tulane observations

heathco9

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
Same story different game. We had a guy smoking the ball in bp again today that just happens to be a senior , a battle tested one and cannot get in a game. Why cant he get 25 or 30 at bats and lets see what he can do. What we are doing now will not work. There its been said again. Give the kid a chance.

big jim

Mar 9, 2012
Same story different game. We had a guy smoking the ball in bp again today that just happens to be a senior , a battle tested one and cannot get in a game. Why cant he get 25 or 30 at bats and lets see what he can do. What we are doing now will not work. There its been said again. Give the kid a chance.
Wasn't at the games this weekend but I did review the line up and I am amazed that we continue to put freshman in to DH. I know miller is getting over and arm problem and if he is who you are referring to he will be in soon. Blanchard is not getting it done lets hope his Miller's arm gets well soon. As far as the DH I think we need some experience there but Gaspard has a different way of doing things. I thought we were capable of beating Tulane this only re-assures me that we will struggle from here on out.

heathco9

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
Miller has proved himself in games. I don't know what more a kid could do. We went from playing postseason super regionals with him in the lineup to getting spanked at home with him on the bench. Something is wrong in t-town and it needs fixing in a hurry or this season is wasted.

UAalum

Feb 26, 2013
Miller isn't as consistent as he should be but he has proved himself and is just a flat out player. He'll find his way in the lineup just depends on how long he'll stay there.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
Miller isn't as consistent as he should be but he has proved himself and is just a flat out player. He'll find his way in the lineup just depends on how long he'll stay there.
So tired of hearing about miller.

Miller is a 237 career hitter. He hit under 200 last season. When he's played we've been terrible. He's had an opportunity this year and is a whopping 0 for 4.

I'm sorry at this point he shouldn't be given a chance. Regardless of how many line drives he hits in BP. Go watch sec BP and you'll see just about everyone ripping line drives.

Basically we know what to expect out of miller. If he plays great this year he will hit 270 with no power and plenty of strikeouts, and that's if he plays lights out. More than likely he will put up numbers more along the lines of his career path.

I mean I understand that the original poster is a miller fan, family member, or miller himself. But the coaching staff shouldn't play someone just by they are a senior. And if I were in their shoes I would likely give everyone on the roster a shot before running about a 237 career singles hitter that hit 185 last season and is 0-fer 2013 as well.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
Miller has proved himself in games?

He's proven to be a 235 hitter

You want him to get 30 abs to prove himself?

He's had 443 over his career why does he deserve 30 more? Time to turn the page to more talented kids. Sure tons of ppl would love 400 plus abs to show what they can do

big jim

Mar 9, 2012
Miller has proved himself in games?

He's proven to be a 235 hitter

You want him to get 30 abs to prove himself?

He's had 443 over his career why does he deserve 30 more? Time to turn the page to more talented kids. Sure tons of ppl would love 400 plus abs to show what they can do
I believe in all kids at this level. I am a fan each kid is talented enough to help so don't down the kids that kid has got enough big hits over his career to get more respect from our coaches not his fault are any other kid. Our problem is our staff you give our kids to another staff that can teach hitting and everyone one of them would have a average that is respectful. As soon as our university wants to move forward with this program they will dismiss these coaches and give these student athletes a chance to become great players. None of these kids will bat much over 235 in there career with these coaches teaching hitting and all of them have the ability to get it done.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
I believe in all kids at this level. I am a fan each kid is talented enough to help so don't down the kids that kid has got enough big hits over his career to get more respect from our coaches not his fault are any other kid. Our problem is our staff you give our kids to another staff that can teach hitting and everyone one of them would have a average that is respectful. As soon as our university wants to move forward with this program they will dismiss these coaches and give these student athletes a chance to become great players. None of these kids will bat much over 235 in there career with these coaches teaching hitting and all of them have the ability to get it done.
I don't buy that for a second. Not taking up for our coaching staff at all, but the kids that are here CHOSE to come here. They all CHOSE to stay here. Transferring happens all the time theses days and if they felt as though this staff was doing a disservice to them as ball players, then it's real simple, go somewhere else.

But then agAin i wouldn't see the Lou's, Floridias, and south Carolina's of the world running to take in a 235 hitter that wasn't good enough to start for the bottom dwellers of the sec.

More than likely a transfer would have been to uab, or someplace similar.

A coaching staff that has given a player 433 at bats, has hardly spit in the kids face. The kid quiet frankly, is getting the playing time now that he has earned, which is very little, and I don't see how anyone care argue otherwise.

I mean a kid takes some good BP and we think he should play. How many teams need 230 hitting outfielders with no power? Come on, heck I hope the sec is full of teams with that talent level starting in their outfields. That'll give us a shot to win some games

big jim

Mar 9, 2012
I don't buy that for a second. Not taking up for our coaching staff at all, but the kids that are here CHOSE to come here. They all CHOSE to stay here. Transferring happens all the time theses days and if they felt as though this staff was doing a disservice to them as ball players, then it's real simple, go somewhere else.

But then agAin i wouldn't see the Lou's, Floridias, and south Carolina's of the world running to take in a 235 hitter that wasn't good enough to start for the bottom dwellers of the sec.

More than likely a transfer would have been to uab, or someplace similar.

A coaching staff that has given a player 433 at bats, has hardly spit in the kids face. The kid quiet frankly, is getting the playing time now that he has earned, which is very little, and I don't see how anyone care argue otherwise.

I mean a kid takes some good BP and we think he should play. How many teams need 230 hitting outfielders with no power? Come on, heck I hope the sec is full of teams with that talent level starting in their outfields. That'll give us a shot to win some games
I live in Tuscaloosa and I know why these kids stay here they love the area and the university. You need to take a deep breath and support your son and leave all the other kids and families alone. The coaching staff is what it is we can't change it so you live with it I don't know one kid that plays but if we recruit them I believe they can play here. I don't mean to upset you but please stop downing a kid that has not done anything to you. It seems you have a kid on the team and want them to do well put your efforts behind them and hope that the coaches can see there desire to play. If you can't do that then you need to do what you are saying and transfer your child.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
I live in Tuscaloosa and I know why these kids stay here they love the area and the university. You need to take a deep breath and support your son and leave all the other kids and families alone. The coaching staff is what it is we can't change it so you live with it I don't know one kid that plays but if we recruit them I believe they can play here. I don't mean to upset you but please stop downing a kid that has not done anything to you. It seems you have a kid on the team and want them to do well put your efforts behind them and hope that the coaches can see there desire to play. If you can't do that then you need to do what you are saying and transfer your child.
I live in Tuscaloosa as well. Go to my fair share of games and I am a loyal supporter of the tide. I don't have a kid on the team, but I've watched enough over the years to know what kind of talent is needed in the sec to win.

The orginator of this thread continues to down the coaching staff and continues to want a particular player playing. I'm simply pointing out the fact that while our coaching staff isn't the best in the country, they have not done that particular kid wrong. That kid had a choice in coming here and staying here, and to this point hasn't produced at a level worthy enough of earning more abs. Outside of being a senior and lining bAlls around the yard in BP, which thankfully that doesn't wArrant playing time in this program.

The tide certainly has a long way to go, but the talent on cAmpus and on the field is clearly better than it has been in the past. Maybe it's time to support the team, coaching staff, and the players playing instead of complaining everytime a kid that hit 185 last year isn't in the lineup

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
you guys just wait until Riley Colburn finds himself the regular starter in LF. Gaspard's knack is having a walk-on, usually one from Tuscaloosa County, or two, in the lineup. It'll happen.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
My only question is...................

OK, I know playing ball in cold, crappy weather, is no fun. Accounts for a lot of Ks. Both sides did that. But only one managed to get any hits, and they did it both days.

HUH?? What gives?

Zona

1st Team
Feb 22, 2008
Mobile
One side has proven coaches who know how to coach pitchers and coach hitters. Led this team to a couple of CWS. Maybe just one. Doesn't really matter.

One side has a guy better served as an assistant/recruiter, with a former hitting coach coaching pitchers, and a guy who had never had ANY on-field coach training now all the sudden coaching hitters because he broke all kinds of hitting records with minus-5s.

Figure out which is which.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
It seems that Miller's problems at the plate can be traced to issues with his swing, which can oftentimes appear stiff and mechanical. He inside-outs everything, leading to a lot of weak contact to the opposite field, and rarely squares the ball up to make solid contact. While he's clearly strong enough to hit for at least some power, when he gets fastballs right in his wheelhouse that he could be driving out of the park in right, he often ends up hitting a dribbler to the shortstop. I can't recall the last time I saw him pull the ball with any authority. Whether it's a matter of timing, or the positioning of his hands, or his stance, his swing has basically remained the same, with no obvious adjustments, and the numbers have continued to decline. A competent hitting coach would be able to diagnose these issues and help Miller make the necessary corrections in order to get the most out of his ability. Unfortunately, that's a luxury we don't have.

If Miller is in the lineup, however, much of what he brings to the table is wasted if he's being used as the DH. He's a very good defensive outfielder at either corner, and better in the field than the two starters.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
These seniors were recruited before the bat changed occurred. These bats expose flaws much more, and you have to be lot better to hit.

Jojo I agree with your assessment, however I think it's easy way out to blame hitting coach. I think his bat speed is a little slow, and the bat change sapped what little power he can offer. I blame a hitting coach if a guy has shown ability to hit, unfortunately, he has not.

Also please know I'm not trying to bash a kid. I'm glad the tide won today, he started and contributed which should make one poster here happy. I hope the kid lights the world on fire, that said when you've seen your fair share of sec baseball games over the years, he doesn't look like a sec corner outfielder nor as he performed like one.

big jim

Mar 9, 2012
It seems that Miller's problems at the plate can be traced to issues with his swing, which can oftentimes appear stiff and mechanical. He inside-outs everything, leading to a lot of weak contact to the opposite field, and rarely squares the ball up to make solid contact. While he's clearly strong enough to hit for at least some power, when he gets fastballs right in his wheelhouse that he could be driving out of the park in right, he often ends up hitting a dribbler to the shortstop. I can't recall the last time I saw him pull the ball with any authority. Whether it's a matter of timing, or the positioning of his hands, or his stance, his swing has basically remained the same, with no obvious adjustments, and the numbers have continued to decline. A competent hitting coach would be able to diagnose these issues and help Miller make the necessary corrections in order to get the most out of his ability. Unfortunately, that's a luxury we don't have.

If Miller is in the lineup, however, much of what he brings to the table is wasted if he's being used as the DH. He's a very good defensive outfielder at either corner, and better in the field than the two starters.
I agree JoJo he has struggled with the bat in the last year. Early in his career he was a big help at the plate . But he is a very good defensive player I would say the best we have in the field that has been proven since he arrived here. But hitting is 90% confidence and I think with the hitting instructions we get now as a team it shows that we are not confident in what we are being taught. From the freshman to the Seniors. Rolltydebb mentioned the bat change affecting kids it does but it affects every kid that plays NCAA baseball. You can't blame the bat it is like going to a fight with a little stick and the person you are fighting has a bigger stick and wins. My point is the field is level with the bat they are all the same size and specs but other teams continue to win with there bats and we struggle. That leads to 2 things either they have better kids(which I doubt) are have better instructions on how to use them. I went to the game today just because the weather was better for me. What Miller brings is experience he is like all the others he is going to strike out some and make outs but i sit behind the plate and he swung it well today got a hit on a hit and run and got a long fly to score a run which is what you need in that situation anything out of the infield. The next batter hit into a double play. The difference was a more experinced kid lifting the ball and a freshman just making contact and hitting into a double play. All our kids are going to struggle look at Moore he has not been producing but hopefully he can come out of it which I think he will. But Jo Jo our hitting instrutor needs to pick his game up and teach hitting instead of telling them how great he was when he played.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
Experience can only take you so fAr. He also looked very bad in two at bats against very bad pitching.

Again I support whomever rolls out there but I hope we get more than his career path shows. 235 with no power isn't going to cut it, and even with dramatic improvement say 50 points over career AverGes, 285 with no power, I certainly hope we can find more than that out of a corner outfielder

And do they have better players?

The answer to that question is on most nights we aren't going to have more talent than I'd what's in the other dugout, especially in sec play. We took a step in the right directions
With the last recruiting classes though

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.