Question: Recruiting for the spread offense?

beowulf

Nov 12, 2012
Besides the obvious,which I guess, is to recruit a mobile QB who can also pass, what other changes,if any, would we see in Bama's recruiting of players if Saban decided to go to the spread,hurry-up offense? I know we recruit large,powerful players who are also fast but would we sacrifice some of the size and strength for more quickness at some of the positions? Another question, are there teams using the pro-set but play the hurry- up ,no huddle offense?:confused:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Besides the obvious,which I guess, is to recruit a mobile QB who can also pass, what other changes,if any, would we see in Bama's recruiting of players if Saban decided to go to the spread,hurry-up offense? I know we recruit large,powerful players who are also fast but would we sacrifice some of the size and strength for more quickness at some of the positions? Another question, are there teams using the pro-set but play the hurry- up ,no huddle offense?:confused:
I'm not sure where this is coming from. Saban has mentioned modifying recruiting on defense to counter the HUNH offenses, but he's never mentioned going more to a spread/HUNH offense than we already have, and I don't see it happening. Unless you have something he's said or a link that says it's a possibility, this is a rabbit we don't need to chase and I'm going to close this...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
AJ could run the zone read. You don't have to use it a lot, just have the threat. Also, you can spread without the zone read. It wouldn't suprise me to see Alabama with some four wide sets with the talent on the roster. Generally, teams recruit more WRs.

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
I think it's just a hypothetical. In no way do I want to go to the spread-option, and I don't think Saban does either. The talk of the HUNH spread-option becoming the way of the future is hype football-intelligent people aren't buying into.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bama ran spread formations in 2012. A noticeable difference in Alabama's recruiting would be the type of OL.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bama ran spread formations in 2012. A noticeable difference in Alabama's recruiting would be the type of OL.
And that's not going to happen under Saban. Our whole shtick in recruiting is getting kids ready for the NFL. 250 lb OL just don't make it in the league. That's the reason that I tried to indicate that we don't need to set up straw men just to have something to discuss...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Just a simple question.
Did our 'Old Fashioned Big Boy Football' fail in some way? Don't think so.
Do Running back recruits want to play in the spread? NO.

Do Pro teams want to draft spread team guys, or guys who play their kind of football?
Look at the rosters of the Pro teams, big uglies on both sides of the ball. I think our type Offense is where the Pro Teams look for players. That's what we recruit.

I know highschool teams and a lot of colleges play spread, but it doesn't dwell on the basics of hard nosed football.
Spread teams do really well playing spread teams, but, they seem lost when it comes to a situation where they really do need to run the ball, where they need to control the ball and run out the clock.

IMHO: Coach Saban runs the Offense he does, because it wins games.
Coach Saban runs the Defense he does, because it wins games.
THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And that's not going to happen under Saban. Our whole shtick in recruiting is getting kids ready for the NFL. 250 lb OL just don't make it in the league. That's the reason that I tried to indicate that we don't need to set up straw men just to have something to discuss...
I agree. Offensively we are not going to change. We will always hit you in the mouth with the power running game with big, fast and athletic players with play action passing. He has said he is going to tweak a little on defense to counter the no huddle spread offenses with a little smaller, faster player in certain situations.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Do Pro teams want to draft spread team guys, or guys who play their kind of football?
Look at the rosters of the Pro teams, big uglies on both sides of the ball. I think our type Offense is where the Pro Teams look for players. That's what we recruit.

I know highschool teams and a lot of colleges play spread, but it doesn't dwell on the basics of hard nosed football.
Spread teams do really well playing spread teams, but, they seem lost when it comes to a situation where they really do need to run the ball, where they need to control the ball and run out the clock.

IMHO: Coach Saban runs the Offense he does, because it wins games.
Coach Saban runs the Defense he does, because it wins games.
THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME.[/QUOTE]

Only Baylor joins Alabama in producing multiple first round picks the past two drafts. The NFL evaluates players from all types of offenses and schools.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
When y'all talk about how we just play "old fashioned football" you're partially off the mark. Now it's true that we run the ball and we run it well. I'm glad for this and I trust it will always be so under CNS. But our passing game under CJM and CDN is very, very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas - a version of the old single-back formation invented by Jack Elway, Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and John L Smith. We run an offense that is predicated on run first and foremost, but our passing game is very, very similar to what was run at Louisville and Arkansas. Indeed, the argument can be made that we exist on a different branch but the same tree as Kevin Sumlin at A&M.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When y'all talk about how we just play "old fashioned football" you're partially off the mark. Now it's true that we run the ball and we run it well. I'm glad for this and I trust it will always be so under CNS. But our passing game under CJM and CDN is very, very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas - a version of the old single-back formation invented by Jack Elway, Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and John L Smith. We run an offense that is predicated on run first and foremost, but our passing game is very, very similar to what was run at Louisville and Arkansas. Indeed, the argument can be made that we exist on a different branch but the same tree as Kevin Sumlin at A&M.
I think you're stretching it for a discussion. :) Yes, we run a one-back offense, mostly, but we were running mostly two backs until Fowler got hurt. Also, I think Saban will be twisting in his grave when we start running read-option with our QBs. Also, our OL will continue to be stocked with 300 lb+ bruisers who can knock guys with a first name like Manti silly. Price had six running plays. SIX! When Darby went in to question it, Price's answer was "That's all we'll need." IOW, running plays were just a decoy for passing. I think you're way out on a limb here... ;)

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think you're stretching it for a discussion. :) Yes, we run a one-back offense, mostly, but we were running mostly two backs until Fowler got hurt. Also, I think Saban will be twisting in his grave when we start running read-option with our QBs. Also, our OL will continue to be stocked with 300 lb+ bruisers who can knock guys with a first name like Manti silly. Price had six running plays. SIX! When Darby went in to question it, Price's answer was "That's all we'll need." IOW, running plays were just a decoy for passing. I think you're way out on a limb here... ;)
Ha! You got me - it's a bit of a stretch on my part.

My inner historian - failure though he may be - is trying desperately to connect some dots. I think our passing game is part of that classification, but that's about it. You're right, though.

What I find neat is how diverse our offense really is - ironic that NFL guy Mike Shula ran such a vanilla offense but Saban like his mentor in New England will pound the rock while running a pretty inventive passing game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

My inner historian - failure though he may be - is trying desperately to connect some dots. I think our passing game is part of that classification, but that's about it. You're right, though.

What I find neat is how diverse our offense really is - ironic that NFL guy Mike Shula ran such a vanilla offense but Saban like his mentor in New England will pound the rock while running a pretty inventive passing game.
I agree our offense was diverse and very, very good. I just don't think our passing game was that inventive however. The effectiveness of our running game sets up the play action. I think the routes are nothing out of the ordinary but when AJ is on and with the talent we have at WR who are wide open in many cases it seems inventive. It is beautiful to watch when the running and passing game are working at the same time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

The thing that interests me is that Stallings complaints with Homer (RIP) was not enough downfield passing. That was also Saban's complaint until we got CJM. I think he's happy though with Nussmeier...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Our offense isn't changing.ball control is Bama's thing. Our HUNH works but when you're up 21-0, 28-0 there's really no need. Sometimes though we could utilize it in certain situations because I don't see Saban changing recruiting needs for it.
Yes, and I don't think even most of our fans give the Offense the credit the deserve. Last years team was as comfortable with the hurry up & passing as it was Pounding with the run like against GA. I don't think Nuss is going be be box in by any one scheme but adapt to what the are facing. As for recruiting, well they just seem to attract the best athletes, so adjustments are seamless.

Being know for defense the offense has really moved up.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
...or it means that Sims will be in the game. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.