AJ Squats 600 Today

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Everybody works hard in the weight room with Cochran. AJ is leading by example and will be an even greater leader this year. No telling what Brodie could have done with Saban and Cochran.
I'm not sure Brodie would have even been offered a scholly had Nick been the coach here back then.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure Brodie would have even been offered a scholly had Nick been the coach here back then.
I'm not sure that's true. AJ didn't have that much body mass over what Brodie had. Brodie may have have the superior arm, by a little bit. Brodie would have had to toe Cochran's line, and Brodie got a pass on S&C. Brodie would have had a lot better chance in the pros, if he'd come up under Saban. Hard to tell. AJ's has had his physical problems, but he didn't have Brodie's congenitally bad knees...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm not sure that's true. AJ didn't have that much body mass over what Brodie had. Brodie may have have the superior arm, by a little bit. Brodie would have had to toe Cochran's line, and Brodie got a pass on S&C. Brodie would have had a lot better chance in the pros, if he'd come up under Saban. Hard to tell. AJ's has had his physical problems, but he didn't have Brodie's congenitally bad knees...
I'm not either, that's why I said I'm not sure he would. Brodie had a good arm--but that was pretty much it. More than anything,though, he was just here at a bad time in our history, and that of course is not his fault. Of course, the same thing could be same about Bart Starr, but we all know what different trajectories those two players' pro careers took.

Last edited:

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
click the link of the video and it says telly doesn't have any videos
I would have to see the video to see if this is a legit 600# squat. You can get into massive debates in the powerlifting world about what is and what isn't a legit squat because anybody can throw a ton of plates on a bar and just bend their knees a little and say they lifted it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would have to see the video to see if this is a legit 600# squat. You can get into massive debates in the powerlifting world about what is and what isn't a legit squat because anybody can throw a ton of plates on a bar and just bend their knees a little and say they lifted it.
He gets pretty low in the video. Does it only one time, but does it none the less.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Parallel-? About the only time I will actually believe a squat I didn't see is if it was done in a meet.

One time is all it takes to claim it.
Didn't look quite parallel to me, and it's unclear how much he was being helped with the spot. Doubt it would pass muster in the powerlifting world.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Parallel or not, this is pretty sick. I am impressed. I don't think many other starting QB's in CFB could or would do this. Save for Blake Bell, I can't think of any other QB's.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Parallel or not, this is pretty sick. I am impressed. I don't think many other starting QB's in CFB could or would do this. Save for Blake Bell, I can't think of any other QB's.
I agree, I don't know of alot of QB's anywhere that could even take 600 off the rack. We have had a few freaks come into the program that were really strong but I doubt could pull anywhere close to a 600 pound squat. In fact, I think Trent Richardson maxed out at that and he is a weight room animal and AJ doesn't really look like he lifts all that much. That also brings up something that I was wondering after reading this story in regards to Trent. The S&C staff give AJ a greenlight for attempting a squat that could very easily blow out his back or jack up his knees in a lift that in the grand scheme of things is not going to make him a better QB but they tell Trent he can't bench more than 475 Go figure.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
Carson Tinker doing 605. We have some strong players.
I agree, I don't know of alot of QB's anywhere that could even take 600 off the rack. We have had a few freaks come into the program that were really strong but I doubt could pull anywhere close to a 600 pound squat. In fact, I think Trent Richardson maxed out at that and he is a weight room animal and AJ doesn't really look like he lifts all that much. That also brings up something that I was wondering after reading this story in regards to Trent. The S&C staff give AJ a greenlight for attempting a squat that could very easily blow out his back or jack up his knees in a lift that in the grand scheme of things is not going to make him a better QB but they tell Trent he can't bench more than 475 Go figure.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Cannot really say hypothetically that Saban would not have recruited Croyle given his build, because he had the same build as McCarron and a couple of other quarterbacks we've signed under Saban.

I think we can definitely say that Croyle's prep background would have been far more scrutinized now than it was then, but even so given his ceiling, the fact that he was an in-state kid, and a 'Bama legacy, I still imagine Saban would pursue him if he was coming out of high school right now.

And I think we can say with 100% certainty that Croyle's work ethic, or lack thereof, would not have meshed at all with the Saban culture. He wouldn't see the field under a guy like Saban with his infamous weekly cameos in the weight room for a few minutes, nor would his relative lack of film study put him in a better position. Not necessarily trying to bash the guy now, mind you, but in truth it's never been seriously claimed that he outworked anyone. He was a guy who did what he did based on his raw talent, and who spent most of his time at UA basking in the fact that he was the Big Man on Campus. Of course, though, had that not been his disposition, he would have probably just stuck with Florida State...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Cannot really say hypothetically that Saban would not have recruited Croyle given his build, because he had the same build as McCarron and a couple of other quarterbacks we've signed under Saban.

I think we can definitely say that Croyle's prep background would have been far more scrutinized now than it was then, but even so given his ceiling, the fact that he was an in-state kid, and a 'Bama legacy, I still imagine Saban would pursue him if he was coming out of high school right now.

And I think we can say with 100% certainty that Croyle's work ethic, or lack thereof, would not have meshed at all with the Saban culture. He wouldn't see the field under a guy like Saban with his infamous weekly cameos in the weight room for a few minutes, nor would his relative lack of film study put him in a better position. Not necessarily trying to bash the guy now, mind you, but in truth it's never been seriously claimed that he outworked anyone. He was a guy who did what he did based on his raw talent, and who spent most of his time at UA basking in the fact that he was the Big Man on Campus. Of course, though, had that not been his disposition, he would have probably just stuck with Florida State...
You just never know what good leadership and management will do for a person. Croyle had none from his HC while he was at UA. If we could teleport his 18 year old self to present day Alabama, I'd wager he would have had a better work ethic (of course he would never make it otherwise). However, I'd also say that he would face competition at Alabama now unlike anything he faced back then. You are most likely right that he would have chosen FSU in that case.

He has his place in UA history as it is, and I'll remember some of those moments fondly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.