Question: Recruiting for the spread offense?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The beauty of Alabama's offense right now is how multiple it is with the same personnel on the field. You can run so many different plays out of the same formations with the same personnel on the field. And, when necessary, you can go "hurry-up" (though Saban only seems to want to do this when forced, like at the end of halves).

He knows how to coach this well - how to prepare players for it - how to recruit for it. Not sure why he would change unless he is forced to do so. Let other coaches do what they do well. Saban will remain Saban.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I don't see Bama ever going to a sissy offense like the spread option. While flashy, almost invariably, teams that run it go into a game where you're at a critical juncture and you need one yard for either a TD or first down and you simply aren't tough enough to get that one yard.

It's just not an Alabama/Nick Saban offense. Too wimpy.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
The spread is nice for teams that need an equalizer due to an overall lack of talent. Even good teams can win when they get the right combination of players. However, you can't maintain overall consistency with the spread and you can't consistently pick up short yardage situations when you really need it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Besides the obvious,which I guess, is to recruit a mobile QB who can also pass, what other changes,if any, would we see in Bama's recruiting of players if Saban decided to go to the spread,hurry-up offense? I know we recruit large,powerful players who are also fast but would we sacrifice some of the size and strength for more quickness at some of the positions? Another question, are there teams using the pro-set but play the hurry- up ,no huddle offense?:confused:
we averaged 38.7 points a game (12th in the nation according to espn). why would we change our offense?

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm in the camp of those who would want a mobile qb but here's the catch - all that means is a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck who can move the ball and requires defenses to account for it.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The spread is nice for teams that need an equalizer due to an overall lack of talent. Even good teams can win when they get the right combination of players. However, you can't maintain overall consistency with the spread and you can't consistently pick up short yardage situations when you really need it.
I guess Cam and Tebow couldn't pick up that yard?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Baylor is right there with Oregon in being spread happy. In the Holiday Bowl vs UCLA, Baylor passing 13 times and rushed 67 times for 306 yards. This just shows the offense can be about anything you want it to be.
Should Alabama change the base offense? No way. But think of a defense facing three wide, then have Hart come in motion out of the backfield. No TE and still have Yeldon as a RB. Who are you going to cover? If the O line plays well, defenses don't stand a chance.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
When y'all talk about how we just play "old fashioned football" you're partially off the mark. Now it's true that we run the ball and we run it well. I'm glad for this and I trust it will always be so under CNS. But our passing game under CJM and CDN is very, very similar to what Petrino ran at Arkansas - a version of the old single-back formation invented by Jack Elway, Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and John L Smith. We run an offense that is predicated on run first and foremost, but our passing game is very, very similar to what was run at Louisville and Arkansas. Indeed, the argument can be made that we exist on a different branch but the same tree as Kevin Sumlin at A&M.
What? I don't follow???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We don't need change! Didn't stallings one time say if you listen to the fans YOU ONE DAY WILL BE SITTING WITH THEM !
Exactly..Bama Football has always been about having a strong D..That's backed up by having a strong running game..It's the perfect combination..Each other perfectly compliments the other..By winning the LOS on both sides of the ball..It wears the competition down as the game goes on..It's a combination that strikes fear in those we play when we're clicking on all cylinders..

The perfect example of that..Is when The Irish were watching our Players leaving the tunnel in the NC Game..The game was over then..They knew what was coming & there wasn't a dang they could do about it..That my friends..Is Crimson Tide Football..And has been our MO that' established us as the best Football Program college football has ever offered..No need in changing that now..

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Exactly..Bama Football has always been about having a strong D that's backed up by having a strong running game..It's the perfect combination..Each other perfectly compliments the other..By winning the LOS on both sides of the ball..It wears the competition down as the game goes on..It's a combination that strikes fear in those we play when we're clicking on all cylinders..

The perfect example of that is when The Irish were watching our Players leaving the tunnel in the NC Game..The game was over then.They knew what was coming & there wasn't a dang they could do about it..That my friends..Is Crimson Tide Football..And has been our MO that' established us as the best Football Program college football has ever offered..No need in changing that now..

I love watching that clip and their dragging their butts out dispiritedly...

beowulf

Nov 12, 2012
I haven't heard anything about Bama going to the spread.This is just a hypothetical question which occurred to me while watching an NFL show and one of their analysts talking about more NFL teams seemed to be going to the mobile QB. I don't see that it's chasing any rabbit.To me,one thing worrisome about this site is the flack you get if you don't adhere strictly to the"company line". Maybe a little freedom of thought is in order.You know, you can take the "don't rock the boat" policy to extremes.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Our offense is as productive, if not significantly more productive, than it has ever been.

This past season, our offense was one of the most, if not the most, efficient scoring offenses in the country.

This past season, our offense was one of the most, if not the most, balanced offenses in the country.

Factoring in points per game, time of possession, scoring drive percentage, yards per play (overall, passing, and rushing), passing efficiency rating, and scoring efficiency (plays per 7 points) , our offense significantly out-performed every other offense in the country. Only Oregon, Baylor, Kansas State, and La Tech were even in the same zip code.

Why would any sane person want to change much of anything about our offense?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Some famous coach once said, " The same thing(s) win, that always won... And we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.

(he was modestly successful)

I think it applies here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some famous coach once said, " The same thing(s) win, that always won... And we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.

I think it applies here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
How does Coach Bryant's quote apply to a question about the difference in recruiting for a spread offense?

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Can you envision him running a finesse style of offense, predicated on getting smaller, quick athletes matched up one on one in space? It goes more towards style and mentality, ie I am going to run the ball down your throat and there isn't a dang thing you can do about it. Run the ball, stop the run. All the cliche's you can think of, but still apply. Like he said, (paraphrasing) you do not have to reinvent the wheel to win at football. There is a reason why "throw back teams" are kinda dominating right now.

ETA: Spread v. Old School as far as recruiting is night and day from my understanding. Smaller linemen, mobile QB, etc. Usually takes 2-3 recruiting cycles to go from one to another they are so different.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.