Texas has a problem

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Former track coach Bev Kearney was forced out after she admitted to an intimate affair with one of her athletes in fall 2012.

Then it became known that Major Applewhite had also had an illicit affair, but with a trainer/employee, not a student-athlete in 2009. He was retained, and got a raise in 2010.

Kearney is going to sue. She wouldn't have had a chance of prevailing had the Applewhite affair not surfaced.

The UT system's general counsel has resigned, and UT insiders say he was forced out.

An internal investigation has found that as many as four other coaches and/or administrators have been dipping their nuggets in inappropriate sauce cups.

These aren't just message board rumors, either. I have a number of professional contacts and colleagues who are UT alums. Two of these are five-figure donors each year, and both say that the whole athletic department is in butt-covering mode.

Edit to add: "Big Mike," a UT insider and blogger, has confirmed the knowledge of multiple illicit affairs.

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010
All of this is Alabama's fault ;-)

Mack honestly thought he was going to win that BCS Championship against Saban and waltz off into the sunset. He let standards slip everywhere, and when 'Bama won, there was no "Plan B." The skeletons are starting to stink over in Austin as a result.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
This is an understandable problem.

Most of Texas is ugly, dull, monotonous trashland where no-one with any sense or taste would want to live. The only reason that it is one of the most populous states is due to the affluence that is a result of vast drilling.

Huge amounts of drilling made Tejas what it is. It's in their nature, so to speak. :cool:

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

Most of Texas is ugly, dull, monotonous trashland where no-one with any sense or taste would want to live. The only reason that it is one of the most populous states is due to the affluence that is a result of vast drilling.

Huge amounts of drilling made Tejas what it is. It's in their nature, so to speak. :cool:
Well played. :cool2:

I have spent a lot of time in that state over the last four years. I have never met a UT grad who didn't think he was the smartest guy in the room.

If I'm the smartest guy in the room, our team is screwed.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Colt hadn't gotten hurt the track coach would not have had sex with the athlete.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
this is why Arkansas had to drop petrino. UT should have known better, a position coach isnt worth that kind of money or negative pub. especially a bad one.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012

Now you are getting away from football and irritating at least one Tide fan (me). I have no love for the Longhorns but plenty of respect for the state of Texas and the people from Alabama and all over the south who chose to live there, often for economic reasons. I have lived there and liked it and, yes I do have good sense because I would rather live in Alabama.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Seems like just yesterday I was reading about how much trouble was headed Auburn's way from the NCAA over Cam, etc...

I see we've now moved on to Texas and how bad they are going to get it.

Too bad Saban doesn't read Big Mike's blog...maybe he could have warned the coach who left Bama to take the job at Texas. It would be a shame to see him jump from Bama to a place ready to implode.

I hope Bama doesn't have many of these type donors who will write five-figure checks every year and then turn around and trash the Athletic Department.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Now you are getting away from football and irritating at least one Tide fan (me). I have no love for the Longhorns but plenty of respect for the state of Texas and the people from Alabama and all over the south who chose to live there, often for economic reasons. I have lived there and liked it and, yes I do have good sense because I would rather live in Alabama.
This.

Texas has the most accessible oil reserves in the continental U.S. and that was the stimulus for its development. Once the wells popped up, the money and everything else followed.

I can't recall ever hearing ANYONE say, "I moved to Texas because it was so beautiful here." It was always just because of employment opportunities.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

You are way off base about Texas. I have lived around the world, including three assignments in Texas. It's a vast, beautiful state. It's successful due to it's policies that support doing business and they have no state income taxes. They reformed their legal system for better a few year ago. And they allow charter schools and don't let the Teachers Union dedicate how schools should be run. I now love living in Alabama, which is also a great state, but putting down Texas does not make Alabama better.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
O/T, but there is at least one good reason why I have not moved back, over the last 40 years.

Do I miss it? Yeah. Am I leaving? Nope.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm a huge Bama fan living in Texas, and I do seem to recall Bama having a couple of incidents where coaches were engaged inappropriate behavior. I'm a big believer in Karma and while I don't want the past to repeat itself, never say never. It's just a fact of life. Whether it be a head coach, assistant coach or someone in the administration. Odds are there has been an affair or will be.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The wonderful thing about the state of Texas is the confidence of the people. The Deep South had it's but handed to them, and is just now pulling out of that. Texas hit the jackpot with the oil boom. Add in the optomism of the Western expansion, and you have a winner for of a state.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
These aren't just message board rumors, either. I have a number of professional contacts and colleagues who are UT alums. Two of these are five-figure donors each year, and both say that the whole athletic department is in butt-covering mode.

Edit to add: "Big Mike," a UT insider and blogger, has confirmed the knowledge of multiple illicit affairs.
Yep, I know several HS coaches/AD's with HUGE UT ties here in the DFW area and this was a big topic when UT was playing OSU in the Alamo Bowl. If the wrong coach is 'outed' they could make AU's shenanigans looks like amateur hour when it comes to recruiting.... There is a reason Major stayed....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.