William "Paul Bearer" Moody passes away

For the wrestling fans out there,

William Moody, better known as Paul Bearer or Percy Pringle III (for the old school fans), passed away today at the age of 58. He was born and raised in Mobile and called it his home all of his life. He was easily the biggest name in professional wrestling to come out of the state of Alabama.

Even though he played a mortician as part of a wrestling character, he was actually a licensed one in real life. When he went to interview for the WWF at the end of 1990, Vince McMahon saw that on his resume and laughed. A few weeks later he was told he'd be managing The Undertaker and realized why McMahon was laughing.

When he first managed The Undertaker, Bearer would joke (but also proudly state) he was the highest paid babysitter in the world. The Undertaker was still young in the business and had a wild side. It was Moody's job to make sure he made flights on time, got to the building on time, etc. As much as he helped The Undertaker's character on camera, he did just much for him off camera as well.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
He was also a huge Bama fan. by all accounts he was a great guy and a great professional. He was instrumental in the development of one of pro wrestlings greatest gimmicks. He will be missed.

Does anyone know how he died?
It hasn't come out yet, but indications were he hadn't been feeling well recently. He had numerous health issues over the years due to his weight, and he had gastric bypass in 2003.

There was also the issue of him never full getting over his wife's death a few years ago.

Edit - I just found this. Looks like he was suffering from a blood clot: http://www.tmz.com/2013/03/06/paul-bearer-dead-blood-clot/

Last edited:

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Sad news. As a wrestling fan since I was a kid, this is big news for me. After seeing the Undertaker return recently and then hearing about William Moody, 'Paul Bearer', passing away a day later was a real shock. I bet he would like to have seen one more Wrestlemania match from the Undertaker.

What's strange is that after all these years I never knew he was from Mobile, Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.