Former Heisman winner Billy Cannon suffers stroke

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Have to be REALLY old to have been there. Was my first Alabama game. Coach Bryant played at least one game a year in Mobile for a few years. Saw them play Tulane,Mississippi Southern, and NC State when they had Roman Gabriel at quarterback. My father always payed a few more bucks for sideline seats after the LSU game.
I was up in the stands, somewhere around midfield, so I didn't really didn't get a good look. After all the sirens started, I could see them hauling folks off and it was obvious that the stands were damaged and lower. Only a question of time before something even worse happens at Legion Field...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the entire upper deck is gone at Legion Field now. I believe it was condemned a few years ago and they had to take it down. Not that it was ever used by the current tenant.

fjc666

Jul 23, 2010
Mobile
I was up in the stands, somewhere around midfield, so I didn't really didn't get a good look. After all the sirens started, I could see them hauling folks off and it was obvious that the stands were damaged and lower. Only a question of time before something even worse happens at Legion Field...
Showing our age aren,t we!!

fjc666

Jul 23, 2010
Mobile
Mine's not a big secret around here. However, I'm lucky enough to look younger than I am, I'm told. Hope they're telling the truth... :D
I agree you do not look your age nor does your wife. In 1958 it must have taken you about 5 hours to drive to Mobile. Still takes time today and a lot more cars on game day going Hwys 43,5,25,69. A lot of 4 lanes now but still some 2 lanes and the local cops love to see cars from Mobile. Only have one ticket myself in all these years.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'll never forget seeing his Heisman trophy in a display case at TJ Ribs restaurant in Baton Rouge back in '93. I used to travel there in the early '90's every couple of months or so. That was by far my favorite trip as I would fly into NO and drive to Baton Rouge where my employer at the time had a rehab hospital and outpatient facility.

I believe Cannon was sort of duped into his role regarding his conviction on financial crimes or whatever but was considered a model prisoner and performed dental work for the prison during his time there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree you do not look your age nor does your wife. In 1958 it must have taken you about 5 hours to drive to Mobile. Still takes time today and a lot more cars on game day going Hwys 43,5,25,69. A lot of 4 lanes now but still some 2 lanes and the local cops love to see cars from Mobile. Only have one ticket myself in all these years.
Five hours was about right...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.