Just for some thinking on this subject lets look at a few things going on.
1. I saw where the Mountain West Conference is calling for a new head of the NCAA. I see different motives than those they are expressing.
2. Butch Jones at UTenn is saying the new recruiting changes need to be reconsidered. He is saying this at a time when UT is short of cash and may not be able to stay in the arms race with UA, UF, LSU, among others. Did Hart tell him he does not have the money to hire a recruiting staff right now?
3. The Miami enforcement issue is creating a great deal of angst about the leadership of the NCAA.
4. There is continued pressure to compensate college players.
5. The president (not Emmett the other one) can not regulate every thing else for enough satisfaction and he wants to regulate college football thru playoffs and helmet contact rules. I soon expect him to speak out on the leadership of the NCAA I expect Ms. Donna Shalalala has already made the call.
6. Conferences continue to "realign" for bigger TV contracts.
7. The Big<12 has delayed their request for a league playoff for a league with less than 12 teams.
I say a storm is brewing. I can't predict what type of storm it is but I can not see 100+ football teams in the same division much longer. The teams that make the super conferences will be the only survivors. Texas will be in the league with the big survivors. CMB may not be there but Texas will. Finally, hang on for the storm I believe it will be a big one.