses more than a few people doing such frivolous things as taking trips and hanging out in bars and night clubs while being on unemployment. And then, they have the gall to defend those actions. "Times are tough, there is nothing I can do about that". "What am I supposed to do, just put my whole life on hold and not have any fun whatsoever until I find work again?". "After all, it's not my fault". "Do you think I just up and quit?" "They fired me". My answer to that last one is always "YES, you do have to put your life on hold, regardless of whether or not being out of work is your fault." So, I say keep the programs, but revamp them.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
^^^This^^^ I have witnesses more than a few people doing such frivolous things as taking trips and hanging out in bars and night clubs while being on unemployment. And then, they have the gall to defend those actions. "Times are tough, there is nothing I can do about that". "What am I supposed to do, just put my whole life on hold and not have any fun whatsoever until I find work again?". "After all, it's not my fault". "Do you think I just up and quit?" "They fired me". My answer to that last one is always "YES, you do have to put your life on hold, regardless of whether or not being out of work is your fault." So, I say keep the programs, but revamp them.
I think the real poverty is the moral poverty of allowing the governments to point a gun at one's neighbor's head to get the money these folks spend on frivolities like evenings at the bar or a week at Myrtle Beach. That is a truly sad form of poverty in my book.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I had $0 federal income taxes taken out of my check this year, that's right $0 (because I claim 9 exemptions on my W4) but, I got a tax refund of $5,075! I have 3 kids and my wife is a stay at home mom, EIC and child tax credits are a great thing! Do I think it is fair that this is how the tax laws are setup; no, not completely but, I'm going to take advantage of it until they change those laws. I'm not ashamed to admit any of this, I'm not doing anything illegal and I'm not going to tell the IRS to keep the refund out of the goodness of my heart.

Of course, I'm just talking about tax refund; we don't get food stamps or welfare or any other gov. assistance programs... don't need it. I love getting my tax refund though, it pays to have kids during refund season. Of course, they bleed us dry the rest of the year.

On a side note, has anyone else e-filed there taxes already. I got my refund direct deposited into my account exactly 1 week after I submitted them online. Never had it happen so fast, normally takes about 3 weeks.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
A co-worker in my office just got let go in early January.
We had a farewell luncheon last week.
When asked how she was doing, she said she is enjoying unemployment. She has no intention of seeking employment (beyond the pro forma job apps to keep unemployment checks coming). She plans on riding unemployment "for a year or two."
One of my co-workers told me about his unemployed brother. The brother had been unemployed for years, and, when benefits were about to expire, he told my co-worker "Now I have to go get a job." When Congress extended unemployment benefits, he told my co-worker, "Great. Now I don't have to get a job for another year."
I am recalling this from memory. In 2010 my company restructured and I chose not to relocate to The North Pole (Minneapolis). NC unemployment was $435 and I believe the feds kicked in an extra $100 - at the time unemployment in NC was around 10%. So I was getting $535 for the entire two weeks I received benefits.

I had someone offer me a full time job making $800 per week until I found something else. After taxes I figured I would have been bringing home roughly $640 per week. I would have been making close to that ($535) doing nothing. The pig-at-the-trough in me figured why would I want to tie myself up in a 45 hour a week job working nights and weekends, no time off to travel for interviews and in a job that I would start off disliking?

Welfare would have been the better option.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.