The "classic" and other thoughts...

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
*I realize that it doesn't count in the conference standings, but I'm sick of losing to Auburn every year in Montgomery. Maybe our players are unable to perform due to the shock of playing in a nice ballpark for a change.

*After one game of beating up on the dregs of Tulane's pitching staff, reality returned with another utterly pathetic showing in Montgomery. Three stinking hits. As CMG remarked after the game, it's inexcusable. This is supposed to be the "easy" portion of the schedule, yet this team has a slugging percentage of .304. Kenny Roberts leads the team in extra-base hits with a grand total of three.

*Even the greatest players in this game encounter those times when they must get their acts together and remove their heads from their you-know-where's. Now is such a time for Ben Moore. He's one of the best players in the SEC, but he's just not getting the job done at the plate, trying to crush the ball out of the park and giving away too many at bats. He's also become a liability in the field, with costly misplays in three out of the last four games. If this team is going to contend for the postseason, the real Ben Moore has to show up.

*Guilbeau has good enough stuff to dominate, as we saw in his brilliant start against Southern Miss, but his past two outings have only demonstrated that his command/control remains extremely poor. He simply has to throw more strikes. Giving up 12 walks in 14.1 innings is a recipe for disaster, and his inability to work ahead only leads to elevated pitch counts early. A reliable starting pitcher should at least be efficient enough to provide 6-7 innings; at this point, Guilbeau cannot do that. Perhaps a shift to the bullpen would be a better use of his services.

*A little concerned with Turnbull's ineffectiveness, especially after he pitched so well in the preseason. Through three starts, he's been elevating all of his pitches, his fastball is flat, and he's not getting good rotation on his breaking ball. Could be a matter of making some minor mechanical tweak to get him back on track.

*Sullivan has been racking up strikeouts at a truly spectacular rate, unprecedented for a guy without a track record of missing a lot of bats. It's a very positive development for the senior, but what's puzzling is that while he's been getting plenty of K's, opponents are also hitting .339 against him. This could be a matter of command within the strike zone (catching too much of the plate) or predictable pitch selection, or possibly a little of both.

*The bullpen has played a significant role in each of the eight victories this season. Castillo and Haack have stepped in as true freshmen and pitched with the poise of seasoned veterans. Hawley has held his own in his return from Tommy John surgery, and Kamplain looks like the closer going forward.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
This team heading to Louisville and then into SEC play is like watching a young teen-aged girl in one of those horror movies where a bad guy is hiding in the closet. You want to scream 'no, don't go in there' and look away, but you can't. You have to watch the inevitable happen knowing all the while how terrible it will be.

The thing that bothers me more than the hitting is the defense letting us down. I thought that we were going to be a lot more solid there, especially up the middle. On the other hand, it's hard to be down on a bunch of freshmen, and I am not.

Honestly, games like last night are going to happen. These guys have to learn and have time to grow, and on the way they are going to improve (please Lord, let them improve).

In the end this program may be taking a positive step forward, even if we have a really bad record again this year. We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

rtr

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
some of the hitters we are running up there need to take notice of booths approach. be patient, fight off breaking balls, know the strike zone, get on base any way you can. he doesnt seem to be pressing and worrying about averages or spot in the order. it seems to have worked out to a better average, ob%, walks, fewer k's and most of all score runs. its pretty obivous our line up is limited so there should be no pressure on any of them to knock it outta the park. roberts, smith and booth are the only ones draft eligible so that aspect is out for the other 5 or 6 in the lineup. i hope our coaches stay positive and preach patience at the plate. nothing wrong with a first pitch hit, but we have to many 3 pitch k's.

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
We are better than we were last year. But considering we were abysmal last year, that's not saying a lot.

321sutol

Jun 16, 2010
We have a better record at this point than we had last year but the jury is still out on this team. Good this year to have the harder SEC teams at home rather than on road.Hard to replace senior ss & cf with freshmen and expect them to be better. Last year it was freshmen on mound and now its freshmen up the middle. When will we put a team on field that has some upper classman that have been developed and battle tested, next year? Or will this years freshmen, sophmores, & juniors be watching next years freshmen on the field?

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
some of the hitters we are running up there need to take notice of booths approach. be patient, fight off breaking balls, know the strike zone, get on base any way you can. he doesnt seem to be pressing and worrying about averages or spot in the order.
You're exactly right. At this point, I'd consider switching Booth and Moore in the order, as that might allow Moore to see more hittable fastballs and in turn, get his bat going.

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009
We had more hitters sitting up there taking the 1st pitch fastball for a strike and then swinging at the next pitch (bender in the dirt). I thought when we had our success we was jumping on the heaters early.

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
just what success are you talking about? we need to work the count and be more selective at the plate. Dead pull hitters are dead outside most of the time. Work the count and get a pitch you can handle or heaven forbib WALK!

RoyDMercer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2009
Sorry,

I meant earlier as at FAU we was jumping on strikes early from what it sounded. Taking a heater down the shoot and then breaking our back swinging at the next pitch

UAalum

Feb 26, 2013
All these guys are apparently experts on the coaching of baseball. Since Andy is so bad why don't you guys go take his job???

UAalum

Feb 26, 2013
I am more upset about a hitting coach being the pitching coach. But, who cares what I think

heathco9

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
I am not an expert but i do have more years of coaching under my belt than CAP , and i can look back and figure out that every player at bama leaves with a lower batting average than they had their first year. Dugas was as successful as he was because he was patient , he very seldom swung at bad pitches. Its a common known fact that we cannot hit breaking balls , and the only way to do it now is thru coaching and that my fellow tide supporters , we dont have. these kids try with all of their might to win for bama and should be given the proper resources that it takes to win. Mal Moore needs to get involved SOON.

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
i hate to break it to some but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. we have players that are seniors who are not patient and for the past three years and two hitting coaches continue to hit two hoppers and swing and miss after getting behind in the count. i hate to tell you but coaching is not the problem. i am sure these kids have had coaching from middle school up on how to hit. some can and some can't. if dugas was successful by being patient and booth seems to be doing ok by being patient and the coaches are telling them to be patient - why then are the hitter not being patient? we have the coaches we have at least till the end of the year, we can support them or some can use them as an excuse for their loved one being in over their head.

big jim

Mar 9, 2012
i hate to break it to some but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. we have players that are seniors who are not patient and for the past three years and two hitting coaches continue to hit two hoppers and swing and miss after getting behind in the count. i hate to tell you but coaching is not the problem. i am sure these kids have had coaching from middle school up on how to hit. some can and some can't. if dugas was successful by being patient and booth seems to be doing ok by being patient and the coaches are telling them to be patient - why then are the hitter not being patient? we have the coaches we have at least till the end of the year, we can support them or some can use them as an excuse for their loved one being in over their head.

It is going to be tough in Louisville this weekend lets hope we get 1-3. The problem is a little players an a little coaching. If a kid knows he is playing no matter what they are a little more patient then one that feels he has to make something happen to stay in line- up. Moore is pressing because he wants to help but has a terrible looking approach right now and booth they are trying to be careful with because he is batting fourth and haven't challenged him and they are walking him now. He will be challenged this weekend and in the sec because they have faced him for 3 years and lets hope he has better results than in the past. So far this year we still know very little about our team but starting Friday we will see if we can compete with good programs. If we have a bad weekend our coaches could start making it worse by not keeping there composer and not panic.

bench

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2011
lets just face facts. NOBODY is our lineup is more certain of playing every pitch than moore. regardless of MAKING SOMETHING HAPPEN or just pinch hitting our players need to do what they can to help us win, whether getting the winning hit or cheering from the dugout. we all need to quit blaming coaches for 22 year olds not being able to hit. i think moore will come around and i don't think booth will hit .400, but every body needs to stay positive, coaches included because right now we are playing at an 8-4 record which is a pretty good winning percentage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.