Manziel Takes Nickname Legal Action

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So, he can't profit from his name while in college but, he can profit from protecting his trademark while in college. Is see a new trend of athletes trademarking their names coming.

I too swear that I have heard the term Johnny Football before Manziel was ever a glimmer of hope for A&M so, I don't understand how he can even trademark the term.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It seems like I've heard it before, but it may just have been a generic name for a football hot shot. Though in his case, if the name specifically refers to him, he could claim rights to its usage. Someone who knows more about trademark law than I do (which would be just about anybody) might be able to explain it.

Last edited:

termite

1st Team
Dec 13, 2002
Albertville AL
With the 3-ring circus surrounding Manziel I would not be surprised to see A&M take a step backwards this year. Just too many distractions for it to not effect the team.
You are right. Anytime one player is seemingly bigger than the team, bad things usually happen.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
There's something a lot of you guys may not realize regarding his trademarking issue. First off, should he not do it, he and TAMU are in danger of constant investigation by the NCAA, as possible proceeds from the sells of these items by businesses going to the school and not doing the split thing they do with merchandise across the conference/school out in the open (as a matter of public record.)

Below is an article on it when he first trademarked it. It was done by the family WITH the college. It is actually a pretty big deal, and honestly the safest bet top protect the school AND the player from undue scrutiny. At this point, Johnny boys bringing enough heat on himself without the nickname.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manziel-trademark-johnny-football-184004715--ncaaf.html

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Based on some information I have heard from folks who are familar with the Manziel "fambly" in east texas they really aren't surprised with any of this. This is just how they roll... he has the means within his family to do everything he has been doing in the last couple of months.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
With the 3-ring circus surrounding Manziel I would not be surprised to see A&M take a step backwards this year. Just too many distractions for it to not effect the team.
His head may now be too big to fit inside a helmet. I mean, c'mon Manziel - with as many good football players/coaches as there have been in history who have a first name of John, you really think you should own a license to the name "Johnny Football"? Just to name a few "Johnny's" who have already had 100 times more success than you have, are "Hannah, Stallworth, Elway, Riggins, Unitas, Rogers, Vaught, Cappeletti, Matuszak, & Majors". So just because Alabama gave you the Heisman by spotting your team 20 points before bringing you back to earth, you think you own the name "Johnny Football". You know, i don't usually wish this on anyone, but now that he's shown his true colors, I wouldn't shed a tear if he went down with an injury this season. maybe tears his ACL while dancing a jig for getting a first down against us.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.