****Bama vs. LSU Postgame Thread***

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Thank you for the enlightenment. I now know that blowing a 10 point lead with 3 minutes left is a good thing. I feel better now.

It's not blowing a lead when there's such a strong disparity of fouls called. I'll refrain from addressing this further because clearly you have an axe to grind. But you might be more at home at Rivals or wherever Travis Reier is busy blaming Grant and the players for the loss.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I had to leave at halftime. I kept up via radio/phone. I am sad at the loss, but proud that (with our depth) we fought as long as we did...

crimsonbear

Scout Team
Mar 19, 2001
(We were enjoying this without your commentary. Offense was quite good today, thank you very much.)

Yes 90 plus pts was great...but they had to play 55 min to get em'.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let me remind all about the rule against coach and player bashing. A couple of posts have been made in anger which have stepped over the line from frank criticism into bashing. That will continue to be a suspendable offense...

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Well, even though these guys are technically independent contractors, their game performance is still subject to review by Shaw. I've never done it before, but I'm going to write him and urge that this crew not be allowed to officiate another game in our conference. Let'em go somewhere else with their whistles...
Wasn't this the same crew that screwed us up in Vandy 2 years ago?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, even though these guys are technically independent contractors, their game performance is still subject to review by Shaw. I've never done it before, but I'm going to write him and urge that this crew not be allowed to officiate another game in our conference. Let'em go somewhere else with their whistles...
Wouldn't let 'em ref HS ball.

TideAlum

1st Team
Jun 29, 2007
You should write Gerald Boudreux (SEC Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials). I doubt Steve Shaw could do much.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
You should write Gerald Boudreux (SEC Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials). I doubt Steve Shaw could do much.
We get one defensive rebound in the last three minutes of regulation, if we get one box-out on all those clanging free throws while we still had a sizeable lead, the refs do no matter. We didn't, so they did.

As many steals as we had, we left three times as many on the floor. Three out of four times we picked a dribble or tipped a pass, it somehow ended up with LSU getting an uncontested shot.

Last edited:

goodnightjonboy

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2005
Spanish Fortish, AL
Much better effort from our boys. Releford was practically unstoppable at times. We DESPERATELY need a good big man. And while the refs made some horrific calls, losing a 10 point lead with about 2 minutes left cannot be blamed on the refs.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I knew the free-throw difference was big but did not realize it was that much in regulation. Bottom Line- still should have won with a 10 point lead with 2:58 left in regulation. I do not blame Grant at all for this loss. The only thing I would question from the players standpoint would be Rodney Cooper's shot selection- that 3 pointer early in the shot clock at about the 2:30 mark was a bad decision. Trevor Lacey simply did not take enough shots either- mainly because Cooper took too many. One more defensive rebound in the last 2 minutes probably would have won the game. But LSU was getting away with alot of fouls on both ends of the court toward the end of regulation. Some of the free-throw difference can be attributed to our lack of inside game-but not that much. Toughest loss to swallow in quite some time- thought they had in won twice. The LSU kid also had his hand on the line while sitting on the court- also not called. I need to go for a run to get this one out of my system.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You're right. I was still upset when I posted that. It's important to remember that these guys aren't really "SEC basketball officials," as they don't exist as a body any more. They're all independent contractors, making about $1k per game, and they can officiate for any conference which will hire them. This was done for economic reasons, and, IMO, it was a mistake. The conference lost leverage when that happened. If they get barred from the SEC, someone else desperate will take them on. It also increases the opportunity for corruption, which I think I saw today...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah, officiating went way beyond home cooking. It's disheartening, but we were in a position to make it a non-factor. Unfortunately we lost, and at the worst time. As I said before, considering our lack of real depth (and the fact we had three guys playing hurt), he fought through the bad officiating and poor shooting. If the NCAA committee looks at this as a bad loss, and it's the proverbial "straw that broke the camel" then so be it. I will continue to support, and be proud, of the character of our team and our coach...

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I somewhat understand the sentiment of not letting a 10-point lead slipping away with 3 minutes left, but did anyone who is saying that in this postgame thread actually WATCH the game?
Every time down the floor, we got called for a ticky-tack or non-existent foul. I'd love to know how many of foul shots they had in the last three minutes of the game and how many we had. A huge factor in why we couldn't get a rebound in those decisive moments was because Moussa had fouled out (after picking up two questionable at-best foul calls in about a 10-second span earlier in the game) and Jacobs had to play the rest of the game on what appears to be one leg or with a severe back issue.
Couple that with LSU players climbing on our players backs like our jerseys are jungle gyms, running through and over our guys to get second chances and that's how the lead was lost.
I will say, Cooper's shot selection severely hampered our ability to win, but he made a handful of plays and shots to keep us in the game until the final buzzer.

Just my .02.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I missed the game. I was at the softball game. I was watching game tracker it said we won. Then it is showing a 3rd OT. What happened?

I was afraid of this game all week. It seems the officials were bad, and anytime you have a 3-1 margin on FT attempts, there is a problem. I have thought the officials have actually been better this year for the most part up to now. We have to win the SEC tourney to get in now. Period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.