****Bama vs. UF Postgame Thread***

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Another SEC loss followed by blaming the refs for the loss. Not a good pattern for a basketball program to follow.
I'm sure the coaches and players aren't blaming the officiating - we are. Look at the numbers below and give any rational explanation. The last two teams shooting 56 FTs to our 18 cannot be explained rationally. Remember, as you criticize, that this UF team was favored by 16 pts...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As much as I'd like to see us in the NCAA Tourney, we'd have to play muvh better to make it past the 1st round. We can't get to the rim, we can't hit 3's, we can't hit free throws, and we DON'T shoot 10 foot jump shots. We can't run because we can't rebound. Our extraordinary effort usually keeps us in all the games, but we seem to tire at the end. I hope we have some help coming next year. RTR
Um, you're right. We should just forfeit the rest of the games...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Did not get to see the game and only got to follow a bit on my iphone. After reading this I went back and looked at the play by play. We scored with 9:54 to make it 47-41 Bama. Stats the rest of the way (sorry about formatting):

2 att 3att 2made 3made FTA FTM ORB TRB TO PF
AL 3 4 1 0 5 3 2 3 4 9
FLA 7 2 4 0 13 13 4 11 1 4

Looks like we rebounded only one of their missed shots.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Last week, the SEC BB officials chief admitted he could do nothing about bad officiating except by not hiring them again. IOW - nothing...
Do you think the fact he does not display emotion hurts us on the road? Wonder if the calls would be a little closer on the road if he would go a little 'dennis rodman' on the refs.... I hope to see more emotion from the bench at Ole Miss.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I don't think going "dennis rodman" will help our cause at all. I've been to numerous games since CAG arrived. I've seen plenty of emotion from Coach; he works the refs as much as anyone, you only get to see snippets of him on tv, but he's not going to throw a jacket, blow a gasket, or toss a chair across the floor.

In other news, Ole Miss lost to MSU tonight - this has to be one of the worse losses a team trying to get in the tourney can suffer this late in the season. We don't usually play well at The Tad, but we can clinch a top 4 conference finish and bye with a win this week.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I don't think going "dennis rodman" will help our cause at all. I've been to numerous games since CAG arrived. I've seen plenty of emotion from Coach; he works the refs as much as anyone, you only get to see snippets of him on tv, but he's not going to throw a jacket, blow a gasket, or toss a chair across the floor.

In other news, Ole Miss lost to MSU tonight - this has to be one of the worse losses a team trying to get in the tourney can suffer this late in the season. We don't usually play well at The Tad, but we can clinch a top 4 conference finish and bye with a win this week.
Ole Miss and KY most likely played themselves into to the NIT today. Looking more likely the SEC will be a 2 bid league.

PCBamafan

3rd Team
Oct 18, 1999
Panama City, Fl
Being here in Florida, I was stuck today listening to the Gator broadcast. Mick Hubert and Mark Wise were both commenting on the officiating, but were complaining that THEY weren't getting the calls on obvious fouls! Hey guys, just check the disparity on the attempts and you will see who did not get any calls! When 22 of your 64 points come from the FT line, there might be a problem!

To their credit though, when they went to the line, they shot 85%.

Bama just cant keep blowing these leads and the lack of offense in the last 10 minutes were enough to cost them this game. Hopefully it won't discourage the committee from puting us in the tournament.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you think the fact he does not display emotion hurts us on the road? Wonder if the calls would be a little closer on the road if he would go a little 'dennis rodman' on the refs.... I hope to see more emotion from the bench at Ole Miss.
Well, he's picked up several "T"s this year. In his public persona, he doesn't seem all that warm. I don't see him joking around with the refs like some of the coaches, and I bow to anyone who's been able to make the games in person. Perhaps they're not as quick to give him a break. I just don't know. I do know that the officiating the last couple of games has been horrendous...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cecil Hurt had a great response to Travis Reier discussing the refs as an excuse:

@CecilHurt
@travisreier Separate issues. People think every comment about officiating is an excuse. Refs can be bad AND team can have issues.

He nailed it. Just because a FAN (not a coach or player) brings up the game stats, doesn't mean it's an excuse. No one is going to say this team is flawless.

Look at the 10-0 LSU run last week. Bama was called for 6 fouls compared to LSU's ZERO. Today, Alabama was called for 9 fouls in the last 12 minutes compared to Florida's 5. In those 12 minutes, Alabama was called for the same number of Florida's entire game foul total. Folks that want to dismiss the officiating can't argue that.

Want to discuss 40% free throw shooting? Fine. Just acknowledge that Nick Jacobs isn't a good free throw shooter. The good ones (Lacey and Releford) weren't at the line compared to Florida's guards.

In that 25-5 Florida run, Levi was called for two charges that were made lay-ups. Flip those to blocking fouls, and Levi shoots free throws.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
The SEC NEEDS Florida to be a top 4 seed in a bad way. The SEC needs Kentucky in over Bama and in my opinion Tennessee too! Missouri is expected to get in which helps the SEC cause. The jump ball will be between Ole Miss and Bama as to who they push to get in and chances are neither will get in as I believe 4 SEC is the max number the NCAA's will take.

Is there a conspiracy going on? Well not in those terms but an implied desire of the SEC office to their officials for those 4 to make it in is very possible. If you think that is crazy just look at the common denominator between Tennessee and Missouri. They beat Florida! And who does Kentucky play last at Rupp Arena? Florida! Kentucky beats Florida then they are in! Its Florida and the 3 teams that beat Florida that will make the NCAA's! ;)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Cecil Hurt had a great response to Travis Reier discussing the refs as an excuse:

@CecilHurt
@travisreier Separate issues. People think every comment about officiating is an excuse. Refs can be bad AND team can have issues.

He nailed it. Just because a FAN (not a coach or player) brings up the game stats, doesn't mean it's an excuse. No one is going to say this team is flawless.

Look at the 10-0 LSU run last week. Bama was called for 6 fouls compared to LSU's ZERO. Today, Alabama was called for 9 fouls in the last 12 minutes compared to Florida's 5. In those 12 minutes, Alabama was called for the same number of Florida's entire game foul total. Folks that want to dismiss the officiating can't argue that.

Want to discuss 40% free throw shooting? Fine. Just acknowledge that Nick Jacobs isn't a good free throw shooter. The good ones (Lacey and Releford) weren't at the line compared to Florida's guards.

In that 25-5 Florida run, Levi was called for two charges that were made lay-ups. Flip those to blocking fouls, and Levi shoots free throws.

Beating the dead horse time, RTR, but there's a reason Lacey doesn't shoot free throws. He almost never attacks the basket. Just finished watching the Duke-Miami game. Great quickness in the Miami guards and they go straight to the rim. Ryan Kelly was miraculous. But if Miami has gotten anything out of Reggie Johnson except perspiration, it would have won. Their guards are that good.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The SEC NEEDS Florida to be a top 4 seed in a bad way. The SEC needs Kentucky in over Bama and in my opinion Tennessee too! Missouri is expected to get in which helps the SEC cause. The jump ball will be between Ole Miss and Bama as to who they push to get in and chances are neither will get in as I believe 4 SEC is the max number the NCAA's will take.

Is there a conspiracy going on? Well not in those terms but an implied desire of the SEC office to their officials for those 4 to make it in is very possible. If you think that is crazy just look at the common denominator between Tennessee and Missouri. They beat Florida! And who does Kentucky play last at Rupp Arena? Florida! Kentucky beats Florida then they are in! Its Florida and the 3 teams that beat Florida that will make the NCAA's! ;)
Short of winning the SEC tourney, the only teams with a shot at getting in are UF, Mizzou and UK. UK is only b/c they play UF again. I do think the SEC office will lobby for UK as much as they can. Honestly, I have no issue with that b/c they are the GOD of SEC basketball and one of the top 4 programs of all time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Beating the dead horse time, RTR, but there's a reason Lacey doesn't shoot free throws. He almost never attacks the basket. Just finished watching the Duke-Miami game. Great quickness in the Miami guards and they go straight to the rim. Ryan Kelly was miraculous. But if Miami has gotten anything out of Reggie Johnson except perspiration, it would have won. Their guards are that good.
As I said a few days ago, I've known Travis a long time, and, unless he's changed, he's Duke BB fan first and foremost.That needs to be remembered in examining his writings. All that said, there's no point in Lacey's trying to go to the rim with Murphy and Young guarding it. Foolishness. Randolph did try to take it to the rim. What happened there?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

There are no "SEC officials." These guys officiate a number of different conferences as independent contractors...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We've had our chances this year and blown it when the games is on the line almost every time. We can complain about this game or that game. Ultimately the early season and Auburn losses are what will come back to haunt us, not this game which none of the prognosticators gave us a chance to win. We have to win the SEC tournament to get in for sure now. The rest of the regular season is moot now.

I do agree the ref's screwed us, but we should be used to it by now. We've had the same issue since CAG became the coach. I am not real sure what it is, but we seem to get more games where there is obvious bias by the officials towards the other team. We never have a home court advantage. I'd like to see the season stats for FTA by our opponents as compared to FTA by us. Frustrating, just frustrating.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As I said a few days ago, I've known Travis a long time, and, unless he's changed, he's Duke BB fan first and foremost.That needs to be remembered in examining his writings. All that said, there's no point in Lacey's trying to go to the rim with Murphy and Young guarding it. Foolishness. Randolph did try to take it to the rim. What happened there?
Exactly. If Lacey did try to drive, folks would be complaining about how he shouldn't try to against the bigs like that.

I do agree the ref's screwed us, but we should be used to it by now. We've had the same issue since CAG became the coach. I am not real sure what it is, but we seem to get more games where there is obvious bias by the officials towards the other team. We never have a home court advantage. I'd like to see the season stats for FTA by our opponents as compared to FTA by us. Frustrating, just frustrating.
You make a good point. Since CAG got to Bama, seems like the officiating has been horrible. Prof sarcastically made the same comment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Exactly. If Lacey did try to drive, folks would be complaining about how he shouldn't try to against the bigs like that.

You make a good point. Since CAG got to Bama, seems like the officiating has been horrible. Prof sarcastically made the same comment.
I'd like to see the conference's explanation for the 56-18 FT imbalance over the last week. We are not a dirty basketball team. I could understand it a bit better if we were...

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Allow me to rephrase, jefe. The most surprising part of the sophomores' games is their hesitancy to penetrate. And given he was such a big time scorer coming in, that hesitancy is most glaring in Trevor. I wasn't thinking dunk as much as pressing the point, getting a 10-foot jumper, making the defense adjust or increasing the odds, if slightly, of getting a call.

By the way, interesting post by Kausler that encapsulates a lot of our discussion.

Link

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I did a little research that might be of interest.

Yesterday in the SEC every home team won except Auburn.

In total the home teams shot 169 Free Throws.
The visitors shot 126 Free Throws.

If you eliminate the Auburn game the home teams shot 150 free throws.
The visitors shot 95.

Want to know how Miss. State was able to upset Ole Miss? They shot 37 Free Throws.
Ole Miss shot 16 free throws.

Bama, Ole Miss, and Kentucky(all on the road) combined to shoot 53 Free throws yesterday.
The home teams they faced shot a total of 92 free throws.

The team that shot the most free throws won every game in the conference yesterday with the exception of South Carolina.
They lost to A&M. They shot 17 free throws. A@M shot 16.

So....after seeing that trend I'd have to conclude the following:

(1) There is a conference wide favoritism being shown by the officials towards the home teams.
(2) This favoritism is definitely having a major impact on the outcome of the games.

sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.