Early NFL Combine Results

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I could do at least 8 reps of 225 as a jr in high school. I wasn't that big either. How can a college athlete not do at least 10 reps? Pathetic.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I could do at least 8 reps of 225 as a jr in high school. I wasn't that big either. How can a college athlete not do at least 10 reps? Pathetic.
Probably because he didn't do any bench work before going to the combine. For most lifters that train hard and are close to 200 lbs, 225 is usually the first working set after that standard 135 first warmup set. The progression after that may vary but like you said, 225 should be pretty easy to get 10-12 reps at that weight. The thing with the combine bench is it's not strict at all. You can bounch the bar off your chest as much as you want because the key is to keep it moving for a lock out on every rep. You see guys struggle when they start pausing at the top.

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
It's also because football players are trained for explosive 5 second bursts of energy. That's probably slightly longer than the average play lasts.
So, while they have lots of strength and power, they don't have any endurance.

So, I'm guessing that at the bench, they have no problem with the first few reps, but they tire out quickly after that. Some people, are ridiculously strong and big, so they don't tire out fast because 225 simply isn't a big deal compared to their body weight/strength (DJ Fluker, Jesse Williams, etc). Some people naturally have some endurance and can do a good amount of weight.

But, for someone like Mathieu, who weighs less than 200 pounds, I bet, I'd guess that 225 is a lot of weight. His strength can carry him in the first few reps, but then he dies very quickly after that.

My thoughts.

I don't know much about the combine... why is a 4.35 vs a 4.45 such a big deal? I mean, it's without pads and is .1 seconds that important? How often do plays even go 4.35 seconds? And the CB gets a 5 yard cushion anyway. I just feel that it's not that important of a measurement. And I'd love someone to explain this to me, since I am clueless and am obviously missing something.I don't see the big deal in a straight line speed test.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I usually start my day with 50-60 250lb reps before a brisk 25 mile jog/sprint. I like to end my workout with 3,000 situps and 1,500 pull ups and maybe 600 or so push ups. Usually 300 per hand. Of course I'm not as young (55) as I once was.

What's up with kids these days? Bunch of pansies, that's what.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
And the CB gets a 5 yard cushion anyway. I just feel that it's not that important of a measurement. And I'd love someone to explain this to me, since I am clueless and am obviously missing something.I don't see the big deal in a straight line speed test.
The 40 is as much a test of acceleration as it is a test of speed. At WR and CB, acceleration is really as important, if not more important, than speed.
But, the 40 is long enough to make speed matter. The 20m is strictly acceleration. The 100m is more a test of speed. The 40 really measures both. That way, it is a generic test of speed and acceleration for all players.

So, the .1 seconds doesn't matter, but having a two-step lead does, if that makes sense. The two-step lead is often gained by accelerating quickly, not just by "being fast."

That's always been my take.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I usually start my day with 50-60 250lb reps before a brisk 25 mile jog/sprint. I like to end my workout with 3,000 situps and 1,500 pull ups and maybe 600 or so push ups. Usually 300 per hand. Of course I'm not as young (55) as I once was.

What's up with kids these days? Bunch of pansies, that's what.
but how far could you run when there wasnt 4 feet of snow on the ground?

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
The 40 is as much a test of acceleration as it is a test of speed. At WR and CB, acceleration is really as important, if not more important, than speed.
But, the 40 is long enough to make speed matter. The 20m is strictly acceleration. The 100m is more a test of speed. The 40 really measures both. That way, it is a generic test of speed and acceleration for all players.

So, the .1 seconds doesn't matter, but having a two-step lead does, if that makes sense. The two-step lead is often gained by accelerating quickly, not just by "being fast."

That's always been my take.

ooh perfect!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I can't believe the national pundits questioned DM's speed going into the combine all I heard about him coming out of high school was that he had amazing speed.

On a side note if Kareem Jackson is worthy of a first round pick then Milliner should go in the top 5 easily.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
It's also because football players are trained for explosive 5 second bursts of energy. That's probably slightly longer than the average play lasts.
So, while they have lots of strength and power, they don't have any endurance.

So, I'm guessing that at the bench, they have no problem with the first few reps, but they tire out quickly after that. Some people, are ridiculously strong and big, so they don't tire out fast because 225 simply isn't a big deal compared to their body weight/strength (DJ Fluker, Jesse Williams, etc). Some people naturally have some endurance and can do a good amount of weight.

But, for someone like Mathieu, who weighs less than 200 pounds, I bet, I'd guess that 225 is a lot of weight. His strength can carry him in the first few reps, but then he dies very quickly after that.

My thoughts.

I don't know much about the combine... why is a 4.35 vs a 4.45 such a big deal? I mean, it's without pads and is .1 seconds that important? How often do plays even go 4.35 seconds? And the CB gets a 5 yard cushion anyway. I just feel that it's not that important of a measurement. And I'd love someone to explain this to me, since I am clueless and am obviously missing something.I don't see the big deal in a straight line speed test.
IMO, the bench press is not really the greatest gauge of pure upper body strength but I guess it is the most universal lift to compare X vs Y athlete, so it has stuck. I think it is more of a test that answers can a player commit to something. Kids that can throw up alot of reps on the bench obviously have committed themselves to the weight room which in turn means they can commit to an NFL program. As for the smaller guys, there are plenty of dudes walking at 180 or so that train hard and can bench 225 well into the double digits and there are 400 pound slobs that couldn't get an empty bar off their chest. Bottom line, the Honey Badger probably hasn't seen a gym since he left LSU.

The 40 is a big deal because it shows acceleration. There's probably not a huge difference in actual 4.35 and 4.45 speed because anybody in the 4.4 class is crazy fast. Anybody below 4.4 usually gets drafted by the Raiders anyway.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Mark May's comments on Manti Te'o...
May hates Notre Dame and will take any chance to say something that will annoy Holtz. As for a team drafting Teo in the 1st round - he is a risk. Owners don't like to miss on their first rounders.A GM can miss anywhere else in the draft, but miss in the first round and your judgment is questioned.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Tyrann Mathieu hit 4 reps of 225 in the bench press.
That is pathetic. He is supposed to be a World class athlete. I have a friend that is a Green Beret down at Ft. Bragg, and he is 42 years old, about the same size as Matieu. Maybe 190, and he does 16 reps of 300 pounds every day in his daily workout. He is an old man, and not a World class athlete.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
He is a green beret, and being a member of a SF unit, I know most are incredible athletes. In far better shape than most of these football players.

That is pathetic. He is supposed to be a World class athlete. I have a friend that is a Green Beret down at Ft. Bragg, and he is 42 years old, about the same size as Matieu. Maybe 190, and he does 16 reps of 300 pounds every day in his daily workout. He is an old man, and not a World class athlete.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Ouch!

Dang puppies...

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
He added this tweet today...

Plugged iin Bama/ND NC game and off that performance by Manti Teo if he's a 1st rounder then all 5 Bama linemen are top 10 picks
4:56 PM - 27 Feb 13
I saw Cecil retweet that from Mark May too. I am now following May on twitter. I loved Cecil's halftime tweet about the score in last night's bball game too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.