Link: UT Kicks UA Alumni Chapter Out of Campus Visitors' Center

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

After being allowed to meet in a room inside the University of Tennessee visitor's center for the last 40 years, the Knoxville chapter of the University of Alabama National Alumni Association has been told to hold their meetings elsewhere by UT officials.

According to a report form the Knoxville News-Sentinel, the move was prompted by an apparently ill-timed "Roll Tide" cheer from the group was overheard by a parent of a visiting potential UT student.

"We're sure the fine folks at Alabama would not want us singing 'Rocky Top' in their admissions office," said Karen Simsen, a UT spokeswoman. "We want our visitor's center to be all about UT, campus traditions and what it feels like to be a student here. So we had to talk to the (alumni group) about how we have a new use for the building."
That's a bogus excuse. The visitor's center to be "all about UT?" Then, why allow the alumni group be there for 30+ years?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That's a bogus excuse. The visitor's center to be "all about UT?" Then, why allow the alumni group be there for 30+ years?
It sounds to me like it might have originally been a courtesy extended between personal friends, that was allowed to continue because it had never been a problem before, but the latest participants wore out their welcome.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Link

After being allowed to meet in a room inside the University of Tennessee visitor's center for the last 40 years, the Knoxville chapter of the University of Alabama National Alumni Association has been told to hold their meetings elsewhere by UT officials.

According to a report form the Knoxville News-Sentinel, the move was prompted by an apparently ill-timed "Roll Tide" cheer from the group was overheard by a parent of a visiting potential UT student.

"We're sure the fine folks at Alabama would not want us singing 'Rocky Top' in their admissions office," said Karen Simsen, a UT spokeswoman. "We want our visitor's center to be all about UT, campus traditions and what it feels like to be a student here. So we had to talk to the (alumni group) about how we have a new use for the building."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see Tennessee is still the same classy place.
Loose a couple of games to us and then BOOM they don't allow what had been previously allowed.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not a UA grad, but did live in Knoxville for a while and was aware they had meetings there. I guess it is some really nice facility for hosting things like that.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
No big deal. It is their campus, their admission office, their rules. I'm not saying it's a good excuse to kick a group off campus but it is one little control mechanism they have over Alabama right now. Let them have it, the alumni chapter will just have to meet at the Waffle House! :)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I would think hearing "Roll Tide" repeatedly would be quite indicative of what it's like to be a student (and fan) of UT, especially over the last several years.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Doesn't ut realize that without that little bit of BAMA they WILL BE the ugliest campus! ;)
I don't think having our entire cheerleading squad and gymnastics team would be able to get that cesspool any better than second ugliest.

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
Yes, a nice little quip would be funny here, but...

I don't think it was a bogus excuse at all. I don't see it difficult to believe that a courtesy was extended to our Alumni group that was taken advantage. I love my school. I have two degrees from Alabama and have been a member of Tide Pride since just after graduation. However, I do realize that we are just people and we are flawed. I can see that after some years of feeling comfortable at this Visitor Center, someone or a group of someones instinctively let out a ROLL TIDE at the wrong time forgetting the courtesy being extended. Perhaps now, our group can find a place a little more accommodating for their activities. Lord knows I wouldn't want to meet at UT nor would I want them meeting at UA.

My $0.02 --- nothing to see here.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
No big deal. It is their campus, their admission office, their rules. I'm not saying it's a good excuse to kick a group off campus but it is one little control mechanism they have over Alabama right now. Let them have it, the alumni chapter will just have to meet at the Waffle House! :)
Waffle House probably has better facilities...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.