Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Former Heisman winner Billy Cannon suffers stroke

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...talized-021913

Did not see this posted anywhere. One of the all time greats in college football. His Halloween night run against Ole Miss is still one of the epic moments in SEC football history. His life is one of poverty, to national notoriety, to fall from grace, and rising again to being a hero to prison inmates in Louisiana. He was and will always be one of my childhood heroes. Prayers for a complete recovery Billy.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Former Heisman winner Billy Cannon suffers stroke

Prayers answered "yes", J. III.

http://www.kadn.com/news/CLICK

Good report.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

Thanks RMM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Saw him in Coach Bryant's 1st game in 1958 in Mobile. Like Bo and Herschell, he was an amazing blend of strength and speed. Was a sprinter and shot putter for LSU and I believe he was the SEC champ in both one year.

He remains one of the fastest players I've ever seen in uniform to this day and those uni's back then were a lot heavier than today.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Billy is as iconic to LSU as Joe Wille is to our folks. In the minds of their fans, both represent the apex of their respective programs.

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

Little known fact about that 1959 game against Ole Miss; Cannon played both ways. In fact after his run that put LSU ahead 7-3, Ole Miss drove inside the LSU five yard and Cannon was in on a game saving tackle to preserve the win. In his day he was every bit the equal of Herschel and Bo.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    Saw him in Coach Bryant's 1st game in 1958 in Mobile. Like Bo and Herschell, he was an amazing blend of strength and speed. Was a sprinter and shot putter for LSU and I believe he was the SEC champ in both one year.

He remains one of the fastest players I've ever seen in uniform to this day and those uni's back then were a lot heavier than today.
    I was there too. How long did it take you to realize that the end zone stands had collapsed?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I was there too. How long did it take you to realize that the end zone stands had collapsed?
    It took a while, it happened at the half and lots of folks were moving around so it wasn't as obvious as it would normally have been, Even then it took a while to find out exactly what happened.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    It took a while, it happened at the half and lots of folks were moving around so it wasn't as obvious as it would normally have been, Even then it took a while to find out exactly what happened.
    I didn't realize it until all the ambulances started arriving...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

My Mood
    Buzzed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Little known fact about that 1959 game against Ole Miss; Cannon played both ways. In fact after his run that put LSU ahead 7-3, Ole Miss drove inside the LSU five yard and Cannon was in on a game saving tackle to preserve the win. In his day he was every bit the equal of Herschel and Bo.
    Thanks for the post and very sorry to hear this Gray - here's a video which shows both his winning punt return and his game-saving tackle.

Prayers sent.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Of course almost everyone played both ways. LSU was different in that they had a 3rd string which only played defense. Dietzel named them the "Chinese Bandits," and convinced them they could stop anyone. He got a lot of mileage out of what was basically a bunch of scrubs. However, they gave a blow to the 1st and 2nd stringers...

The "Go Team" and the "White Team" were the others, and you are right Earle most everyone back then played both ways.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

White Team consisted of Billy Hendrix, Lynn LeBlanc, Larry Kahlden, Max Fugler, Ed McCreedy, Bo Strange, Mickey Mangham, Warren Rabb, Billy Cannon, Johnny Robinson, and Red Brodnax.

Go Team in the middle, White Team on the bottom. The stuff Tigah dreams are made of.