Phil Robertson (Duck Commander) on playing against Alabama in 1966

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
This is an interesting article on Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty fame. There are a couple of references about a game he played against Alabama in 1966.

Phil Robertson: They won the national championship that year. Beat us 34-0. They picked me off three or four times, but I slashed ’em up pretty good. We were a small school and I remember how efficient they were and what a charge they had coming at me. You’ve got to remember, in those days you could head-butt, everything. They chewed my tail up and I mean good. Alabama showed up. I was asked what it was like playing Bear Bryant and the Crimson Tide and I said, “When the ball was snapped it sounded like a clap of thunder.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/18740/how-good-was-phil-robertson-at-football

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Phil Robertson (Duck Commander) on playing againsy Alabama in 1966

Now we're cooking with peanut oil. Love me some Duck Dynasty.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Re: Phil Robertson (Duck Commander) on playing againsy Alabama in 1966

Now we're cooking with peanut oil. Love me some Duck Dynasty.
I do as well. I am from Monroe and they were filming the last of Season 3 right before duck season started back home in early November. Should be a little more hunting related with these shows.

FAYETTE4BAMA

1st Team
May 15, 2003

New season first episode tonight! Roll Tide Phil!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

First college game I ever saw - still got the green-tinted "lineups" sheet somewhere at home with Terry Bradshaw of Shreveport Woodlawn High listed as a freshman. Pretty well documented that dropping down in class against La. Tech "helped" cost the Tide the national title that year. Wanting to think they got on the schedule only after another team dropped 'Bama - anybody remember who it was? (Ga. Tech perhaps?)

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL
Love that show. I realize that it's mostly staged, but at least it's entertaining and leaves out all the arguing and drama that other "reality shows" put on the air.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I remember listening to that game and being kinda disappointed in how long it took us to firmly take charge. The outcome was never in charge, but most of us Bama fans were expecting more of a woodshed job.

They had more success in the early going throwing the ball than any of us expected. I remember they had a wideout that gave us trouble for awhile. As best as I can remember, his name was Joe Liberto or De Liberto. He was kinda small even for that period, but really quick and had great hands.

The final stats probably don't reflect my early angst, after all, nobody as it turned out had much luck with that 66 D. Nobody beat them except a bunch of crooked pollsters. :mad:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I remember listening to that game and being kinda disappointed in how long it took us to firmly take charge. The outcome was never in charge, but most of us Bama fans were expecting more of a woodshed job.

They had more success in the early going throwing the ball than any of us expected. I remember they had a wideout that gave us trouble for awhile. As best as I can remember, his name was Joe Liberto or De Liberto. He was kinda small even for that period, but really quick and had great hands.

The final stats probably don't reflect my early angst, after all, nobody as it turned out had much luck with that 66 D. Nobody beat them except a bunch of crooked pollsters. :mad:

I believe it was Ken Liberto.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Love that show. I realize that it's mostly staged, but at least it's entertaining and leaves out all the arguing and drama that other "reality shows" put on the air.
Agree. It is funny, poignant, family friendly (although some shows are a bit much for younger kids-Phil chaperoning John Luke in the boat with girl friend come to mind), doesn't take itself too seriously, and has some touching moments with a splash of faith.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I couldn't imagine living in town at a university and not being able to step out in the yard to pee. I married a yuppy town girl and she just rolls her eyes at some of my habits that I taught my son. I think it's all about freedom.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.