Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Recruiting for the spread offense?

Besides the obvious,which I guess, is to recruit a mobile QB who can also pass, what other changes,if any, would we see in Bama's recruiting of players if Saban decided to go to the spread,hurry-up offense? I know we recruit large,powerful players who are also fast but would we sacrifice some of the size and strength for more quickness at some of the positions? Another question, are there teams using the pro-set but play the hurry- up ,no huddle offense?

2. Advertisement

Re: Recruiting for the spread offense?

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Besides the obvious,which I guess, is to recruit a mobile QB who can also pass, what other changes,if any, would we see in Bama's recruiting of players if Saban decided to go to the spread,hurry-up offense? I know we recruit large,powerful players who are also fast but would we sacrifice some of the size and strength for more quickness at some of the positions? Another question, are there teams using the pro-set but play the hurry- up ,no huddle offense?
    I'm not sure where this is coming from. Saban has mentioned modifying recruiting on defense to counter the HUNH offenses, but he's never mentioned going more to a spread/HUNH offense than we already have, and I don't see it happening. Unless you have something he's said or a link that says it's a possibility, this is a rabbit we don't need to chase and I'm going to close this...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Oklahoma, if I'm not mistaken, uses a HUNH, but their offense is essentially pro-style.

AJ could run the zone read. You don't have to use it a lot, just have the threat. Also, you can spread without the zone read. It wouldn't suprise me to see Alabama with some four wide sets with the talent on the roster. Generally, teams recruit more WRs.

I think it's just a hypothetical. In no way do I want to go to the spread-option, and I don't think Saban does either. The talk of the HUNH spread-option becoming the way of the future is hype football-intelligent people aren't buying into.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bama ran spread formations in 2012. A noticeable difference in Alabama's recruiting would be the type of OL.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Bama ran spread formations in 2012. A noticeable difference in Alabama's recruiting would be the type of OL.
    And that's not going to happen under Saban. Our whole shtick in recruiting is getting kids ready for the NFL. 250 lb OL just don't make it in the league. That's the reason that I tried to indicate that we don't need to set up straw men just to have something to discuss...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

The exact same type players you would recruit for the single wing.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just a simple question.
    Did our 'Old Fashioned Big Boy Football' fail in some way? Don't think so.
    Do Running back recruits want to play in the spread? NO.

Do Pro teams want to draft spread team guys, or guys who play their kind of football?
    Look at the rosters of the Pro teams, big uglies on both sides of the ball. I think our type Offense is where the Pro Teams look for players. That's what we recruit.

I know highschool teams and a lot of colleges play spread, but it doesn't dwell on the basics of hard nosed football.
    Spread teams do really well playing spread teams, but, they seem lost when it comes to a situation where they really do need to run the ball, where they need to control the ball and run out the clock.

IMHO: Coach Saban runs the Offense he does, because it wins games.
    Coach Saban runs the Defense he does, because it wins games.
    THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; February 22nd, 2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: format

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    And that's not going to happen under Saban. Our whole shtick in recruiting is getting kids ready for the NFL. 250 lb OL just don't make it in the league. That's the reason that I tried to indicate that we don't need to set up straw men just to have something to discuss...
    I agree. Offensively we are not going to change. We will always hit you in the mouth with the power running game with big, fast and athletic players with play action passing. He has said he is going to tweak a little on defense to counter the no huddle spread offenses with a little smaller, faster player in certain situations.

Do Pro teams want to draft spread team guys, or guys who play their kind of football?
    Look at the rosters of the Pro teams, big uglies on both sides of the ball. I think our type Offense is where the Pro Teams look for players. That's what we recruit.

I know highschool teams and a lot of colleges play spread, but it doesn't dwell on the basics of hard nosed football.
    Spread teams do really well playing spread teams, but, they seem lost when it comes to a situation where they really do need to run the ball, where they need to control the ball and run out the clock.

IMHO: Coach Saban runs the Offense he does, because it wins games.
    Coach Saban runs the Defense he does, because it wins games.
    THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME.[/QUOTE]

Only Baylor joins Alabama in producing multiple first round picks the past two drafts. The NFL evaluates players from all types of offenses and schools.

Suspended

When y'all talk about how we just play "old fashioned football" you're partially off the mark. Now it's true that we run the ball and we run it well. I'm glad for this and I trust it will always be so under CNS. But our passing game under CJM and CDN is very, very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas - a version of the old single-back formation invented by Jack Elway, Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and John L Smith. We run an offense that is predicated on run first and foremost, but our passing game is very, very similar to what was run at Louisville and Arkansas. Indeed, the argument can be made that we exist on a different branch but the same tree as Kevin Sumlin at A&M.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    When y'all talk about how we just play "old fashioned football" you're partially off the mark. Now it's true that we run the ball and we run it well. I'm glad for this and I trust it will always be so under CNS. But our passing game under CJM and CDN is very, very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas - a version of the old single-back formation invented by Jack Elway, Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and John L Smith. We run an offense that is predicated on run first and foremost, but our passing game is very, very similar to what was run at Louisville and Arkansas. Indeed, the argument can be made that we exist on a different branch but the same tree as Kevin Sumlin at A&M.
    I think you're stretching it for a discussion. Yes, we run a one-back offense, mostly, but we were running mostly two backs until Fowler got hurt. Also, I think Saban will be twisting in his grave when we start running read-option with our QBs. Also, our OL will continue to be stocked with 300 lb+ bruisers who can knock guys with a first name like Manti silly. Price had six running plays. SIX! When Darby went in to question it, Price's answer was "That's all we'll need." IOW, running plays were just a decoy for passing. I think you're way out on a limb here...