Mack Brown: Alabama 'Ahead of All of Us' in Preparing for NCAA Deregulation

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

"Alabama is ahead of all of us with the number of personnel they've hired, and that's something that everybody's looking very closely at," Brown said in a press conference Thursday.

Brown said the Longhorns have posted a position for a director of player personnel that would oversee recruiting. Alabama hired former defensive coordinator Kevin Steele as its director of player personnel earlier this month, and also hired former Vigor High coach Kerry Stevenson as director of player development.

With all their money, and LHN, they still need to whine, and make excuses.
The full statement from Brown:

I can't blame Alabama for doing what they needed to do to be successful. And the thing you've got to look at if you're looking at college football is, can everybody do that and is that fair. And it's fair for Alabama because they have made it work for them, so I would not be critical of them at all. What I think, the patterns I see in my past in this job, is when there were strength coaches that were doing the same thing and everybody had ten strength coaches and they had everyone for that position. The NCAA realized it, and they cut them to five. I think what we'll see in a year is that the analyst/quality control positions will be cut to a certain number. I think that we will see that the positions that you have across the board will be cut. So you'll have nine assistant coaches and the head coach. Right now, we are restricted to four graduate assistants. There is no restriction on quality control. I think that you'll see a restriction coming. I'm sure that will be by the presidents and the athletic directors. I personally would elect to see the quality control guys be able to coach, because if they are coaches, it's hard to monitor who is and who is not, so let them coach, and I would like to see that. And then I think you'll see that they will have a number of 20 or less that can work with football. In general, I think you'll let them see all those guys recruit, but I don't think that we will have unlimited numbers this time next year.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I really don't bear any ill toward TX for the LHN. I wish we had the same. Not just TX but most teams are trying to figure out what Bama is doing.

No short cuts, stick to basics/fundamentals, the right kind of kids recruited, and really smart coaching from preparation.

They are looking for that magic bullet but it really is a complex jigsaw puzzle & when one piece is missing it don't look right.

Most know I'm not a fan of the revenue sharing or the SEC as a whole, but it is what it is.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
The press release went out to everybody at the same time. Are we to believe CNS was the only one to act upon it making him that much smarter than the entire football coaching world? Maybe Mac is hoping to develop Obama-ball type coaching strategies for lazy coaches.

GA Bamafan

1st Team
Oct 24, 2004
Pell City, AL
Just for some thinking on this subject lets look at a few things going on.

1. I saw where the Mountain West Conference is calling for a new head of the NCAA. I see different motives than those they are expressing.
2. Butch Jones at UTenn is saying the new recruiting changes need to be reconsidered. He is saying this at a time when UT is short of cash and may not be able to stay in the arms race with UA, UF, LSU, among others. Did Hart tell him he does not have the money to hire a recruiting staff right now?
3. The Miami enforcement issue is creating a great deal of angst about the leadership of the NCAA.
4. There is continued pressure to compensate college players.
5. The president (not Emmett the other one) can not regulate every thing else for enough satisfaction and he wants to regulate college football thru playoffs and helmet contact rules. I soon expect him to speak out on the leadership of the NCAA I expect Ms. Donna Shalalala has already made the call.
6. Conferences continue to "realign" for bigger TV contracts.
7. The Big<12 has delayed their request for a league playoff for a league with less than 12 teams.

I say a storm is brewing. I can't predict what type of storm it is but I can not see 100+ football teams in the same division much longer. The teams that make the super conferences will be the only survivors. Texas will be in the league with the big survivors. CMB may not be there but Texas will. Finally, hang on for the storm I believe it will be a big one.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
The press release went out to everybody at the same time. Are we to believe CNS was the only one to act upon it making him that much smarter than the entire football coaching world? Maybe Mac is hoping to develop Obama-ball type coaching strategies for lazy coaches.
Even AuburnSports.com did a piece on how behind everyone is.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
It's been a little over 3 years since we beat them and they still haven't recovered/are crying and whining. Impressive indeed....maybe we need a "beat a dead cow" emoticon :beatdeadhorse5:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.