News Article: Texas considers beer sales

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm reminded of how littered the steps would be in the student section of BDS with little shooter bottles.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
We attended the FSU 2007 game in Jacksonville, where the stadium sells beer. Many of the FSU students in attendance got drunker the whole game, and one near us actually passed out. (Of course, they weren't the only ones drininkg, but we were close to that section, so we noticed them.) I believe a college game is better off without beer sales.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
We attended the FSU 2007 game in Jacksonville, where the stadium sells beer. Many of the FSU students in attendance got drunker the whole game, and one near us actually passed out. (Of course, they weren't the only ones drininkg, but we were close to that section, so we noticed them.) I believe a college game is better off without beer sales.
I was at that game, too. Hot as blazes, and because of the beer sales, traffic in the stands and the aisles was constant. People forever getting up to get more beer, or to go to the bathroom, or both. Miserable experience, not helped by the team's performance.

At one point, an Alabama fan was heading up the stands with a tray full of beer, and it was clearly not his first trip from the bar. Right in my line of sight, he stopped in the aisle, turned around and watched the action. This lasted for a couple of plays. He was oblivious, or just didn't give a rip about the imposition on his fellow fans.

In a non-confrontational manner, I finally said, "Hey, buddy...up or back. We can't see." Whereupon he invited me to perform what the legal eagles would call a crime against nature.

This from an Alabama fan.

There are drunks at every game, but it's not a pervasive problem in the current setup. I'm not aware that its even being discussed for Tuscaloosa, but if we sell beer during the games, it'll become pervasive, especially in the early part of the season when it's hot.

My goal is not to prevent imbibing...I'll continue to enjoy adult beverages on The Strip. My goal is to preserve the game day experience.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Jax State looked into it a couple years ago but apparently decided not to do it. I was surprised to learn when that was proposed that beer sales are legal at NCAA events. I think it is fairly common up north.
Yes, I believe it is. I was just at the University of Cincinnati for a basketball game a month ago and they were selling beer in the concession area. Kind of caught me by surprise.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I really enjoy a good drink.

You can see what will happen if all schools do it just go to any NFL game with your children.

Like I said I enjoy a drink but 2 beers then get in your car you are DWI. It's not worth it. I can wait 3 hours before having a drink & enjoy the game.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
But it's a mistake to have it freely available for sale in the stadium. Yes, there are drunks now. But just wait 'til they don't have to do anything much to get it.

Especially on a hot day, you'll have people up and down all the time -- either getting more beer or going to the bathroom or both. Our fan base already tends to be a bit reactionary when things aren't going well. Imagine what they'll yell out when they have a little extra fire water in them.
Standing in line to get concession takes a long time to do. By the time you get through it, your buzz will be gone. Not the most efficient way to get drunk. ;)

I think it is a good idea. I have seen fights in Bryant Denny where they don't sell beer. I am sure that we all have seen some of those fights, especially those of use who go to a lot of the games. I don't think that I've seen a lower rate of fights at Bryant Denny then in the Georgia Dome or than Superdome where beer is sold.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
But Bryant-Denny is not the place for beer sales. It would change the character of the experience, and make it more like a pro game, which tends to be rougher, coarser, and not an especially great place to take kids.
I agree. I wouldn't want that to distract or keep me from sneaking in a flask in my boot. I can't watch a Bama game in BDS without sipping on something prior to kickoff.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I fall back on the thought that this is still a game of college kids for college kids, where we alumni and friends are visitors. It's well known that many get drunk before the game, and many drink during the game, but adding more alcohol to the mixture will not help. I'm sure you've seen the fights in the fraternity blocks. Those kids need less access to alcohol, not more.

Sure there's money to be made, but at what cost of the non-drinker's experience and family experience. I would really hate to take my daughter to her first game and be surrounded by drunk fans. It would definitely be the last time I would take her to our great stadium to watch our great team. Anyone of age can drink before and after the game, but there's no real reason to drink during the game, unless of course you're addicted.

Not a fan of alcohol at the games, and for the record, I love a good beer myself.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Deloss and TX need to realize they are finished. They have joined the ranks of the big 16, pac-12, acc. It's SEC time. Enough said.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I don't see it as being a big problem because they'll jack the price up so high that most will just continue bringing in their own booze. At 8-10 bucks a beer it sure shouldn't have a big impact on the students. If anything it would probably result in a lot of folks partaking heavier than usual while tail-gating to get properly lubricated prior to the game.

Those that want to get stupid drunk are gonna find a way to do it regardless of how they have to do it.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Those that want to get stupid drunk are gonna find a way to do it regardless of how they have to do it.
True, but we don't have to, or need to, make it easier for them; let's at least keep making it more difficult. In addition, afterwards there are in excess of 90,000 fans driving home and the last thing any of us need to encounter are more drunk drivers, especially ones the University had a hand in creating. Talk about lawsuits just waiting to happen...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well all I knows is if Texas decides to sell beer it'll be the biggest, bestest, rooting tootingest beer in the west!! Yahoo!! Git along little doggies!

Whoo!! Texas!! Whooo!! Shoot, we're a whole 'nother place!

Don't mess with 'em. Not that anyone would want to. Hard enough not to step in 'em. Whoo!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
True, but we don't have to, or need to, make it easier for them; let's at least keep making it more difficult. In addition, afterwards there are in excess of 90,000 fans driving home and the last thing any of us need to encounter are more drunk drivers, especially ones the University had a hand in creating. Talk about lawsuits just waiting to happen...

Not really making it easier, but making it a LOT more expensive for sure. Much easier to smuggle in a bottle or flask of your booze of choice than making trips to the concession stands or waiting to catch a vendor in your area.

BTW, there's nowhere near 90,000 fans driving home after a game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The University itself is pretty well immune from suit...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
At what point in NFL games do they cut off beer sales?

Does UA actually do the concessions or does some company pay for the rights to run them?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.