Confession Time: Have You Ever Given Up on the Tide BEFORE A Game Was Actually Over?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And no, I don't mean when we're down 42-6 with three minutes left like 1998 Arkansas.

Have you ever had a Tide game when we were within a score and yet you gave up? Better yet - how often have you
given up and then we won?

What brought this up was I watched our LSU game from November, where AJ led the drive in Baton Rouge. I went over
and checked out the game thread to see what was going on and well, it wasn't pretty.

So have you ever done it - be honest.

I can name one right off the top of my head (to say nothing of the previous regime, when I usually figured "how are we
going to blow another fourth quarter lead" but I digress):

1998 LSU

That is one of my favorite games and admittedly bizarre. We SHOULD have lost - let's be honest. When we picked off Tyler
in the end zone and kept it at nine I figured we had a shot. Then when Pflugner's FG to make it a six-point game was blocked,
I actually DID give up.

But I did stay and watch the ending even though I figured we were done. Great one. The other time I'll admit was 2000 USM, when Zow threw the pick early in the fourth. Yes, I keep the game on, but boy was that awful.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think my thoughts can be summed up as such. Up until about the final minute of the 2000 ice bowl, I was convinced that we would somehow win.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
The most recent one for me was the 2010 USCe game. I gave up about midway through the 4th and went to take a nap. I didn't give up this year even when it looked like we were going to lose to LSU and TAMU (we did lose).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Confession Time: Have You Ever Given Up on the Tide BEFORE A Game Was Actually

During the Shul era. (Probation was...)
We managed to stay in most games, but...
We lacked the magic, the conditioning, the fortitude, and the coaching experience.
We didn't break a lot of hearts back then.
Our bend but not break Defense frequently was fractured.

As a man I liked Coach Shula.
As a coach, I was waiting for him to go.

Ty Webb

Suspended
Feb 3, 2012
Re: Confession Time: Have You Ever Given Up on the Tide BEFORE A Game Was Actually

Interesting question.

I remember sitting in the stands in the first quarter of the Alabama vs LSU game in November 2003 thinking there is ZERO ZERO ZERO chance that we were going to be able to beat the 2003 Saban coached LSU squad. I stayed for the whole game but knew we had NO chance.

The game looked like men against boys. LSU had Skyler Green, Bowe, Vincent, Broussard, Addai, Spears, Landry, Lavalais, Webster, etc.

LSU won 27-3 but it felt like 49-0.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Georgia game in 1985. Shula led a great comeback in the final minute.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010

2004 against South Carolina in Bryant-Denny - I don't know if I ever gave up, but it was one of the few (only?) times I ever saw an Alabama team give up. For the game, our 2 QBs combined for 4 interceptions. A definite lowlight of the Shula era.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al

yes. i went to college from 2003 to 2008 plenty of opportunties in there to give up on shula games.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Interesting question.

I remember sitting in the stands in the first quarter of the Alabama vs LSU game in November 2003 thinking there is ZERO ZERO ZERO chance that we were going to be able to beat the 2003 Saban coached LSU squad. I stayed for the whole game but knew we had NO chance.

The game looked like men against boys. LSU had Skyler Green, Bowe, Vincent, Broussard, Addai, Spears, Landry, Lavalais, Webster, etc.

LSU won 27-3 but it felt like 49-0.
This is a game I gave up on also but I think most of us had to since they dominated from start to finish. IIRC, we kicked a field goal in the final few minutes to avoid the shutout. That was when I started admiring Saban's team and disliking him since they were so good.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
the lsu game this past year. my cousin and i werent able to attend and were on thephone during the game. once we came back to win we both agreed to never let anyone know that our conversation ever happened.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
I attended that Southern Miss game. It's said that DuBose offered his resignation immediately after the game. (Alas, it was declined.)

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
This year during the A&M game. I got up and left the game at least twice, and kept coming back when it looked like we were going to pull it off. That still is one of the most gut-wrenching losses I've ever seen.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.