Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Re: AJ Squats 600 Today

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    Cannot really say hypothetically that Saban would not have recruited Croyle given his build, because he had the same build as McCarron and a couple of other quarterbacks we've signed under Saban.

I think we can definitely say that Croyle's prep background would have been far more scrutinized now than it was then, but even so given his ceiling, the fact that he was an in-state kid, and a 'Bama legacy, I still imagine Saban would pursue him if he was coming out of high school right now.

And I think we can say with 100% certainty that Croyle's work ethic, or lack thereof, would not have meshed at all with the Saban culture. He wouldn't see the field under a guy like Saban with his infamous weekly cameos in the weight room for a few minutes, nor would his relative lack of film study put him in a better position. Not necessarily trying to bash the guy now, mind you, but in truth it's never been seriously claimed that he outworked anyone. He was a guy who did what he did based on his raw talent, and who spent most of his time at UA basking in the fact that he was the Big Man on Campus. Of course, though, had that not been his disposition, he would have probably just stuck with Florida State...
    You just never know what good leadership and management will do for a person. Croyle had none from his HC while he was at UA. If we could teleport his 18 year old self to present day Alabama, I'd wager he would have had a better work ethic (of course he would never make it otherwise). However, I'd also say that he would face competition at Alabama now unlike anything he faced back then. You are most likely right that he would have chosen FSU in that case.

He has his place in UA history as it is, and I'll remember some of those moments fondly.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    You just never know what good leadership and management will do for a person. Croyle had none from his HC while he was at UA. If we could teleport his 18 year old self to present day Alabama, I'd wager he would have had a better work ethic (of course he would never make it otherwise). However, I'd also say that he would face competition at Alabama now unlike anything he faced back then. You are most likely right that he would have chosen FSU in that case.

He has his place in UA history as it is, and I'll remember some of those moments fondly.
    I agree.

I will say this - you put Brodie behind any of the O-lines we've had over the last 5 years, with RB's we've had, with the recievers we've had - we would have seen a LOT of wins. Had he came in and worked hard under CNS, there's no telling how good he could have been. Brodie had the prettiest (and most accurate) long ball of any QB we've had in my lifetime.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

But there's always this: AJ has done the work, we don't have to guess as to whether or not he might have.

IOW, AJM > BC

I like (and liked) BC, but the reality is I respect those who put in the hard work for success. I don't know that we've ever had a QB that worked harder than AJ, and he has the jewelry to show for it .
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    I agree.

I will say this - you put Brodie behind any of the O-lines we've had over the last 5 years, with RB's we've had, with the recievers we've had - we would have seen a LOT of wins. Had he came in and worked hard under CNS, there's no telling how good he could have been. Brodie had the prettiest (and most accurate) long ball of any QB we've had in my lifetime.
    This, right here!!! ^ . Brodie woul dhvae been a BEAST under CNS and crew. Shula blew it for him. Plain and simple.
    The poster formerly known as ditchdoc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rueben View Post
    This, right here!!! ^ . Brodie woul dhvae been a BEAST under CNS and crew. Shula blew it for him. Plain and simple.
    Dude, c'mon. Shula was definitely a far cry from CNS, but if BC wasn't willing to step foot into the weight room on his own accord, a coach wouldn't make that much of a difference - he might show up when he had to, but he wouldn't be squatting 600#.

Champions are self-driven.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    But there's always this: AJ has done the work, we don't have to guess as to whether or not he might have.

IOW, AJM > BC

I like (and liked) BC, but the reality is I respect those who put in the hard work for success. I don't know that we've ever had a QB that worked harder than AJ, and he has the jewelry to show for it .
    Oh yes, I agree. I wasn't really comparing him to AJ or any other QB. Just exploring the hypothetical of Croyle in the CNS era.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree.

I remember Croyle missing so many throws by slightly overthrowing the receiver. Maybe those stand out more than the other ones but I wouldn't say he had the prettiest long ball by any stretch.

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Dude, c'mon. Shula was definitely a far cry from CNS, but if BC wasn't willing to step foot into the weight room on his own accord, a coach wouldn't make that much of a difference - he might show up when he had to, but he wouldn't be squatting 600#.

It was a chronic disease under Shula. There was none, notta, zero, discipline on the team. That is why "Duke" nearly beat Bama. And why Bama could not lead a game throught he fourth quarter. I know, I was there, out on the strip t night before the game, and saw players out clubbing it up. Well after midnight. And what did Shula say during the post game interview? "Well, Duke has a pretty good team..." I almost threw up. (And not form being out the night before.) Yes Champions are self driven, but there has to be leadership form the top. And there was none. And I am not a Shula Hater. I think he was too young to be in the position he was in at the time. Oh, and B.C. did step foot in the weight room. It was a great place to go watch T.V.
    The poster formerly known as ditchdoc.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I agree there but of course Saban would have lit a fire under his tail, something Shula could not and would not do. Croyle would have been a beast under Saban IMO but like you said that is mainly a "what if". But there is no way Croyle would have transferred out so he would have been forced to put in the work under CNS. Like someone else mentioned if Brodie would have had 1/2 the line A.J. had last year he STILL would have been sick. And I agree with TidefaninAU, Croyle had a very pretty long ball and could really sling it!

But in the end I agree A.J. is just a better QB who was driven by himself from the start and that has really made the difference. His work ethic is amazing, but to me a lot of the kids work ethic we have now can be attributed to Coach Saban as he could and can motivate. That was something Shula was lacking in and it showed. Success breeds success and no rules can lead to the inmates running the show which is bad for business.

I agree.

I wish my memories of Brodie's long ball were the same, but I remember many balls thrown too low and hot, overshooting by one to five yards. I'll take AJ's...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Like Rolando McClain? If you can't see the influence of a great coach on certain players, I don't know what to tell you.
    I was never saying that BC was better than AJ or that he would ever squat 600#. I was saying that Brodie never had the benefit of the level of players around him or the level of coaching (nor playcalling) that JPW, GMac, or AJ got. We'll never know how he would have responded to CNS nor how good he could have been if he responded well, but based on his ability to throw the ball, I think he could have been great. That's all I was saying.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I wish my memories of Brodie's long ball were the same, but I remember many balls thrown too low and hot, overshooting by one to five yards. I'll take AJ's...
    I agree with that Earle, but a lot of that came from him running for his life or after he'd been sacked numerous times. I also agree that AJ is overall the best QB of the bunch, and I wouldn't trade him for anybody. With that said, I think GMac and AJ would have exactly the same amount of NC's that Brodie had if they would have played behind Bucketstep's OL's.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I fault Brodie for being a slacker in the weight room, but I really super fault Shula for letting the players' poor work habits become common knowledge. Rather than trying to satisfy demanding fans with good teams, Shula placated the fans by letting them get inside stuff they had no business knowing.